• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ LOL

that was the picture used in an article on the fred perry ban in Germany because it's only worn by "neo-nazis". and yea, that's me.

Adolf....great username

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
some more pics from the archives of history, thanks to Loem at UKS for these.... might have posted some of these earlier in the thread but worth repeating, photo from 1969
gallery_12966_2245_66880.jpg
1970/71 Skinhead/Suedehead
gallery_12966_2245_41868.jpg
gallery_12966_2245_69512.jpg
gallery_12966_2245_79002.jpg
gallery_12966_2245_57524.jpg
gallery_12966_2245_26132.jpg
gallery_12966_2245_32237.jpg
gallery_12966_2245_65800.jpg
gallery_12966_2245_63436.jpg
1971_soulnighter.jpg
gallery_12966_2251_57123.jpg
gallery_12966_2251_34882.jpg
gallery_12966_2251_50140.jpg
gallery_12966_2251_23242.jpg
gallery_12966_2251_5913.jpg
gallery_12966_2251_1294.jpg

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day I had a run-in with someone who I think was an American skinhead. He had a shaved head, beard and mustache, and was hostile and aggressive to me for no reason. He was not dressed fashionably, but was instead wearing ill-fitting jeans and a transformers t-shirt.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
The other day I had a run-in with someone who I think was an American skinhead. He had a shaved head, beard and mustache, and was hostile and aggressive to me for no reason. He was not dressed fashionably, but was instead wearing ill-fitting jeans and a transformers t-shirt.

That is not a skinhead. that is a dickhead.

shaved heads and bad attitudes do not always indicate a skin. most often they're just rednecks or idiots in general. I would NEVER be caught in a transformers t-shirt. NEVER.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic

yea, dickhead sounds appro. Unfortunately many "American skinheads" really have no clue about much to do with skinhead.

since it sounds like it could be a fun tangent, in what way was he hostile and aggressive to you?

aizan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Brutus shirts now avail at Jump the Gun

Brutus was one of the original shirtmakers (along with Ben Sherman) that was popular in the traditional skinhead era. I dont know much about these new reissues, and who bought the name/company rights, but they look alright and worth a try. Not too expensive either.

what's the sizing like? 34/36 equates to a bit large on a 34, and a bit small on a 36?
lookaround.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I got the Med, fits like a Fred Perry 38, so more like a US Small

I'd guess the S would fit more like a 36 (than a 34)

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I really feel like the suedehead thing could be for me (clothing wise), though I feel that even in the midwest dressing sharp and having a cropped haircut would make me stand out in ways I probably don't want to stand out.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I really feel like the suedehead thing could be for me (clothing wise), though I feel that even in the midwest dressing sharp and having a cropped haircut would make me stand out in ways I probably don't want to stand out.

in all honesty, I doubt that most people would give it a second thought. 99% of the people you see have no clue what a suedehead is and certainly wouldn't know what denotes one by looking at you. i wish it wasn't the case but it is. skin maybe. suede i seriously doubt it.

suede>skin.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yea, there's nothing menacing or stereotypical adopting a suedehead look. The whole thing about taking on the traditional skinhead style of dress is that others will look at you and think "oh there goes a nicely dress young man wearing old man clothes" haha, but that's some **** you can grow old with and never follow 5-minute fashion like the rest of the herds It's all about the details, making sure trousers are hemmed just right, tapered just right, clean and pressed...just maintaining some sort of smartness and a consciousness to fit. And ultimately it's all about working class clothes so there's no need to go for expensive labels (unless you want to) since all the gear is available for an affordable price hey ya got the JtG shirt already, so ya gots yer foot in the door already
wink.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
btw, re: Brutus shirt....like similar Ben Shermans, it's a cotton/poly blend fabric. I actually like having a few blend shirts in the closet since I can wash, dry and no need to iron.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In ye olden tymes, was Ben Sherman down market from Fred Perry? Did FP always have greater cache?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
no, Ben Sherman had more pedigree than Fred Perry. The Brutus and Jaytex shirts were also inferior to Sherman, tho BS was more known for striped shirts and Brutus for its plaids and windowchecks.

back then Fred Perry only had polo shirts and tennis gear, and the popularity of them among skinheads didnt really happen until 70/71. at least that seems to be the historical consensus. It was always worn to some degree but after the mods wore it til mid 60s, FP wasnt really a part of the original 68/69 class of skinheads

FP has done well to upmarket itself as a "quality" brand that still retains its heritage, but BS has really fallen into the WTF category, tho they do occasionally put out a nice item or two. but it's rare.

Kris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie

I thought he meant people would think he's gay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics