• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Half a size was what stopped me from getting an awesome deal on some really nice burgundy shoes for half off. If only it was half a size smaller. I walked around in it with a pad and thought at first it's not bad. I kept walking around in them for 30 minutes in the store (they like me a lot so it's not a problem) and after that realized that I just wouldn't be able to do it. Too much heel slippage.

They were really nice shoes too, and I needed a pair with rubber soles like they had
frown.gif

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must have weird feet, because I find I can comfortably wear lace-ups in sizes 10.5E (I think this is my correct size, and it is the one I will usually purchase) 11D or 11E. I don't know the proper names of foot parts, but my feet seem to be large in the vertical dimension as they approach my ankles, so a 10.5E feels good for length and width, but a balmoral in that size will "gap" in the laces, especially at the top. An 11E balmoral eliminates the gap, but is longish in the toebox. An 11D feels a little snug, but is OK.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This discussion needs to recognize that size covers length and width. Both need to match, and getting a larger size when one really needs a wider shoe does not solve the problem.

LaoHu

Reaction score
If you truly agonize over these differences, you may be a candidate for bespoke shoes. Sure, they're expensive, but if it means that much to you, perhaps the investment would be worth it.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have ordered one full size down before from my normal size - in carminas. Wider last, but my toes still crunch up a slight bit - hope to have them fully broken in someday...

svelten

Reaction score
I have shoes I enjoy in both size 9.5 and 10, so no, 1/2 size does not make a difference to me and I would imagine most people are overthinking things if they feel it is that essential.

Ed Sullivan

Reaction score
I think bluchers are better for people with moderate to high arches

Simple but important.!!!!

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am stuck in the worst group when it comes to shoes, as I am a 12.5 which is very hard to find. Many 13's are a bit too loose, and I always have to put in shoe inserts, and wear thick socks to compensate.

Good shoes are hard to find in 12.5.

I don't think I will buy any more until I step up and go bespoke. Something like a Corthay wholecut with a nice chisel toe shape in burgundy. Ohhh, or shell.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I've become militant about this. If the shoe doesn't fit in terms of length or width, I won't buy it/keep it. No pads, thick socks, etc.

Thick socks are good in the winter. They are warmer than thin socks.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I will dissent -- I think it is more important to "agonize" over lasts and shoe styles rather than 1/2 sizes.

My feet are different sizes, in slightly different ways, and they measure much longer in the arch than they do at the end of the toes. I have slim ankles for someone with my foot length. This sort of thing is typical: few people have perfect & symmetrical feet. My feet also get bigger toward the end of the day. Odds are your feet are somewhat deformed and different from one another and slowly changing shape over the hours or the years too.

To tweak the fit of a shoe, I can adjust sock thickness or wear a 3/4 length arch support, or not, or use tongue cushions or scaphoid pads. I can wear a shoe laced tight or loose. Fit is subjective. One half-size might fit slightly better than another, but the main factor is for sure the shape of the last and the degree to which the shoe's shape matches up with the shape of my foot. A last that fits me well will fit me, more or less, in two or three half-sizes. One half-size might be best, but usually another half-size near it fits acceptably well.

Style also matters. I think bluchers are better for people with moderate to high arches, and balmorals are better for people with low to moderate arches. Some people will get better fits from loafers; others need tie shoes.

And the material matters. Some leathers will predictably stretch more, with normal use, than others.

Good luck. In the end, there is no substitute for careful trial and error. Eventually you will find what works for you, and be happy about that.

Follow Dewey's advice. Also, pay a lot of attention to how the shoe fits from the heel to the ball of your foot. Some shoes will just never fit your foot.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I am stuck in the worst group when it comes to shoes, as I am a 12.5 which is very hard to find. Many 13's are a bit too loose, and I always have to put in shoe inserts, and wear thick socks to compensate.

Good shoes are hard to find in 12.5.

I don't think I will buy any more until I step up and go bespoke. Something like a Corthay wholecut with a nice chisel toe shape in burgundy. Ohhh, or shell.

I bet they're easier to find than 6s
frown.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is very important.

After years of experimenting I found that I don't want it loose in the heel but do want lots of room around the toes. If the instep is a tiny bit big, I can fix that with a tongue pad. Feet swell in warm weather and when you walk a lot. The extra room in the toe area makes all the difference in the world on a hot day or when you are running around town.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I must have weird feet, because I find I can comfortably wear lace-ups in sizes 10.5E (I think this is my correct size, and it is the one I will usually purchase) 11D or 11E. I don't know the proper names of foot parts, but my feet seem to be large in the vertical dimension as they approach my ankles, so a 10.5E feels good for length and width, but a balmoral in that size will "gap" in the laces, especially at the top. An 11E balmoral eliminates the gap, but is longish in the toebox. An 11D feels a little snug, but is OK.

Me to a tee...

Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
I go half size larger. I hate snug shoes. Makes my feet sweat even more. And a half size larger (depending on the shoes ofcourse) gives a touch of breathing room. If your feet are sliding in the shoes that seems like some shoe last that doesn't work for your foot shape.

There's a lot in that especially after you walk up town and dwardle for an hour and wonder why the shoes are so tight by 3PM that you have to loosen the laces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads