• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

whistler

Reaction score
This Herringbone jacket is on sale at their outlet store for A$200. 60% cotton 30% linen. I think it's the jacket Phat Guido was sprucing a while back.... The first pic is size 40... fits around the waist and shoulders, but the arms are too short. Does it look too small? Second pic is size 42.... a little big around the wait but fits better on the arms. Third pic is detail of size 40.
IMG_0149-1.jpg
IMG_0152-1.jpg
IMG_0150-1.jpg

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd have to say that the jacket hits your hips wrong length-wise - makes you look very wide, which it doesn't seem like you really are.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red Wing Wabasha Chukka

Not decided between the reddish leather or the tan suede. Also not really sure about sizing on them.

Alternatives are Clarks DB in wolf suede (if i can find them in my size
confused.gif
) or these sperrys

So to buy or not?

Lachy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whistler
This Herringbone jacket is on sale at their outlet store for A$200. 60% cotton 30% linen. I think it's the jacket Phat Guido was sprucing a while back....

The first pic is size 40... fits around the waist and shoulders, but the arms are too short. Does it look too small?
Second pic is size 42.... a little big around the wait but fits better on the arms.
Third pic is detail of size 40.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...IMG_0149-1.jpg http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...IMG_0152-1.jpg http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...IMG_0150-1.jpg

Get the 42 for the length, and take it to a tailor for adjustments to fit the waist and shoulders.

erbs

Reaction score
Should I get a Belstaff Trialmaster or a Barbour International?

I like the look of the Belstaff better right out of the box, but the Barbour could look as good with some wear. Also, the Belstaff is like $250 more expensive, and I've heard quality has been slipping since they were sold to the Italians. Thoughts?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
Red Wing Wabasha Chukka

Not decided between the reddish leather or the tan suede. Also not really sure about sizing on them.

confused.gif
) or these sperrys

So to buy or not?

Go with the Clarks. I've tried a couple boat shoe/chukka hybrids and they've all been a little awkward. If you want boat boots, go for something taller like Sebago Lighthoues or those RG x Quoddy boots.

Y The Last Man

Reaction score
Should I drop $750 CDN + taxes for a Paul Smith COTTON suit? It fits perfectly but I'm worried givren the fact that it's cotton.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Y The Last Man
Should I drop $750 CDN + taxes for a Paul Smith COTTON suit? It fits perfectly but I'm worried givren the fact that it's cotton.

Pictures? What's the construction like? I'm assuming you already have a nice wool suit or two for fall/winter. If that's the case and it's canvassed ( or even half canvassed) and fits you well, go for it.

Y The Last Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Pictures? What's the construction like? I'm assuming you already have a nice wool suit or two for fall/winter. If that's the case and it's canvassed ( or even half canvassed) and fits you well, go for it.

Couldn't get pics because Holt has no mirrors not in plain sight :p It's reduced from 1400 and the constructions is excellent. It would be my first suit though, which is why I hesitated on it. Can you really not wear cotton in the fall?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably go for something like a wool Hickey (they were on Gilt for $400-500 today) for my first suit, but if you don't need to wear it to work all through the winter, just get it. It'll make you happy.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
Red Wing Wabasha Chukka

confused.gif
) or these sperrys

So to buy or not?

Get the RW´s, looks great, and are sure to be much better quality than Clarks. However, they are quite different styles...

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erbs
Should I get a Belstaff Trialmaster or a Barbour International? I like the look of the Belstaff better right out of the box, but the Barbour could look as good with some wear. Also, the Belstaff is like $250 more expensive, and I've heard quality has been slipping since they were sold to the Italians. Thoughts?
Anyone?

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X6DUz.jpg

I really, really like this. For $110 it doesn't look to be bad either... I've been digging a lot of the whole nautical thing lately (though I can never really get into the boat shoe craze, but these boot things I'm really attracted to) especially with Rogues Gallery stuff.

RG had a really sweet one made by Quoddy but the cheapest I can find those are around $400.

27948_1.jpg

Which really looks better? I'm leaning towards Sebago right now just because of the price. Or if anyone knows any other alternatives that would be cool too!

newinny

Reaction score
I picked these up on Yoox but have never owned a pair of Dior jeans before. I'm a little hesitant that they may look like acid washed jeans. Anybody know what type these are? yoox

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads