• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this suede wingtip loafer work for summer attire?

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those weekend days where its absurdly sweltering I picked up a pair of Borrelli cotton/linen shorts. I'm wondering what shoes are best paired with such a faux paux. http://cgi.ebay.com/Romano-Martegani...3%3A1|294%3A30 I'd probably cut the tassel off, but I thought it might work as an alternative to calf loafers. Thoughts?

TomW

Reaction score
I'd prefer a much lighter shade of brown for Summer. I associate dark brown more with Autumn. Cutting the tassels off would absolutely ruin the shoe. Why not find a nice pair of canvas espadrilles or other more appropriate summertime wear?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
cutting the tassel off is a very bad idea.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks very good.
Douglas,how do you like the suede RL loafers? Do they run true to size or little snug?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford

I'd probably cut the tassel off, but I thought it might work as an alternative to calf loafers.

Thoughts?

bad plan.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like those loafers, especially when I imagine them with some linen shorts and hairy legs. People here don't like boat shoes much but I think boat shoes are the best option with denim shorts.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aight - its off the list.

thanks for the info

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Looks very good.
Douglas,how do you like the suede RL loafers? Do they run true to size or little snug?

I love my suede RL loafers. I just wore them today.

They fit me true enough to size. The first time I tried them on, they did feel a tad on the snug side, but since then they've eased up just enough to be a perfect fit sans socks. I actually haven't worn them with socks, so they might be a tad tight if I tried.

My only complaint is that where the "tongue" of the loafer meets the "collar" of the shoe (that wraps around my ankle) there is a small knot that has been tied off and it irritates my foot. I can't cut it off for fear of destroying the shoe, but it itches after a while.

The shoes do work well, though, with linen pants and with shorts, which is what I bought them for, so they have suited their purpose to a T.

FWIW, Brian, the loafers may still be available on GVH and I think they would be a much better selection than those Marteganis. I love Romano as much as the next guy but I wouldn't like those with shorts.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
aight - its off the list.

thanks for the info

I think that's a good decision. Neither the color nor style would work well with shorts, IMO.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you made the right decision B.

How about some tan suede driving mocks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads