• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinos!

OxWing

Reaction score
Lookin' to get some nice chinos here -- I used the search function but couldn't find a thread specifically about who makes what kind of chinos. I'm looking for some nice chinos, I'd wear them casually but they'd need to be able to hold a decent crease b/c I'm an engineer and that means biz casual is the usual MO. I'd love a pair in khaki and one in navy, I have a large ass/thighs, and I'm willing to spend up to about $100. Recommendations?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dockers are cut for the big butted. I can't recommend them otherwise.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxWing
I have a large ass/thighs, and I'm willing to spend up to about $100.

Click.

Too full for my tastes, but they sound like what you are seeking. I wouldn't put a crease in them, but it's not evil if you do.

- B

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lookin' to get some nice chinos here -- I used the search function but couldn't find a thread specifically about who makes what kind of chinos. I'm looking for some nice chinos, I'd wear them casually but they'd need to be able to hold a decent crease b/c I'm an engineer and that means biz casual is the usual MO. I'd love a pair in khaki and one in navy, I have a large ass/thighs, and I'm willing to spend up to about $100. Recommendations?

People are usually pretty happy with J Crew chinos as well. They're readily available to try at your local J Crew and they offer a Relaxed fit for larger bottoms. They even have a "Giant Fit" if you're quite large.

Uniqlo generally tends to be slimmer; not sure how well that would work. Also with the OP being in Tulsa, access to Uniqlo wear would be extremely limited...

OxWing

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll check out J Crew, and yeah, there's a Bill's Khaki's retailer in Tulsa, as well. Is the Incotex fit too slim for someone with larger legs? I'm not talking like huge fatass legs, but more like cyclist big thighs.

Sucks being in Tulsa, too. I don't have access to a huge selection, and I'm hesitant to buy on the internet w/o trying the pants on. I'm close to Dallas, which has Nieman Marcus/Saks/BB. Are any of those good bets?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Some Incos may be cut too slim for you, but they do make a range of fits.

BB will definitely have chinos cut for big asses, but maybe more so than you actually need. Saks seems like a good option to check out.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a large ass/thighs, and I'm willing to...

Dude or dudette? If the former, try Lands' End. If the latter, please post pics
biggrin.gif

[email protected]

Reaction score
I would go for Bill's Khakis in an M2 fit. Not cut too baggy and they should fit well on you, and they're of good quality for the price. And made in the usa which is nice.

identity-x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Dockers are cut for the big butted. I can't recommend them otherwise.

though they DO now have a straight fit and slim fit chinos for about $50 a pop

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for Bill's Khakis, they are great pants. Will hold up really well, and are about 100 bucks.

robert in LA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
Go for Bill's Khakis, they are great pants. Will hold up really well, and are about 100 bucks.

Bills Khakis are very solidly constructed. The rise is relatively short for the fullness of the thighs. They are making a retro-statment here and there are no tabs on the fly, either on the inside or the outside to flatten the 'panel' in front, so you need a belt.

If you want to go really retro you can buy their button fly chinos. Quite a range of weights of cloth from poplin to heavy twill is available. They definitely have the American Chino thing wrapped up. Go to BB if you want a more refined cut. BB offers about four different cuts.

robert in LA

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll check out J Crew, and yeah, there's a Bill's Khaki's retailer in Tulsa, as well. Is the Incotex fit too slim for someone with larger legs? I'm not talking like huge fatass legs, but more like cyclist big thighs.

Sucks being in Tulsa, too. I don't have access to a huge selection, and I'm hesitant to buy on the internet w/o trying the pants on. I'm close to Dallas, which has Nieman Marcus/Saks/BB. Are any of those good bets?

The Icontex pants are wonderfully well made. Just extraordinary, but the fit is very Italian, which is to say snug. Probably not for working in an engineering office. Standing around on a deck with a glass of iced tea or pinot grigio yes.

Being in Tulsa should not be a problem. Any reliable vendor (Bills, Brooks, Lands End &tc.) does no questions asked returns almost immediately, and all of these people will probably help you with thigh, rise and waist measurements over the phone. I buy almost all of my clothing over the net, and I use a tailor locally who does the fitting.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bills are grossly overated/priced these days. Perhaps they were "authentic" in design and materials in the brand's early days, but the one pair I bought went right back in the mail -- I've seen beefier material on WalMart chinos. The delta in quality between JCrew's stuff and Bill's is too small to even think of the latter as an option.

Incotex is tops in fit and quality, but the cut seems to vary with country of origin. I may be wrong, but the Romanian ones seem to be the slimmest.

Polo has a pretty wide range as well. I have heard good things about the "GI" models.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads