• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What compliments did you recieve today?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because this depresses me and I'd like to think that the overall aesthetic of SF is fairly safe enough to at least generate some positive comments (otherwise it just gets sadder if the only people who care about our $1000 outfit are all online
uhoh.gif
)

Not today (sorry for cheating), but these have been recent (and btw, they're all girls).

-I got a lot of positive reactions when I wore my TaT suit around campus. The cashier complimented me and started a conversation, the train ticket lady also gave me a compliment, and a girl I knew also commented on it positively and began stroking the material (I notice this is common when girls like articles of clothing).

-Also, when I wore my crewneck, virtually everyone responded really well too it. Maybe there's just something about a crewneck sweatshirt? Eitherway, the first comment was "You just look really good today" and then later on, people started to single out the crewneck.

-I showed up at a party with some people from highschool I knew and this girl really liked my leather jacket. The first question she asked was "Is this real leather?" and after that, she just kinda examined it the way that girls tend to.

-The really cute Indian girl with the nice butt I always saw around everywhere complimented me on my white jeans. Unfortunately, that was also the first and last time I saw her before summer break. She said something along the lines of "Oh you're that guy I always see around in the cool white pants"

-My french teacher (substitute, not the hot one
angry.gif
) said something along the lines of "Oh you're very fashionable" in French as she was doing roll call.

And by compliments I mean compliments, ones that you find sincere. I usually brush off most remarks because people tend to be easily impressed by anything that isn't sweats, baggy jeans, and sweatshirts, etc, but these were ones that actually stood out to me.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I read through that thread and it amazes me how many people get irritated so easily. I mean, you're wearing drop-crotches in the suburbs...what reactions can you expect?

I mostly get comments on outerwear and footwear. I really like your coat, who makes those shoes, nothing special. Then again, I don't wear much that's special.
dozingoff.gif

m_wave

Reaction score

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't need external validation for my self-esteem. I wear the clothes I like because I enjoy them.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't read very far in that thread, but for the most part I'm guessing people who dress outside the norm, whether that's SF or SZ style, get pretty much the reactions they want to get.

Edit--in the spirit of lel's thread, people tend to like my shoes (other then my CPs, what with my cankles spilling out over the tops).

Doctor

Reaction score
OP: You seem insecure. You need to tell the internet that a girl with nice anatomy gave you a compliment. And to validate that all your compliments come from girls. And that they stroke your clothes.

Odd. Very odd indeed.

And why were you wearing a suit on campus???

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I don't need external validation for my self-esteem. I wear the clothes I like because I enjoy them.

As much as I agree with this, it [usually] feels really great when people come up to you and compliment an item of clothing, how you look, your style in general, etc. Not sure I want to brag about that here, but it certainly happens to me and I enjoy it.
thumbs-up.gif
Of course, I do also get the occasional skeptical/snide comment but I don't give a ****. I go to a pretty small school so basically everyone knows me and they pretty much know what to expect to a certain degree, I guess.

There were some older topics before about how it sometimes gets awkward when people ask you where you get your clothes from and who makes them and you sort of have to make that judgment call about explaining how, well actually, this is made by ____ designer...no you've probably never heard of him/her/it....where did I buy it..? Uhh...well there's this boutique in NYC/LA/Japan, or even better...you know, the internet...

Yeah that **** can get messy, Chrono taught me that discretion or playing dumb is usually the best answer.
teacha.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I guess I just don't deal with a lot of people who care much about what I wear, good or bad. In the spirit of the OP, though, I've only ever received compliments on a consistent basis from two people: my barber, and my wife. My barber tends to be a clothes horse and probably is even into better brands than what I wear, but he almost always makes note of something I'm wearing. My wife will usually say something like, "I do like that shirt," followed by the suspicious, "When did you get that?"

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I guess I just don't deal with a lot of people who care much about what I wear. In the spirit of the OP, though, I've only ever received compliments on my clothes from two people: my barber, and my wife. My barber tends to be a clothes horse and probably is even into better brands than what I wear, but he almost always makes note of something I'm wearing. My wife will usually say something like, "I do like that shirt," followed by the suspicious, "When did you get that?"

lulz doesn't she know by know that it's all from J Crew?

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the Japanese guys at work often compliment me on my shoes, mainly they're impressed that I own not only more than one pair of shoes, but more than one pair of the same colours. Oh also they're probably light in the loafers.

A beautiful young woman at work commented that I looked like a real gentleman, I asked if she meant that I only 'looked' like a gentleman and she said "of course because inside you're an echi ojisan". means dirty old man
nod[1].gif
Clever girl.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
lulz, ha, yeah, but while that's mostly what I talk about here, I do buy a few other brands. We both know where each of us buys our stuff--she's into j. jill, eddie bauer, and some times j. crew, for example. But her question is not so much the "where" as the "when." My reply is usually, "It was a great sale price. Really."

With my barber, the compliment evolves into a discussion of where to get the best bargains on good clothes. Although his shop has been around for a long time, he's hardly what I'd call really well off, and so he's developed this incredible knack for finding sales on great stuff. Then again, the guy puts most of his disposable income into his bicycles, of which he has about a couple dozen custom-made.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently, I've gotten a lot of compliments on my Common Projects desert boots, and on my Achilles, to a lesser degree. Girls often compliment my jackets too - for some reason, Robert Geller gets the most compliments, but my WWM Miane Guide jacket did as well throughout the winter. I sometimes get questions from guys about my jeans and belts, but I try to avoid any questions about pricing. Not once have I gotten a compliment on the fading on my jeans IRL, outsie of from industry people.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You're a great ****

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads