• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Images from The London Cut

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

English tailoring is inventive and deep in a way Italian tailoring is not.

Yeah: I said that. Who wants to fight me?

- B

If this is the manifesto, I'll sign. It's a good (if mildly provocative) way to put it. I reach for Italian clothes as much as anything these days, in part precisely because they are less loaded and complicated and, hence, more easily understood. English tailoring can be downright odd and perplexing and I guess that's largely because it draws from a deeper well of both experience and creativity. One may be the master; the other the facile pupil and craftsman.

Am I walking the line?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, no. I just meant in general. It's nice to have threads like these (good quality images, historical significance) occasionally to remember how inspiring great clothing can be.

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
If this is the manifesto, I'll sign. It's a good (if mildly provocative) way to put it. I reach for Italian clothes as much as anything these days, in part precisely because they are less loaded and complicated and, hence, more easily understood. English tailoring can be downright odd and perplexing and I guess that's largely because it draws from a deeper well of both experience and creativity. One may be the master; the other the facile pupil and craftsman. Am I walking the line?
That isn't particularly fair to the Italians, since the country itself is a remarkably recent creation. I think the medieval city-states of the Italian peninsula had better things to do than busy themselves with pretty clothes, at least in comparison to the Britain of the time, which was relatively safe in its isolation, and was probably the richest and most powerful nation of the period. The people of renaissance Italy seemed drawn more to fine art than clothing, anyhow. The Britons never matched them in that regard.

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It is about 20x better looking than the average, closed up A&S jackets, at least to my eyes.

+1000! Still even I like it better if the front quarters are rounded when cutaway like yours, especially for sport coats.
Matt if only all of your posts were this sensible.
tounge.gif

Man Good Heavens! I just realized you have 20000+ posts in 3 years? How do you manage this?

BTW Kudos to Vox for posting these. Good images, although many are impractical for us but still a visual treat.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tutee
Man Good Heavens! I just realized you have 20000+ posts in 3 years? How do you manage this?
They include the amount of thought that goes into 1000 posts by a normal person.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
No, no. I just meant in general. It's nice to have threads like these (good quality images, historical significance) occasionally to remember how inspiring great clothing can be.

I was just kidding.

Originally Posted by axe
That isn't particularly fair to the Italians, since the country itself is a remarkably recent creation.

The people of renaissance Italy seemed drawn more to fine art than clothing, anyhow. The Britons never matched them in that regard.

I wasn't trying to be fair or unfair, just accurate.

Originally Posted by pejsek
If this is the manifesto, I'll sign. It's a good (if mildly provocative) way to put it. I reach for Italian clothes as much as anything these days, in part precisely because they are less loaded and complicated and, hence, more easily understood. English tailoring can be downright odd and perplexing and I guess that's largely because it draws from a deeper well of both experience and creativity. One may be the master; the other the facile pupil and craftsman.

Am I walking the line?

Yes, you are. I think that what explains it is that English city and country tailoring arose from a stable anthill culture, with forms that were mature, settled, and geared to the complexities of class and position. Yet, even into the modern age, you can see an exuberance and verve to the English bespoke arts that are almost entirely absent from Italian bespoke makers.

In contrast to the source, the Italians became oddly dour after their immitative period between the great wars.

Yeah: I said that. Who wants to fight me?

Even more startling, 93% of those posts were within the last three months. I have already contacted the authorities, and they are sending the white van for him.

BTW Kudos to Vox for posting these. Good images, although many are impractical for us but still a visual treat.

My pleasure.

- B

No.XIII

Reaction score
Sooo... maanyyy... niceeee... sartorial... pieces...under..a... roof
Must...resist...living.. with.. the.. mannequins..
bounce2.gif

Thanks for sharing, Vox! The sight of morning coats and redingotes makes my heart melt.

axe

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be fair or unfair, just accurate.
No worries, I was just trying to flesh out the possible historical explanations for your observation (which I agree with, FWIW, although its conclusion seems counter-intuitive at first glance)

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TOKYO ,,,
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
- B

These tweed suits are amazing. Any chance of a close up? -

uppercase

Reaction score
It's not an A&S if it doesn't have closed front quarters.

This 'Astaire' model was specifically made for Pitti Uomo a few years ago for display on a mannequin, to relate the A&S legacy to its former client Fred Astaire and for promotional purposes at a trade show.

If you like the Astaire cut, you like something other than A&S because this isn't what A&S makes.

What you like is a Neapolitan drape cut made in beautiful English cloth.

And you are right, the Astaire is a beautiful coat. I tried it on at A&S in its basted form and it is magnificent though certainly not as open as it appears in the photo.

I have never seen A&S subsequently produce another Astaire but only the default closed, straight, louche London sack.

However, if you want this silhouette with its dramatic curves, life and movement, the only place I know to find it is Naples.

The English cannot make it: their joints are too stiff and they think linearly.

wink.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I get open quarter drape from an English tailor. No problem.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uppercase
It's not an A&S if it doesn't have closed front quarters.

That's what my guy said, although it wasn't the quarters that made him say that. He did say that if one of the departed head cutters at A&S saw it, they would have put the "shears through it."

I have never seen A&S subsequently produce another Astaire but only the default closed, straight, louche London sack.

You should see one shortly since whnay asked for this cut. We'll se...

However, if you want this silhouette with its dramatic curves, life and movement, the only place I know to find it is Naples.

The English cannot make it: their joints are too stiff and they think linearly.

wink.gif

Hmmm...

564520164_2CVkL-X2.jpg

...not A&S...

- B

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmmm...
564520164_2CVkL-X2.jpg
...not A&S... - B

But with stiff joints. Nice stiff joints, like an old English codger back in town for the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads