• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are we in the styleforum / iGent MC hype cycle?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
With Manton's impending dinner suit order, I think it's fair to say that double-breasted dnner suits with shawl lapels are at least pre-buzz.

Either pre-buzz or B2TB

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Either pre-buzz or B2TB

Hmm. Was there ever a backlash against them?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Was there ever a backlash against them?

Yea - sometime in the late 80s, early 90s - the DBSL tux cycle is pretty long

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Overhyped: elbow pockets, MOP buttons

I think they're fine, but they are overhyped.

I was pretty much ready to backlash the minute I read it. But now you said it was a mistake so I would be getting backlash to my backlash. But then Alanc mentioned that EG might be on the job so they could be pre-buzz
confused.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yea - sometime in the late 80s, early 90s - the DBSL tux cycle is pretty long

Oh. I was interpreting the cycle strictly with respect to Styleforum.

Speaking of the cycle, I still don't get it. Does each thing (say, knit ties) move along a predetermined path, gradually ascending from pre-buzz to backlash-to-the-backlash? Or are the cycle positions discrete from each other? In other words, can something pop into the pre-buzz position, but never make it into the buzz position, yet later appear in the backlash position? Also, the 'backlash' position is confusing. If knit ties are in the backlash position, it sounds like they are the backlash--but the backlash to what? If knit ties are the things subject to backlash, is the backlash-to-the-backlash thing the response to the thing currently being backlashed against (the knit ties)? Also the cycle positions each evaluate popularity differently. Some, like pre-buzz, are not about absolute popularity, but popularity amongst certain people (otherwise, it would just be buzz). So, theoretically, couldn't a knit ties occupy two positions in the cycle at the same time? There could be a general backlash against them while a few key people could be getting into them again, making them pre-buzz, too. I don't understand.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the cycle, I still don't get it. Does each thing (say, knit ties) move along a predetermined path, gradually ascending from pre-buzz to backlash-to-the-backlash? Or are the cycle positions discrete from each other? In other words, can something pop into the pre-buzz position, but never make it into the buzz position, yet later appear in the backlash position? Also, the 'backlash' position is confusing. If knit ties are in the backlash position, it sounds like they are the backlash--but the backlash to what? If knit ties are the things subject to backlash, is the backlash-to-the-backlash thing the response to the thing currently being backlashed against (the knit ties)? Also the cycle positions each evaluate popularity differently. Some, like pre-buzz, are not about absolute popularity, but popularity amongst certain people (otherwise, it would just be buzz). So, theoretically, couldn't a knit ties occupy two positions in the cycle at the same time? There could be a general backlash against them while a few key people could be getting into them again, making them pre-buzz, too. I don't understand.

Yes

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exotic skin shoes are pre-buzz

Black shoes = buzz

Soporific ties = Rave reviews

Skinny ties are saturated

Brunello Cucinelli is seriously overhyped (handwork in shirts too)

Incotex = backlash

Boat shoes are in the B2B
confused.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Are elbow pockets with MOP buttons a Glennie design?

I think that would be simply cut outs in the elbow--so the shirt shows through. Wow, I think I might be the twenty first centuries most innovative designer.

laugh.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can we move the foo back to regular "backlash"?

devil.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Can we move the foo back to regular "backlash"?

devil.gif

foo has the power to reverse the cycle

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of the cycle, I still don't get it.
1Does each thing (say, knit ties) move along a predetermined path, gradually ascending from pre-buzz to backlash-to-the-backlash?

2Or are the cycle positions discrete from each other? In other words, can something pop into the pre-buzz position, but never make it into the buzz position, yet later appear in the backlash position?

3Also, the 'backlash' position is confusing.

4If knit ties are in the backlash position, it sounds like they are the backlash--but the backlash to what?

5If knit ties are the things subject to backlash, is the backlash-to-the-backlash thing the response to the thing currently being backlashed against (the knit ties)?

6Also the cycle positions each evaluate popularity differently. Some, like pre-buzz, are not about absolute popularity, but popularity amongst certain people (otherwise, it would just be buzz). So, theoretically, couldn't a knit ties occupy two positions in the cycle at the same time?
There could be a general backlash against them while a few key people could be getting into them again, making them pre-buzz, too.

7I don't understand.

I will answer your questions for the good of this thread. I have helpfully numbered them.

1. Yes, but what the thing is and the rapidity with which it moves along the cycle are both amorphous concepts. It is also possible for items to be in multiple categories, defying euclidian geometry and screaming along the curve at two different points at the same time. So, for example, Marinella might be buzz and knit ties might be backlash. A Marinella knit tie would then be both buzz and backlash at the same time.

2. It can be the case that something holds its position or even reverses, but you can never skip any steps. If it seems like it skipped a step then you just weren't part of the in-crowd participating in that step.

3. No.

4. There is backlash with respect to the knit tie, just like there is buzz with respect to the knit tie. Aside from those little electric hand shake toys and don't taze me bro, the thing itself is not actually buzzing.

5. The backlash to the backlash is also with respect to the thing (for example, knit ties). The backlash to the backlash generally reflects favorably on the thing, but it is not outside the realm of possibility that it could go completely elsewhere. For example, the backlash to the backlash regarding knit ties might combine (like Voltron) with the buzz rave about wearing scarves around your kneck in the summer and everyone might suddently take to knitting their own scarves to wear in the summer. The cycle is mysterious and powerful.

6. Yes, but not for the reason you suggest (see 1 above). You may have your own cycle (it may, for example, be stuck on alden #8 longwing plaza last RAVE) and that cycle may differ from The Cycle, but an item's multiple places on the cycle is never due to individual preference. The cycle reflects ancient primordial reflexive brainstem gestalt wisdom.

7. This reminds me of this story. Reflect on it and be well.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Foo--the cycle is not subjective. An item's position in the cycle is, as ohm suggests, a function of the cultural zeitgeist at a given moment in time. An individual might misperceive an item's position on the curve, but that is no different from any other misperception of reality. We can argue about the proper position of something, but that does not preclude there being a correct answer for a given item. Idiots don't get a veto in mathematics either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics