• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often to dry clean a suit?

blackbowtie

Reaction score
I completely subscribe to the idea of not drycleaning your suit more than 2-3 times a year. But I was out for lunch with a couple of female colleagues last week when they started asking me about my suits. I told them that I have 8 suits which I rotate on a biweekly basis (together with a blazer) at work, but they were absolutely horrified when I said that I don't have the suits dry cleaned more than twice a year. I told them that I brush my suit after each wearing, but they still found the notion gross.

Anyone else has had this experience? And does brushing really help if you've been sweating quite a bit in your suit, particularly the pants?

Quebec1977

Reaction score
First of all, I would say that anybody who must wear a suit everyday should have a minimum of 3 to 5 suits, for hygiene as well as for style reasons. I wear a suit everyday and I have 14 or 15 of them, though I no longer wear 2 of them. So I wear each suit about once every two weeks. One dry clean per year is enough, unless some emergencies, of course!

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
I told them that I have 8 suits which I rotate on a biweekly basis (together with a blazer) at work, but they were absolutely horrified when I said that I don't have the suits dry cleaned more than twice a year. I told them that I brush my suit after each wearing, but they still found the notion gross.

I am starting to get into the habit of ordering two pairs of trousers with my suit. I think if a person sweats a lot in his pants, they should be dry cleaned more often than twice a year but the jacket is ok because you always wear shirts.

svelten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madaboutshirt
I am starting to get into the habit of ordering two pairs of trousers with my suit. I think if a person sweats a lot in his pants, they should be dry cleaned more often than twice a year but the jacket is ok because you always wear shirts.

I agree. I dry clean pants alone more frequently than the jackets; often times a stain or odor in the pants doesn't indicate the jacket is dirty at all, hence further extending the life of the jacket.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose if you sweat like a mutherf**k#r then you might need to dry clean a bit more often. However, airing out a suit and good hygiene go a long way
smile.gif

B2C2V

Reaction score

Is it possible to order this way for RTW? Thanks.

Mark L.

Reaction score
If you wear it everyday, what do you wear when it is at the dry cleaner's? Do you vacation when it is being cleaned?

laughwithm3

Reaction score
how about linen suits? can you dry clean them more than wool suits?

Vino

Reaction score
I think it is. Try to steam the suit with good steamer and brush it after every wear. Suit rotation is another important thing too.

The more often you get your suit dry cleaned the sooner you have to buy new one!

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naslafu
NEVER the jacket.

I only clean the pants

I've been told that this will cause uneven wear of jacket and the pants. Do it often enough and your pants might start looking a shade lighter/different from your jacket.

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naslafu
NEVER the jacket.

I only clean the pants

I've been told that this will cause uneven wear of jacket and the pants. Do it often enough and your pants might start looking a shade lighter/different from your jacket.
Amen. That's what I've always been told as well.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
they were absolutely horrified when I said that I don't have the suits dry cleaned more than twice a year. I told them that I brush my suit after each wearing, but they still found the notion gross.

They don't know what they're talking about

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
go to search and ask for "a dry cleaning rant".

Spiral Stairs

Reaction score
In my brief time here, this is one area in which I've found myself illuminated. I used to get my suits (which I wear every day) dry-cleaned every 3 or 4 wears. Now, I'm trying to stretch it out. Two things hold me back:

1. I walk to and from work, and it's a 35-minute walk each way. When the weather's hot, I sweat.

2. I keep wondering what all you guys do about creases in your pants. My creases are pretty weak after 3 or 4 wears, and almost gone a couple wears after that. Are you guys all ironing/pressing at home? Or just going (nearly) creaseless?

Oh, and also ...

3. Two of my regular rotation summer suits are cotton (well, the BB BrooksCool blends). I love these suits immensely. However, it's my understanding from the scholars here on SF that cotton is not the "wonder fabric" that wool is, so I don't think I can go quite as long between cleans with these suits.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine someone who can wear the same suit day in and day out. I'd die of boredom alone.

Someone who doesn't have any money?

OP, you do need some more clothes. If you can't pay retail or even discount (Nordstrom Rack etc), check out your local thrift stores. Very little money can buy a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads