• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers? Boat shoes? Socks?

Indigo_phobia

Reaction score
My feet sweat a lot.. I need socks or else it smells bad... sux

Could you guys recommend me some nice loafer socks?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Indigo_phobia

Powder works very well, too. Baby powder or any other type will do. I gave up on loafer socks after learning about powder here on SF, powder really works for me.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right socks are fine if you don#t want your loafers to smell bad after wearing only 2-3 times.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by identity-x
you can get the super-low socks that barely come over your toes and barely up your heels from Brooks Brothersr...or, for that matter (and since they won't be seen anyway) from Payless for $3.

I've never seen them at Brooks. Link?

The Banana Republic ones are the only good ones I've seen.

The Johnston & Murphy ones really, really suck. Maybe they're OK for people with big feet (size 12+) but on a 10.5/11 they slide down of their own voliation. Pity, because they come in nude unlike the BR ones.

JFKJean

Reaction score
I wear socks with loafers when the weather dips below 45. Other than that, loafer socks are the way to go

jbmarine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Band aids and a higher tolerance for pain. Seriously, though, if the shoes are of good quality and fit well, this should not happen after a few wears.
Yeah. That's what I was told. But I figured that I can't go wrong with Sperry's in the 11's that I wear with everything else and also having had the SA tell me that they were the right size.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Finsen
What kind of no-show socks are those? Athletic no-show socks don't work very well with boat shoes or loafers since they sit too high.

Have you tried loafer-socks?

They're just some no-shows that I bought at Macy's. I believe they're made by Skechers? I looked around J&M's website but alas, I couldn't find the loafer-socks. You recommend them?
Originally Posted by identity-x
just how low are they?

you can get the super-low socks that barely come over your toes and barely up your heels from Brooks Brothersr...or, for that matter (and since they won't be seen anyway) from Payless for $3.

They're not low enought. They still show a bit above the tongue and give off that weird, metro-*** look that I hate.
angry.gif

identity-x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
I've never seen them at Brooks. Link?

Yeah...I was thinking of the Banana Republic ones...my bad.

Originally Posted by jbmarine
They're not low enought. They still show a bit above the tongue and give off that weird, metro-*** look that I hate.
angry.gif

Here are the BR ones...

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=555740012

Like I said, Payless carries the same thing by a brand called Dexter that has a similar cotton/nylon/spandex blend. They could stand to be the slightest bit longer, but in terms of height are completely invisible. They didn't slip off, but if you wear smaller than a size 10 (I'm a 10.5) I can't help but wonder if the might bunch when putting them on.

Cost...2 for $6

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spats
Wear socks if you think your feet might get cold, especially on a boat. It is only necessary to delete socks with loafers when wearing shorts. Little short socks, in all their variations, are queerbait. (Probably something wrong with that...)

Little short socks are queerbait
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

Maybe it was the little shorts you wear and not the little short socks?
nod[1].gif

little short socks
21oCL49omYL._AA280_.jpg

little shorts
c848b7e04acf4a170497ad44ad5ca483.jpg

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of getting "loafer socks", go to the women's sock section of any mass retail store and look for them. Sometimes they're called "invisible socks" or "sockettes". Obviously go 2 sizes up.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Powder works very well, too. Baby powder or any other type will do. I gave up on loafer socks after learning about powder here on SF, powder really works for me.
If you don't wear any shoe more than once a week it will not smell bad. The shoe dries out completely between wears and any bacteria living in the shoe dies of dehydration. If you are going to wear them day after day then you gotta worry!

atila

Reaction score
I wear Sperry's all the time (when I'm not selling jewelry, of course) and I alternate between 3 pairs - no socks, and no smell.

The only time I ever wear socks with them are when I'm wearing jeans at night and it's a really cold night, and then I will wear thin black dress socks. Otherwise, 90% of the time, sockless.

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
What are socks? Kidding, but with footwear like these, wearing socks looks/feels uncomfortable. Especially in warmer climate. Unless you have a good enough reason to need socks (w/ trousers in the cold, foot odor/fungus?), leave the socks in the drawer. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads