• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown Shoes with Gray suit?

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
It was a bad idea in the first place. I'd use the opportunity to get my kid a suit that he could use again and again in college.

But, shouldn't every gentleman... beginning at about college age, own their own dinner jacket/tuxedo?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I think that was typo and should read "Cap-toe Oxford" and not brogue. Wing-tips, such as your McClains, do not have cap-toes anyway.

So the rule is: something like an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in brown can only be worn with a suit?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
So the rule is: something like an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in brown can only be worn with a suit?

Rules are made to be broken.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point... I've been wearing the brown Park Aves with my cotton trousers too lol

And when my black cap toe shell bluchers come in the mail I'm going to wear those with navy cotton trousers.... so good to know that the look can be pulled off

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Brown shoes are the most interesting to look at. all colors of them. You only live once so do whatever you like. Yesterday I wore some tan loafers with a charcoal suit. I don't care what anyone thinks either. it looked great and caught people's eyes. ok i wore charcoal pinstripe suit, striped white shirt. no tie, no belt and my tan loafers. -primo.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
Brown shoes are the most interesting to look at. all colors of them. You only live once so do whatever you like. Yesterday I wore some tan loafers with a charcoal suit. I don't care what anyone thinks either. it looked great and caught people's eyes. ok i wore charcoal pinstripe suit, striped white shirt. no tie, no belt and my tan loafers. -primo.

were you zipped?

Yika

Reaction score
when wearing a brown shoe and matching brown belt, must the shades of brown be similar or is it acceptable to be of different shades ?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yika
when wearing a brown shoe and matching brown belt, must the shades of brown be similar or is it acceptable to be of different shades ?

In my opinion, either match completely of throw contrast out the window and where what you want. If you're going formal though, match exactly.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r
But, shouldn't every gentleman... beginning at about college age, own their own dinner jacket/tuxedo?

That would depend upon his social circumstances. I have never required one.

shutout

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back such an old thread, but I am kind of confused on the details of light brown going with light gray....and sure everyone says go with what YOU think looks good, I am just looking for a little guidance. I am thinking about going with this look in the attachment.

I was looking to wear a tan-ish shoes and belt with this, but got thrown off with people saying always wear dark brown with gray....

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

krawlxx

Reaction score
I feel like everyone is talking about matching suits with shoes, but doesn't anyone else consider their shirt and tie?

I have a light grey suit, and if I'm going white shirt/black tie I'll wear black shoes for a very classic look. If I feel like my shirt and tie combo is already colorful, then I'll also chose black shoes for that. For most other shirt/tie combos I'll go with brown.

run23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by krawlxx;
I feel like everyone is talking about matching suits with shoes, but doesn't anyone else consider their shirt and tie?

I have a light grey suit, and if I'm going white shirt/black tie I'll wear black shoes for a very classic look. If I feel like my shirt and tie combo is already colorful, then I'll also chose black shoes for that. For most other shirt/tie combos I'll go with brown.

Good point. I generally wear some shade of brown with just about everything, except when I'm doing the classic white shirt/black tie look or when the shirt/tie combo gets a little too bold.

Mikael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by krawlxx

I don't really think about it. Then again, I almost always wear a white shirt (to the office), and don't have too loud ties, so I guess I'm always good to go with brown shoes...

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got great difficulty matching ties with my shirts so I always end up getting striped ties, university ties and plain ties. Don't seem to be able to bring myself to wear ties with a pinkish flair of cartoon prints a la Hermes.

On a side note, what do you guys think about university ties. Okay to be worn out? or should they be stashed in the cupboard once you've graduated?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads