• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate)

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I once had Moroccan food at a restaurant where they didn't use utensils. The food tasted pretty good, but I just couldn't enjoy it because I didn't have utensils.... but eating like that in a restaurant is just a gimmick.

order "to go", then... i mean, dining [authentic] is supposed to be an experience.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
order "to go", then... i mean, dining [authentic] is supposed to be an experience.

Well in that case it's Epcot-center type BS

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to Korean food. I don't get all the love it gets. The most horrendous thing I've had was this cold broth noodle soup. I forgot what it was called.

My friends decided that it would be a good idea to get some Korean BBQ to cure our hangover, and I thought it would be best if I got this dish because it didn't look spicy.

What I got was a bowl of pickle juice with noodles and an overcooked boiled egg (ring of green) and some really chewy pieces of mystery meat. It was truly horrendous.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the thing about korean food is that it is good for people who don't want anything exotic or different. you can go to a bbq place and just eat piles of meat with some rice on the side, or you can go to a pub and order the spicy fried chicken--miles better than any buffalo wings i've tried. you don't have to order/eat all the pickled side dishes if you don't want to.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only thing I've consistently liked from korean restaurants is dolsot bibimbap.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
the only thing I've consistently liked from korean restaurants is dolsot bibimbap.

+1..mmmmm dolsot bibimbap
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^i like Bulgogi and beer__ kimchi, don't like.

@dgl203__ gimmickry is a marketing tool to entice ppl to try. it's a business after all. but, there are some [traditional/authentic] restaurants that truly offer a cultural experience, aside from gastronomic.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people seem to forget that one man's opinion does not diminish a cuisine.
If you don't like Mexican food and you have been there 20 times and eaten at 100 places and you still don't like it, just move on. You don't like it.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"hey Mustapha, I bet we can get the Americans to eat with their hands. We'll just tell them it's how we eat everywhere in morocco. They'll buy it up because they live to think what they're doing is authentic and we'll save a lot of money on silverware, har har har!"

How does eating with your hands make things more authentic?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never got the whole kimchi thing. I love sauerkraut but I can't stand kimchi.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Not at all. I'm referring to the stuff that they serve me at K-town restuarants when my Korean buddies take me there. It comes with a big bowl of sea salt because apparently it is supposed to be uber-bland... go figure

This kind of stuff

sul_long_tang-320.jpg
3390922759_0de4b2bb7e.jpg

mmmm.. sulongtang. fresh bowl of rice and some kimchi. hits the spot.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
"hey Mustapha, I bet we can get the Americans to eat with their hands. We'll just tell them it's how we eat everywhere in morocco. They'll buy it up because they live to think what they're doing is authentic and we'll save a lot of money on silverware, har har har!"

How does eating with your hands make things more authentic?

re-quoting my last post :
__ gimmickry is a marketing tool to entice ppl to try. it's a business after all. but, there are some [traditional/authentic] restaurants that truly offer a cultural experience, aside from gastronomic.

well, it got you inside to eat, dint it? as far as taking it to the next level [ Bourdain-style ]... all up to you.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see where the Korean food hate comes from. Foods that are spicey and/or pickled often have very polarizing effects.

Odd how I love kimchi but can't stand sauerkraut...\\

I'm not a big fan of Indian food in general. I find Japanese food to be generally bland and if any flavor at all it is slightly sweet.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, it got you inside to eat, dint it? as far as taking it to the next level [ Bourdain-style ]... all up to you.

No, I went there with some friends not knowing that we'd be eating with our hands. Even though the food was very good, I will not be going back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads