• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Necessary" Sport Coats:

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is foo really going to argue that he doesn't need a navy blazer?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Is foo really going to argue that he doesn't need a navy blazer?

I have one, but I never wear it. When would I ever need to where something else wouldn't work? I'm not saying it's not a nice thing to have, and easy to wear, I'm just not sure you need one.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Diavolo
Green Harris tweed - with mid grey flannels, pale blue shirt and solid navy tie, along with tobacco suede half brogues. Wonderful.

that's exactly what I was thinking, and maybe winter white flannel pants from Cucinelli in the spring with chocolate suede shoes just to mix it up with no tie and a sea foam pocket square to make it all pop
fistbump.gif

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I have one, but I never wear it. When would I ever need to where something else wouldn't work? I'm not saying it's not a nice thing to have, and easy to wear, I'm just not sure you need one.

I have three, and wear them often. I cannot imagine NOT having at least one.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like them for night events when a suit is a bit too much.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I like the idea of having staples in your wardrobe, but I'm not the biggest fan of prioritzing the staples. A blue blazer is a safe choice, but how many times will you absolutely need to wear it?

You, my friend, just lost any hope you had of becoming a real, true Trad.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You're better off getting basic suits than odd jackets.

Serious. You will look better dressing down a suit than dressing down a jacket.

This is very anti-foo.

And anti-Holliday.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I have three, and wear them often. I cannot imagine NOT having at least one.

I definitely can't imagine having more than one.

I like them for night events when a suit is a bit too much.

I just figure if it's night, and a suit is too much, a tweed jacket will be just as suitable as a navy blazer. If only a dark color would look right, I'd just go with the suit.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
You, my friend, just lost any hope you had of becoming a real, true Trad.

Well, this was never really in the cards, was it?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely can't imagine having more than one.

I just figure if it's night, and a suit is too much, a tweed jacket will be just as suitable as a navy blazer. If only a dark color would look right, I'd just go with the suit.

Well, this was never really in the cards, was it?

You shop at jpress and alden and don't want to look trady? C'mon. You're so fake sometimes. I said when a suit would be too much, tweed and checks look weird for evening events. Unless of course you are like randallr and Ed and wear really loud jackets.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
It isn't for most Trads, but they don't let that stop them.

If I ever became fully faux-Trad, I'd stop being fully faux-Neapolitan. Unacceptable.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I went through a long period of contempt for the lowly blazer, and then I started having to travel a lot, and it turns out they are very useful.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You shop at jpress and alden and don't want to look trady? C'mon. You're so fake sometimes. I said when a suit would be too much, tweed and checks look weird for evening events. Unless of course you are like randallr and Ed and wear really loud jackets.

I'm fake because I like some things from J. Press and Alden but don't dress completely Trad? Come on, that doesn't follow at all. There are certain Trad/Ivy things I like a lot and freely adopt, but I don't dress strictly in that way.

I have trouble imagining an event to which a suit would be too dressy, but where tweed odd jackets would be wrong. I mean, what are you saying, that only a navy blue blazer would do?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fake because I like some things from J. Press and Alden but don't dress completely Trad? Come on, that doesn't follow at all. There are certain Trad/Ivy things I like a lot and freely adopt, but I don't dress strictly in that way.

I have trouble imagining an event to which a suit would be too dressy, but where tweed odd jackets would be wrong. I mean, what are you saying, that only a navy blue blazer would do?

Why wear clothes at all? I'm curious to see if you can convince yourself you navy blazer is useless. You look terrible in your tweedy stuff, you should really go back to the basics for more elegance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads