• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Fitzgerald -- Trendy or classic?

tw1928

Reaction score
With the Brooks Brothers sale, I'm thinking of buying another Fitzgerald suit. The one I currently have fits great without looking too skinny, modern, etc., especially given my more athletic built, i.e. hate the giant pleated pants that come with my jacket size. But I'm concerned that I'm investing in a short lived trend that will leave me with two outdated suits in a couple of years. I'm assuming trimmer flat fronts trousers are here to stay but what about the Fitzgerald's narrower lapels. Thoughts?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit cuts are rarely so dated as more flamboyant fads. If you look around you find men in 10-15 year old blazers and suits all the time, blissfully unaware that a tiny portion of the population can date their old clothes by the gorge height and button stance. In the grand scheme of things, few suit are "trendy" the way that truly trendy things are trendy. Loud fabrics will make a suit look more trendy than a certain lapel width.

That said, yeah some people will be able to spot a Fitz across the room and date it to this time, ten-fifteen years from now. The Regent will also look dated eventually. The Madison is probably the least distinctive of their cuts.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I believe that it is absolutely not "trendy", even if it can be identified from across the room. I actually think more people should be wearing the Fitz suits, the sheer amount of oversized crap I see on the streets is a shame. I agree to keep the colors and patterns simple, no need for a black stripe "power suit". As to your thread title, I'm not sure I'd put it as "classic" either: classic to the 50's, 60's, and even today - yes. Classic to the days of the 70's and the table-sized lapels, not so much.

In the end, a suit that fits your body just right with the ideal amount of tailoring will never go out of style. I think you'll have many good years in the Fitz.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could I add on to the OPs question?....

What elements will make it look dated in the future?
I'd guess the lapel size, highorge an button stance, but would like to hear what othes think.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
The narrow lapels date it. I think it might be over already?

Look -- it is not all that trendy. It is still from BB, after all. But of all the BB suit styles, it will sure look dated the fastest. By contrast, I think the Madison will look essentially alright in perpetuity, assuming you've got the wide build for it!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RL's going to wide lapels for this winter season, He will start the opposite trend.

I like the skinny lapels personally, i would wear skinny, medium or large regardless of whats in fashion. Most guys are oblivious of it, and it takes turns coming into and going out of fashion.

What really dates a suit is the gorge, but still i see low gorge 80's and early 90's looking jackets all the time, the thing with mens wear is that its suppose to be worn for many years, so buy it if you like it and forget about whats 'in'.

If you are skinny, it'll be a long time before skinny lapels look bad on you, if ever, but if you're more like a 42+ then i might reconsider.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
RL's going to wide lapels for this winter season, He will start the opposite trend.

Oh good. I can finally get an RLBL suit and ask the foraz what goes with it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol, so far only in the polo 'fashion' cuts, not sure about BL.

soupcxan

Reaction score
I wear the fitz because I'm a skinny guy and it fits me the best of any OTR suit I've found. So on me, I don't think it will look dated - the labels are proportional to my features. However, if you're large and you're wearing a fitz in a huge size, then yeah it's going to look dated. It probably never looked that good to begin with because the lapels are out of proportion to the rest of you.

However, I think the lapels on this black fleece already look too skinny, and will continue to look more wrong as time goes on:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=123330

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fitz and similar slimmer-fit suits won't look dated as long as they fit the wearer well, even with slimmer lapels, IMO.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll be fine.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they'll be a classic. The lapels are not too skinny in that they'll be outdated in a couple of years.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soupcxan
I wear the fitz because I'm a skinny guy and it fits me the best of any OTR suit I've found. So on me, I don't think it will look dated - the labels are proportional to my features. However, if you're large and you're wearing a fitz in a huge size, then yeah it's going to look dated. It probably never looked that good to begin with because the lapels are out of proportion to the rest of you.

However, I think the lapels on this black fleece already look too skinny, and will continue to look more wrong as time goes on:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=123330

I'm pretty sure that Thom Browne black fleece has about a narrow lapel as there is...

And after some convincing from my wife, I'm not going to buy that BF suit either.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we're talking about the Fitz, I'll take this opprotunity to ask you guys which is trimmest between the Fitz and Regent. Hard to tell by their description. I know that the Regent has a 7'' drop, while the Fitz is the more standard 6'' drop. Also, most/all Regent jackets apparently side vents, whereas the Fitz seems to come in center vent only.

I'd be interested in measurements for a 36S and 38S jacket in both models if someone has them.

soupcxan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I'll take this opprotunity to ask you guys which is trimmest between the Fitz and Regent.

I recently tried on a 38R fitz and regent. No question the fitz was slimmer in the jacket (especially shoulders) and the pants. However, the regent had a tighter fit in the waist, because it was a 31, but below that the pants seemed baggy like you would expect from traditional BB. I didn't find the regent to be "slim" at all - but I guess it is slimmer than the Madison.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads