• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Houndstooth suit

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
I have a suit in a fabric very similar to that one - chunky black-and-white houndstooth tweed. To add to it, the suit has somewhat funky 70s styling, with a very slim cut, patch pockets, substantial lapels and the trousers having a slight flare.

It fits me beautifully, but I generally feel a bit like I'm wearing a costume.

Will, that reminds me of a suit worn by a country cracker at the fair in the film version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It was a big loud houndstooth and best left in the past. No offense, I hope.

B

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i love a good houndstooth. but i do agree that it can be pulled off only as an odd jacket. unless you are some eccentric.

i have this rlpl 100% cashmere in charcoal houndstooth with subtle lavender windowpane sportcoat. pure lux

IMG_1078.jpg

See, I think that should totally be a suit!! I love the loudness!

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I really need to move to somewhere cold, since I seem to favor heavier and more winter oriented clothes.

You should move to San Francisco, where it's almost always late Fall. And no one would bat an eye for wearing a houndstooth suit.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
You should move to San Francisco, where it's almost always late Fall. And no one would bat an eye for wearing a houndstooth suit.

I'm getting this Minnis flannel done up right now as a three piece SB with a DB notch lapel vest:

0656.jpg

I feel that the jacket could work on its own, but we'll see.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm getting this Minnis flannel done up right now as a three piece SB with a DB notch lapel vest:

0656.jpg

- B

I'm getting it made up as well, but without the vest, naturally. I plan on using the coat separately, and perhaps the pants separately with a sweater if I am traveling and have a casual dinner.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I'm getting it made up as well, but without the vest, naturally. I plan on using the coat separately, and perhaps the pants separately with a sweater if I am traveling and have a casual dinner.

I really do think it can work that way, but I have to see it made up to be sure. Certainly the pants can work on their own.

Are you getting patch hip pockets on yours? I'm not, but if you do, that certainly would help it as an odd jacket.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really do think it can work that way, but I have to see it made up to be sure. Certainly the pants can work on their own.

Are you getting patch hip pockets on yours? I'm not, but if you do, that certainly would help it as an odd jacket.

- B

No, flaps. I only like patch pockets on very particular suits.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

0656.jpg

- B

Triplets!!
Not sure it is exactly the same cloth - I have it on a card in the office and can check. In any event, it is close enough to be embarrassing.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HewhoRubstheNacci
Triplets!! Not sure it is exactly the same cloth - I have it on a card in the office and can check. In any event, it is close enough to be embarrassing. \t\t \t \t\t
When they are completed can you guys get boaters and canes and do a Vaudeville photo especially for FNB? I'll pay for that.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, flaps. I only like patch pockets on very particular suits.

Wow. Get brown buttons, then...that's what I'm doing.

Mine will have a ticket pocket...you're safe from that.

Originally Posted by dopey
Triplets!!
Not sure it is exactly the same cloth - I have it on a card in the office and can check. In any event, it is close enough to be embarrassing.

You are having this made up, or is it in the office fabric museum?

Originally Posted by sarcasticfolly
^ I concur.

Me, too. When in doubt, concur.

- B

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a houndstooth suit. Posted pics a while ago and here they are again.
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
My humble contribution:
Houndstooth with Orange OverCheck suit
White with yellow stripe tie
Deep blue wool madder tie
cream silk pocket square with tripple brown pinstripe edging
and ofcourse suede monkstraps.

10230615541colourqv0.jpg

09290612281orangewithmonksrs9.jpg

And on London Lounge: http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...hp?f=36&t=6226
Originally Posted by oscarsfan
Hello,

Got some better pictures today. I think that paying attention to that wise etutee felllow is paying off. Would love your opinions on the suit and the outfit. Shirt has yellow/mustard pinstripes (can be seen in the closeups). Tie is wool. Suit is wool and silk (perfect for NY weather today). Pocket square is cream coloured silk w/dark brown triple stripe at the edges, "woven in England, Macclesfield" and was bought by my father either in 1953 or jus before the blitz days. This looked better when it was made and I was 5 - 8 pounds lighter. But I think it is still very wearable.

Thick wool tie

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great suit Oscarthewild...I couldn't wear it bit if you do have the right attitude ,it can look great...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads