• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My 2 passions: Watches & Shoes (I)

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agavilanes
rimshot.gif
Where is the punch line?

The punch line is that some people's brain shuts off when they hear a word in an unknown language, rather than look for context. Just like the doughnut shop employee should have heard "Canadian Maple" and understood what my friend wanted, it's quite easy to decipher what's being said here, even if one doesn't understand Spanish.
Originally Posted by septiembre
Y empezamos a entrar en detalle: A los Monk Crockett & Jones Handgrade, les acompaña un IWC Ingenieur junto con un Baume Mercier Capeland Crono:
It isn't very hard to understand this, even if you don't know a lick of Spanish.

EdenResident

Reaction score
I think it's pretty rude to go on an English message board and write in another language. It's just me, though. Carry on.

Petyot

Reaction score
First of all, I usually read a lot this forum but almost never post. And I want to change that. I want to share with you a post that I made some time ago in a spanish watch forum, and I think is quite interesting.

The first chapter was about brown shoes. If it has success and people like it, I would go with parts 2 and 3. If you need translation of anything, just ask.

Kind regards

Originally Posted by EdenResident
I think it's pretty rude to go on an English message board and write in another language. It's just me, though. Carry on.

The OP offers to translate anything you need. His thread is about showing some pictures of shoes and watches. What's the difference if he writes in chinese or russian ? Can't you see the pictures because of that ?

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
All I was saying, is that from afar, all of your watches are sport watches with large round dials and gaudy faces...

Let's be fair. Those are not gaudy watches.

Felix Leiter

Reaction score
What I see is that newcommers sometime takes some punches here...but hey, It's a small price to pay
tounge.gif
for all the information.
Anyway most of the members are helpfull. Don't mind about some criticism. Everyone has the right to have their own opinion.
I think you do have nice timepieces and shoes! Congratullations!

septiembre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident

Ok, come on, I think that all of us know how to read, and that sentence seems that has been written only to upset. I clearly offered myself to translate, and I said also that I was copying something I posted on a spanish watch forum. That's why it's in spanish. I think that the names of the shoes and the watches are clearly understandable and I offered myself to translate... I can't understand the critics for it, but I accept them as being a newbe, although I don't think is a good way to receive someone that is offering something and is dedicating some effort to show some pictures to share common interests...

I've been reading this forum for years, and the first time I post I got some rudeness. As I said, I can't understand it, although i accept it.

Sorry for not taking the time to translate it all to english. Hope you can forgive me...

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by axe
The punch line is that some people's brain shuts off when they hear a word in an unknown language, rather than look for context. Just like the doughnut shop employee should have heard "Canadian Maple" and understood what my friend wanted, it's quite easy to decipher what's being said here, even if one doesn't understand Spanish.

It isn't very hard to understand this, even if you don't know a lick of Spanish.

I know. Just being a little snarky...

septiembre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Leiter
What I see is that newcommers sometime takes some punches here...but hey, It's a small price to pay
tounge.gif
for all the information.
Anyway most of the members are helpfull. Don't mind about some criticism. Everyone has the right to have their own opinion.
I think you do have nice timepieces and shoes! Congratullations!

Thanks for you comment.

The only difference is that you can get all the information reading without posting...

Having said that, I respect all the opinions.

septiembre

Reaction score
All I was saying, is that from afar, all of your watches are sport watches with large round dials and gaudy faces, and your shoes are all cap toe non-brogued oxfords.

Dear Jimmy, As i previously said, these are only my brown Oxford dress shoes. If you took a minute to read my posts, you could see that I offered myself to post some more pictures of the rest of my wathes and shoes wihch includes all my blacks, my loafers and my sport shoes. There is a lot of variety, but these are only my brown dress shoes. If you also took a time to see the pictures, there are some alden brogues, some cordovan derbys from C&J, some brogues EG and some monks. In my opinion, that is some variety for being only brown for dressing. It is true that some others look the same, but I can guarantee you that the last of the Hallam has nothing to do with the last of the Edward Green Chelsea for example. If you have some of those you should know. Also, I am not too much into big brogueing

Also, I respet your opinion on the watches but I dont agree. My classic Rolex air king (37mm clean face), my B&R (38mm), my tag carrera (38mm clean face), my ball moon (40mm), my sinn 756 (41mm clean face) and my Omega Seamaster (41mm clean face) really seem alll sport and Gaudy? I don't think that is very standard... I guess that many people will not think like you.

I recognize that my IWC Ingeniur is big... But, you don't know how I love that watch and how beautiful it is!!! Also, it is a classic from the 60s...

Dont worry that if i ever post my blacks, loafers and sport shoes, you will see mmy Patek Philippe, My Zenith Gran Class, my Omega Speedmaster and some other... Maybe you would like those. I also have a IWC Aquatimer, but I guess that you will also hate that one.

Good to share thougths, though... I would never had said that my watches collection is all big and Gaudy, but there are opinions for all. By the way, what watches do you have or like?

Regards.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Septiembre, as a fellow watch collector, I know your watches are not gaudy. It's nice to see you have a variety of brands, especially the Balls. Thanks for the pics!

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of your shoes look the same, and all of your watches look the same. Where is the variety?

That's the same as most people have 2 eyes, 1 nose, and a mouth? So all people look alike to you?
confused.gif

The guy's shoes are nice and the watches look nice. I hope the few rude dudes don't run him away.

septiembre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
That's the same as most people have 2 eyes, 1 nose, and a mouth? So all people look alike to you?
confused.gif

The guy's shoes are nice and the watches look nice. I hope the few rude dudes don't run him away.

Thanks very much and dont worry. I dont run away that easily...

If those look the same, when I show the blacks...

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry because I don't know Spanish but outside of a couple of pictures, your nice watches and shoes don't match at all. Not that that it matter usually, but since that's the point you are trying to make, I'd wish you'd try a little more hard next time. However, a couple pictures are really, really nice.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really knew I could see that comment on a watch forum, but never on styleforum. As quoted on the post, this are only the Oxford brown shoes. There could be following posts with black, loafers and casual shoes (my collection is quite big). I never thought than on styleforum I would read that cordovans, monks, oxfords and derbys and all in different lasts (Hallam is very different than Audley for example) are all the same. Even there is a comparison between english as C&J and EG and americans like Alden and AE. The same for the watches. What has an IWC Ingeneer has to do with a classic Rolex, a Bell & Ross a baume mercier a Tah a Hamilton Sinn and a UTS? It is quite ignorant to say that. They are not all crono or all sport or all divers... they a re all pretty different. I am disappointed. I see that some did the same with "el aristocrata". Is true that people here are too close and when someone new (that is doing an effort posting pictures) appears many people just critizice them? I just wanted to share pictures...
I (causally) understand your frustration. The percentage of competent posters on this forum is very very low. What is more (and arguably worse), sometimes I suspect that some of the very few very competent posters perversely revel in this situation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads