• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are we in the styleforum / iGent MC hype cycle?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'd have put Barker Black at least at saturation. Unless there's some huge clearance sale.

I don't care how difficult it may be to see when wearing, but I cannot take seriously a shoe with their logo punched on it.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Wait, what the hell makes me the backlash to the backlash? I don't even know what that means.

I think that means that you're backlash to RLBL, and there are some people hating on* you for your stance, and hence going for the high buttonstance/tight arm look.

*I would never say "hating on" in real life, but i couldn't think of anything else! it's exam period. all my brain can cope with is making baked beans on toast. no time for vocabulary.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buzz: Officepants

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
I think that means that you're backlash to RLBL, and there are some people hating on* you for your stance, and hence going for the high buttonstance/tight arm look.

No that's not what I meant. No reference to RLBL. Simply that mafoo went through a period where many thought he was a self-absorbed, argumentative and annoying douche - he was the butt of all jokes. Then the "foofed" thread started to turn that around, and the blue tux thread sealed the deal with a clear momentum of elite SFers and n00bs coming together to praise the little guy's unwavering vision and flawless taste. That turnaround momentum is the backlash to the backlash.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is always unpopular to be popular and vice-versa...
It is human nature ...
It is the case of the double-breasted saga...Seen as unpopular and outdated by many and supported by a few influencal SFers..
The DB became the talk of SF and many threads were dedicated to great sartorial DB examples before returning to the pre-hype status..
On a more personal level, It depends on how you deal with the attention you're receiving and the way you're projecting yourself on SF...
I personally like guys like Rjamn,Kuro ,Dopey ,Matt or Manton because they do know their stuff , own great pieces of garnments and are acting like gentlemen (most of the time)...

laphroaig

Reaction score
Pre-buzz: roped shoulders, white shirts
Originally Posted by iammatt
I've been wearing white shirts a lot recently,
Originally Posted by grimslade
I'm already on the white-shirt bandwagon. My stripes are getting ignored of late.
I wore one today with a sportcoat in today's WAYW and figured I might get called out for it. Such things are never done, I'm told. Glad others are seeing the bright white light of the white shirt. Maybe we really can start a trend.
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
+1 on white shirts. I have six and laundering every weekend means lately its been plain white 3 or 4 days a week.
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i thought it was taboo on here to wear a white shirt with a sportcoat.
I'm sorry Doc, you might have been right a few hours ago but white shirts are now overhyped. Thanks a lot. I didn't even get a chance to buy mine yet.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
No that's not what I meant. No reference to RLBL. Simply that mafoo went through a period where many thought he was a self-absorbed, argumentative and annoying douche - he was the butt of all jokes. Then the "foofed" thread started to turn that around, and the blue tux thread sealed the deal with a clear momentum of elite SFers and n00bs coming together to praise the little guy's unwavering vision and flawless taste. That turnaround momentum is the backlash to the backlash.

Oh i see, haven't been on here long enough. Feel like a bit of an idiot now haha...

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
I'm sorry Doc, you might have been right a few hours ago but white shirts are now overhyped. Thanks a lot. I didn't even get a chance to buy mine yet.

Order them now b4 backlash to backlash.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Order them now b4 backlash to backlash.

lol8[1].gif

Timing the SF hype market is an art

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I personally like guys like Rjamn,Kuro ,Dopey ,Matt or Manton because they do know their stuff ,

Wait, is there another Kuro here?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kURO , You have one fan . Don't be scare , I'm already stalking Rjman...

borderline

Reaction score
Sometimes the same item can be pre-hype and post-hype, depending when it was made (apparently). Example from a different thread:

"a pair of *** (before the quality of *** went way down)"

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Pre-buzz: Silk scarves

Are you using my thread for some meta-viral marketing campaign?
patch[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads