• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You're Overdressed!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I'm dressed how I like to dress"

or

"No, I was just bored"

or

"Am I?".

trogdor

Reaction score
The correct answer is:

"That's because your mum always makes me put my suit back on after I've fucked her."

Liberty Ship

Reaction score
I get accused of being "overdressed" a lot. Even when I wear jeans, boots, and a sports jacket. I have become adept at finessing the comment. In this case, I would have responded, loud enough for as many people to hear me as heard the boor, "I dressed this way out of respect for the event, the engaged couple [name them], and the hostess. How did you decide what to wear?"

But sometimes, I just comment that I need to wear a jacket to conceal the GUN.

You can take some comfort that the boor would probably have dressed no differently under any circumstances. His rude comment is indicative of a pathetic loser trying to neutralize what he saw as a threat. Probably a life long pattern -- easier to cop out and be rude than to step up.

chewy

Reaction score
I've always thought it is rude to BE overdressed. The fundamental concept of manners is to make everyone else you're around feel comfortable.

chewy

Reaction score
Calling someone out on their being rude is also very rude. So, yes, in that sense it is rude to call someone out on being overdressed.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Why would you assume "you're overdressed" was meant with malice or as an insult?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
Why would you assume "you're overdressed" was meant with malice or as an insult?

Neither of those are required for a lack of propriety.

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chewy
I've always thought it is rude to BE overdressed. The fundamental concept of manners is to make everyone else you're around feel comfortable.

Showing up wearing t-shirt, shorts and flip-flop at an engeagement party is ok, while trying to pay some respect and wearing a tie and coat is rude!!! WTF??

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Taking the pants off and showing my shiny thong just makes them shut up.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This thread has totally delivered.

Next time Skinny, look the guy up and down slowly, then say, "Well, I can see why you would feel that way...but I've had rough times before too, it'll be all right."

One of my personal rules of life are, I'd rather be overdressed, than underdressed.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liberty Ship
I get accused of being "overdressed" a lot. Even when I wear jeans, boots, and a sports jacket. I have become adept at finessing the comment. In this case, I would have responded, loud enough for as many people to hear me as heard the boor, "I dressed this way out of respect for the event, the engaged couple [name them], and the hostess. How did you decide what to wear?"

You can take some comfort that the boor would probably have dressed no differently under any circumstances. His rude comment is indicative of a pathetic loser trying to neutralize what he saw as a threat. Probably a life long pattern -- easier to cop out and be rude than to step up.

I'd love to say something like that to someone being rude, but I dont think it would work out very well.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This thread has totally delivered.

Next time Skinny, look the guy up and down slowly, then say, "Well, I can see why you would feel that way...but I've had rough times before too, it'll be all right."

One of my personal rules of life are, I'd rather be overdressed, than underdressed.

LOL, this is Gold! This one is going into the lineup!

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liberty Ship

This is gold.

Medtech71

Reaction score
Still no one has eplained how a suit a tie is rude exactly?? Door men wear suits and ties...insurance salesmen wear suits and ties....game show hosts wear them...but you shouldn't wear one to an engagement party? I would think that if the occassion was that informal, then the host or hostess should have clarified the dress before hand. The onus is on the inviter not the invitee...it is extremely rude of them to not have done this, and that makes them arseholes - with a capital arse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads