• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

25% off at J. Press

gardel

Reaction score
...Trad is sexless and unerotic. Why should a man's clothing be otherwise?
I think a man should dress as a man and not aspire to be sexless. Trad is for eunuchs. Women, most of them anyway, are attracted to men and not to eunuchs. By the way, this thread has spawned a thread over on Ask Andy titled "Too Sexy for my Trad."

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Horace,June 15 2005,21:47
... Ha. Â Funny (seriously). Â And there may be some element of truth to this. Â But you can't stop the Trad. Â Press's D.C. store outfits many deviant politicians. Â And on this first page of postings alone, we've got messages on Paul Stuart, H. Freeman (is there a more Trad legacy), Brooks, Drakes, et al. Â You can't stop the Trad. Â As for sexless and unerotic (and hold on to your Manolo's auto90403), that's right: Â Trad is sexless and unerotic. Â Why should a man's clothing be otherwise? Â Did I mention that you can't stop the Trad? Dizzy from my the sound of my own voice and repitition, H.
I think a man should dress as a man and not aspire to be sexless. Trad is for eunuchs.
Well, en garde. some of us need that boost, as it were, of clothing (tell me what you suggest, skin tight trousers and a cod-piece?) and others don't. Â Surely, a gentlemen should not draw attention to himself in matters of dress? Â Surely a man has not to aspire to such things. Â Surely he reflects such qualities in and of himself? Â At any rate, what are Trad's defencies then, from the so-called "Sexy silhouette" that you espouse? Â For surely a man can naturally shoulder his own coat rather than have pads do it for him? Â Pleased with that last brilliant triple pun but seeking gardels brilliant tutelage, H.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trad is for eunuchs.

Women, most of them anyway, are attracted to men and not to eunuchs.

I think Teddy would disagree with you. So would Jack and Bobby, if either of them were still alive. Of course, there's a big difference between the Kennedys and the ordinary "man on the street."

I'm not a "trad" fanatic (I just don't aspire to dress like William F. Buckley), but I do enjoy elements of the style. I think a lot of it has to do with time and place. The clothing I would choose wear during vacation on Cape Cod is quite different from the clothing I would choose to wear for a night out in NYC.

robert in LA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
What is all this Trad business?.

It's Japanese slang for traditional, conservative American dress, but with a twist. The Japanese have become THE main stream consumers of the J Press and Brooks Brothers lines, both of which have been Japanese owned for a while now. This has been true for a couple of decades in the case of J Press.

According to the New York Times, J Press sells an astonishing 85% of its mechandize in Japan. The only reason J Press keeps their Cambridge, New Haven, NYC & Washington shops open is to support the notion that theirs is still a important American line. But the present J Press has little to do with the past. You will find slanted pockets, throat latches, hacking pockets and all sorts of other oddities on their jackets that are thought to be American touches in Japan.

Just as I use a kimono as a dressing gown which has Japanese characters all over it that could well say "this way up" "post no bills" and "road hazard ahead" for all I know, Japanese notions of what is traditional American dress reflect the same kind of innocence about us.

The shift for the staff at J Press is extreme. To use an analogy from a similar kind of shift in market demographics, the Tiffany's New York office has been having trouble (allegedly) getting their minds around the fact that over half their sales last year were in the form of 'bling' sold in Southern California.

The shift for J Press is actually bigger. The center of their business is not here. It is Tokyo. The American stores have only symbolic significance now. For 15% of the trade it is barely worth keeping the doors open, save that to sell in Japan, they must maintain a US presence.

We are in an interesting moment of redefinition of all of this.

Best,

Robert

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robert in LA
It's Japanese slang for traditional, conservative American dress, but with a twist. The Japanese have become THE main stream consumers of the J Press and Brooks Brothers lines, both of which have been Japanese owned for a while now.

I believe BB went a few years ago from being British-owned (Marks & Spencer) to being Italian-owned (heir to Luxotica fortune).

And in the DC store at least the signs say "up to 50% off" now, up from 40% off last week.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
And in the DC store at least the signs say "up to 50% off" now, up from 40% off last week.

This is your chance to stock up.

- B

Kei-bon

Reaction score
i wish that, here in the US, we could buy more of the stuff sold under the J Press brand in Japan. The chinos i used to get at J Press in Kobe Daimaru are great. So is some of the stuff designed for Isetan (though the cut is probably not what American fans would approve).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robert in LA
It's Japanese slang for traditional, conservative American dress, but with a twist. The Japanese have become THE main stream consumers of the J Press and Brooks Brothers lines, both of which have been Japanese owned for a while now. This has been true for a couple of decades in the case of J Press.

According to the New York Times, J Press sells an astonishing 85% of its mechandize in Japan. The only reason J Press keeps their Cambridge, New Haven, NYC & Washington shops open is to support the notion that theirs is still a important American line. But the present J Press has little to do with the past. You will find slanted pockets, throat latches, hacking pockets and all sorts of other oddities on their jackets that are thought to be American touches in Japan.

Just as I use a kimono as a dressing gown which has Japanese characters all over it that could well say "this way up" "post no bills" and "road hazard ahead" for all I know, Japanese notions of what is traditional American dress reflect the same kind of innocence about us.

The shift for the staff at J Press is extreme. To use an analogy from a similar kind of shift in market demographics, the Tiffany's New York office has been having trouble (allegedly) getting their minds around the fact that over half their sales last year were in the form of 'bling' sold in Southern California.

The shift for J Press is actually bigger. The center of their business is not here. It is Tokyo. The American stores have only symbolic significance now. For 15% of the trade it is barely worth keeping the doors open, save that to sell in Japan, they must maintain a US presence.

We are in an interesting moment of redefinition of all of this.

Best,

Robert

For over four years the forum has been twisting in the wind, wondering what exactly this "trad business" is all about. Thank you Lone Ranger.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I miss, Brother H.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a tie at the Cambridge location for ~$45... wished they had something in glen plaid too.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last October I was in a J Press in New York and tried on a jacket.
It was stiff, scratchy, and boxy, with shoulders that were
nothing less than a betrayal of their old trad silhouette.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some of the naysayers about J. Press may be surprised if they were to go into a local store -- the D.C. store anyway. Sure, they carry classic "trad" preppy items -- blue blazers, khakis, madras, oxford shirts, multi-colored socks -- but they also carry:

-- a fantastic selection of belts
-- superb swimsuits (best selection I've seen in DC; plus, the maker appears to be the same maker for the now-defunct Sulka swimsuits)

Also, based on interior labeling, the maker of their more expensive level of shorts and slacks appears to be the same as that used by Paul Stuart. Their golf shirts are excellent too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads