• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Mart--Alden Whiskey

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
There is a premium for the ol' ladies to sew up that NST.

Then they should do a better job.
fight[1].gif

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Then they should do a better job.
fight[1].gif

I want them to do a slightly worse job. The more exotic shell seconds at $379, the better.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

theshoemart

Reaction score
I'm not going to say that $675 is not expensive, but you get what you pay for in this case. It could be years before Alden has the shell cordovan leather that is the right pigment to make whiskey shell cordovan shoes again.

Mr.WAYWRN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshoemart
I'm not going to say that $675 is not expensive, but you get what you pay for in this case. It could be years before Alden has the shell cordovan leather that is the right pigment to make whiskey shell cordovan shoes again.

This complete BS. Horween has plenty of stock at the moment. I spoke with Skip Horween earlier in the month. This is simply hype created to justify an unworthy markup on your shoes which is much higher than your competitors.

puffdaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.WAYWRN
This complete BS. Horween has plenty of stock at the moment. I spoke with Skip Horween earlier in the month. This is simply hype created to justify an unworthy markup on your shoes which is much higher than your competitors.

In fairness to shoemart AND to Horween, there's another player in this and based on what I have heard, they seem not so enthralled with making whiskey shell shoes. I have no idea why, but there CLEARLY is more whiskey shell out there then they might have you believe.

The propoganda about the shortage has spread to Alden retailers who pass it along as fact.

Toorman

Reaction score
Not for me at $67.50 let alone $675. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The price is astronomical, especially compared to the price last year. IIRC, they were $575 or $595 last year.

Ouch! I'm glad I got my split toe Aldens (cigar, not whiskey, but I think this style looks better in cigar - and dare I write it No. 8, too! - than in whiskey) in the early part of this decade. Inflation has not been nearly as steep as the price rise in these things.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Nice shoes!
What's w/that avatar, btw?

All this talk of Rich, Buttery , Whiskey Shell Cordovan made me thirsty.

deltashell

Reaction score
I've got a pair of whiskey wingtip bal seconds on the way from shoe mart! Can't wait! Whiskey is an amazing color.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.WAYWRN

Originally Posted by puffdaddy
In fairness to shoemart AND to Horween, there's another player in this and based on what I have heard, they seem not so enthralled with making whiskey shell shoes. I have no idea why, but there CLEARLY is more whiskey shell out there then they might have you believe.

The propoganda about the shortage has spread to Alden retailers who pass it along as fact.

I've been told by several shoe makers that they can get it, but most of it's rejected because the coloring isn't very good. Rather than deal with that, they just prefer not to offer it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads