• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baltimore area tailor

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for Baltimore/Hunt Valley area tailor? Thanks in advance
cheers.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No. I've searched high and low for decent alterations tailors around here and I've come up empty every time. Supposedly there was some place called Mr. Bak's or something on Falls Rd. in Mt. Washington, and Mr. Bak was supposedly a Euro-trained tailor, but he's been bought out by Koreans. Then there was a little place in Catonsville called Nina's alterations, and Nina was supposedly an old Italian lady who had all the right skills, but she too has been bought out by incompetent Koreans. The kind of people who have your inseam measurement on file and think they can alter every pair of your pants now without measuring... or who only measure one sleeve of a jacket.
baldy[1].gif

I've heard that Glyndon Lord Baltimore cleaners is a very good cleaner; they're supposedly certified by some special cleaners' standard, but I've never tried them and I don't know how their alterations are.

If you're looking for bespoke or MTM, there is a place downtown called Victor Pascal, but I can't vouch for them; I've only browsed their website, never actually tried them or even been in the shop.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I've heard that Glyndon Lord Baltimore cleaners is a very good cleaner; they're supposedly certified by some special cleaners' standard, but I've never tried them and I don't know how their alterations are.

It looks like they have free home pickup and delivery... now I know the cleaners I'll be using when I go to school. Do you know what their rates are?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, no clue.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw one of their vans in the area doing a pickup/dropoff a couple of weeks ago and thought of using them. There is a decent dry cleaner nearby that I have been using and is pretty convenient so no real reason to change.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
No. I've searched high and low for decent alterations tailors around here and I've come up empty every time. Supposedly there was some place called Mr. Bak's or something on Falls Rd. in Mt. Washington, and Mr. Bak was supposedly a Euro-trained tailor, but he's been bought out by Koreans. Then there was a little place in Catonsville called Nina's alterations, and Nina was supposedly an old Italian lady who had all the right skills, but she too has been bought out by incompetent Koreans. The kind of people who have your inseam measurement on file and think they can alter every pair of your pants now without measuring... or who only measure one sleeve of a jacket.
baldy[1].gif

If you're looking for bespoke or MTM, there is a place downtown called Victor Pascal, but I can't vouch for them; I've only browsed their website, never actually tried them or even been in the shop.

Last time I called Victor Pascal looking for some shoulder surgery on a sportcoat, the guy told me they weren't capable of doing that
angry.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
Last time I called Victor Pascal looking for some shoulder surgery on a sportcoat, the guy told me they weren't capable of doing that
angry.gif

I did call them once to inquire about alterations tailoring. I won't say they were obnoxious, but I will say they really steered me away. I got the impression they don't want that kind of work; they'd prefer to be doing bespoke over hacking around with RTW stuff. I got the indication that had I become a bespoke customer, they would have considered it, but even then with a grain of salt.

I can't say I blame them; they want to be a bespoke tailor, so be it. I just can't imagine there is any client base here in Baltimore though, unless it's Ravens looking for huge suits in loud colors they can say are "custom."

blackbowtie

Reaction score
I know a couple of DC residents who actually travel all the way to Baltimore to have suits made by Victor Pascale...

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How do they feel about the results? Have you seen them? Any good?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pascal is a couple of blocks from my office. He's not obnoxious, he just doesn't do alterations. He gets the bolt ends of fabrics and offers very good prices on bespoke ($1500 and up I believe) and is always happy to chat and show you around his shop. He does the fittings and sub-contracts the cutting.
I have a tailor I consider adequate. He did a decent job altering the sleeves from the top on a jacket with functional buttonholes. I'd love to find someone really good in the area. For that, I believe you have to go to DC.

mbastian614

Reaction score
I will be attending college next year in Baltimore and I'm terribly sad of this newly acquired piece of knowledge. Looks I'll be heading back home more than i'd like
confused.gif

atct86

Reaction score
Is there anyone even in the county who could do working buttonholes? Are there any good tailors who could slightly alter a sport coat? (I get some wrinkles on the back of my neck of a RLPL blazer)

mgold

Reaction score
A friend of mine highly recommends Bell Tailors (#410-583-1647) on York Road, which is close to the Towson Mall. I just took a suit there, which is being altered now. Very reasonable pricing for all the work I am having done.

jeff21

Reaction score
Try Dobbin Custom Tailors in Columbia.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads