• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a suit to a club

ozymandias

Reaction score
Yes..No? I recently watched a video where a few image consultants claimed that unless you are Jay Z it's not worth doing. Isn't it one thing rappers (the better ones) got right? Always look like you have somewhere better to be.

Just to clarify I'm not talking about middle management in Delaware suit, but something modern which some like to refer as the RLBL syndrome. Maybe a more colorful shirt/tie than you'd wear to work.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Depends probably on the type of club you are referring to.

Exactly. A suit is mandatory, for example, if attending a club such as the Athenaeum in Melbourne (or similar such clubs elsewhere). If it's a night club, then no, probably not.

satorstyle

Reaction score
If you plan on really working up a sweat I would say sans tie, or a sport coat and slacks.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're a frequent club goer, it might be worthwhile to buy a buget fashion suit from H&M or Zara. Many celebrity clubs in LA require you to wear a jacket. Unless you're buying bottles after bottles, wearing a suit would often win you favors with club bouncers/organizers.

ozymandias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Exactly. A suit is mandatory, for example, if attending a club such as the Athenaeum in Melbourne (or similar such clubs elsewhere). If it's a night club, then no, probably not.

While that looks intriguing I meant more in a nightclub type of way. Obviously Ibiza, and the cream of Moscow and NY are not in question.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never wear a good suit in a club for obvious reasons...Cigarettes burns , alcohol or food stains , need for constant dry-cleaning (death by chemical)..

NotchLapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Never wear a good suit in a club for obvious reasons...Cigarettes burns , alcohol or food stains , need for constant dry-cleaning (death by chemical)..

Yes I have to agree don't wear your best suit or blazer.

I would say dumb down the suit. For example, a blazer and a good pair of dark wash jeans with a white dress shirt and a skinny tie would be a nice club attire. It shows class but makes the outfit go from formal to classy casual.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
totally agree with Benjamin, get a cheaper slim cut "club suit" from Zara/H&M/Polo (on sale) or something like that... you don't want cheap beer or rum coke or vodka ruining your jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads