• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate)

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Gefilte fish. Pickled herring. I don't know that I'm supposed to like these 2 items but they are traditional Jewish foods, and I can't stand them.
You want a little chopped liver maybe?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like sushi but I think it is at least 30% overpriced, in terms of how much satisfaction I get for what I pay for. If it were cheaper I would like it a lot more

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You want a little chopped liver maybe?

Sure!

Chopped liver done right is great and I like it.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gefilte fish.

Pickled herring.

I don't know that I'm supposed to like these 2 items but they are traditional Jewish foods, and I can't stand them.

Yes, these are absolutely rancid. Traditional european jewish food like that is usually terrible. THe food they eat in Israel however, is borrowed from the rest of the region, so as cheap and fresh stuff goes, it's quite good.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
I like sushi but I think it is at least 30% overpriced, in terms of how much satisfaction I get for what I pay for. If it were cheaper I would like it a lot more

Once I discovered a great fish market by me, I stopped going out for sushi unless meeting a large group. I prefer nigiri over rolls, so it's not hard to combine a good piece of fresh fish and a clump of rice at home.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the reason people go nuts for Sushi is for a few reasons.

Firstly, a good Sushi experience will have a skilled person giving you a variety of rolls and guaging your reactions to what they give you. The product has to be rather fresh, so people also get excited about that.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what price you think 30% overpriced is.

Generally in the Seattle area I'm paying an average of $3-5 for two pieces of sushi/ and $9-12 for pretty large and complex rolls. Of course, there are "expensive" places. But thats like, special occasion ****.
smile.gif

I find that to be pretty reasonable.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Yes, these are absolutely rancid. Traditional european jewish food like that is usually terrible. THe food they eat in Israel however, is borrowed from the rest of the region, so as cheap and fresh stuff goes, it's quite good.

+1. It's like they thought, hmmm, chicken and fish are tasty, so let's boil the **** out of them until there's nothing left but flavorless white mush.

Borscht is bad, but schav is just plain nasty.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kempt
You've obviously never had a good borscht, pirozhki, or blini then.

I'd also say most of you posting in this thread are some picky motherfuckers.

yup, never had a good borscht or blini. but my judgement is clouded by travel to russia, it is always a real pain ********** to eat well in russia

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gefilte fish.

Pickled herring.

I don't know that I'm supposed to like these 2 items but they are traditional Jewish foods, and I can't stand them.

+1

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with whoever said hummus... (when I worked in Paris, we'd never have time to eat in the kitchen so it was common for us to constantly be snacking on good hummus). I don't get why it's elevated to the level of wagyu by some people. It's a great simple food, in some ways very close to a mexican concept.

humous to me is like hamburger - it can be fanstastic or mcdonalds. I wouldn't say it is gourmet

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the reason people go nuts for Sushi is for a few reasons.

Firstly, a good Sushi experience will have a skilled person giving you a variety of rolls and guaging your reactions to what they give you. The product has to be rather fresh, so people also get excited about that.

Ah, that's a good sushi experience which sadly is extremely expensive, and hard to find on top of that. Best sushi I have ever had was served to me in such a manner by a sushi master in Southern California - who happened to be Korean, strangely enough. The best part was at the end of it all he took the scraps and ends of the fish fillets and mixed them together with rice to create a big sushi rice bowl. I thought it was a nice touch.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
yup, never had a good borscht or blini. but my judgement is clouded by travel to russia, it is always a real pain ********** to eat well in russia

Theres some good french restaurants in Moscow, but you're going to be paying more than at Per Se.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
humous to me is like hamburger - it can be fanstastic or mcdonalds. I wouldn't say it is gourmet

Yes, just simple food. You can do a lot more with a hamburger than with hummus though.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Theres some good french restaurants in Moscow, but you're going to be paying more than at Per Se.

the resteraunt scene in moscow used to be insane, you could drop a few hundred bucks for **** without even thinking. now I just brown bag it for how ever long I am going to be there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads