• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You're Overdressed!

rlx

Reaction score
Better to just smile and ignore the comment. Some people just don't know any better.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think it was another way of saying "you're making us look bad!"

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Well, if you go around looking like Alpa Chino in your dark suit/dark tie, that's what you get.

I've never been told that, even when I was. If I'm the only person wearing a tie, I'll put the tie in my pocket, and maybe lose the coat if we're talking sumemrtime, but after that...****'em.

Sometimes, though, it's more a matter of not being overdressed but rather too formal in your outfit: a navy blazer/grey trouser is more formal/dressy than brown coat/beige chinos.

So, you're saying I got exactly what i deserved. Ahh, see now this is the type of answer I come to expect on SF, thank you sir!

mcmurphy

Reaction score
I would have laughed about my mistake, hung up the jacket and tie and enjoyed myself. I don't care how they do it "in your family" (a bit elitist, are we?), you looked out of place and someone called you on it. Don't be angry at that person because you ended up looking obnoxious.

Oh, and I'm new to this forum...if I keep reading, will I start overdressing for parties all the time and then blaming everyone else for underdressing?

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Who gives a **** dude... it just shows you put an effort forward to the hosts.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcmurphy
I would have laughed about my mistake, hung up the jacket and tie and enjoyed myself. I don't care how they do it "in your family" (a bit elitist, are we?), you looked out of place and someone called you on it. Don't be angry at that person because you ended up looking obnoxious. Oh, and I'm new to this forum...if I keep reading, will I start overdressing for parties all the time and then blaming everyone else for underdressing?
Who does this guy think he is? ...calling someone well dressed obnoxious

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(a bit elitist, are we?) Yeah Oh, and I'm new to this forum...if I keep reading, will I start overdressing for parties all the time and then blaming everyone else for under dressing?
Yes, at some point you'll realize that if you don't look like **** and fit in, you're fucked!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
Who does this guy think he is? ...calling someone well dressed obnoxious

Thats what i was thinking, I come from an attitude of making my guests feel welcome, not ostracizing them for not being mind readers.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have laughed about my mistake, hung up the jacket and tie and enjoyed myself. I don't care how they do it "in your family" (a bit elitist, are we?), you looked out of place and someone called you on it. Don't be angry at that person because you ended up looking obnoxious. Oh, and I'm new to this forum...if I keep reading, will I start overdressing for parties all the time and then blaming everyone else for underdressing?
This kind of attitude is terrible. He's not elitist for giving a ****. He showed up to a party, he didn't walk in and scream out 'You're supposed to dress like ME!' If someone adheres to the bare minimum standards for themselves, it doesn't make the others elitist, it makes that person lazy/ignorant/shy/whatever their reason is for choosing the bare minimum. If SkinnyGoomba were humble about his dress, why can't others enjoy the sight of a well-dressed man instead of clawing at him to drag him back down to their own level? It's akin to the no less puerile way of clamoring 'Mom! Billy has more cereal than me!'

Hany

Reaction score
Simple answer to such comments: "Look son, there's no such thing as being overdressed."

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Yes, at some point you'll realize that if you don't look like **** and fit in, you're fucked!

It's a race to the bottom out there my friend. You can either join the descent or say '**** 'em' and keep on swimming.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Being overdressed can also be considered rude.

How so? I think there is not enough respect and consideration these days for the host. After all the effort put into making it somewhat of a special event I think by dressing up you are in a way telling the host that the event is a special one and that you are honoured to have been invited (hence the extra effort in dressing).

Turning up to a BBQ in a suit, for instance, may be impractical - for you rather than anyone else - but I don't see how it can be construed as "rude".

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
How so? I think there is not enough respect and consideration these days for the host. After all the effort put into making it somewhat of a special event I think by dressing up you are in a way telling the host that the event is a special one and that you are honoured to have been invited (hence the extra effort in dressing). Turning up to a BBQ in a suit, for instance, may be impractical - for you rather than anyone else - but I don't see how it can be construed as "rude".
It's rude because none of the other guests are dressed up. You don't go to a party to one-up everyone else. especially not the host. Your intentions are admirable, but not everyone will see it that way.

kannoos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
It's rude because none of the other guests are dressed up. You don't go to a party to one-up everyone else. especially not the host. Your intentions are admirable, but not everyone will see it that way.

That only works if there's a specified dress code, or if the level of formality expected is pretty obvious (eg a barbecue). For something like an engagement party, the expected level of formality can evidently vary a lot and is hard to predict without a dress code, so it would be wrong to call someone out for being either underdressed (unless they actually look indecent, I suppose) or overdressed (unless they're wearing something that's obviously over the top, such as court dress).

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's rude to call someone on being overdressed and don't think that you were in this case, but I do think it is possible to be overdressed. Generally though I think of being overdressed as when one's atire is entirely out of place. It is not out of place to wear a coat and tie to a cocktail party or a barbeque, but it might be inappropriate to wear a dinner jacket and that would be overdressed. Generally though comments like "you're overdressed" really mean "****, I look bad in comparison."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads