• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor MTM Shirt Review...the free one offered here!!

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moderntailor.com offered a couple of free shirts and I was one of the lucky guys. The order was placed with excellent communication on email...answers to questions within 10 min usually!! The website was easy to navigate, with a less options than Jantzen both in variance of collar/shirt and fabric.
Shipping notification was prompt and the shirt arrived in excellent packing, black plastic bag/envelope over half cardboard shell in which the shirt (in clear plastic) was professionally folded and pinned.
The options I choose were all on the shirt, so no mistakes there. The shirt is pictured worn unwashed, but there is a lot of room for shrinkage so no worries there, and I ordered slim fit (I am 6'1, 228)
laugh.gif
!! I measured very loose since I have been burnt by 4 previous MTM shirts that shrunk to unwearable!
Construction is at par with Jantzen, fabric is a light blue twill, $39.00, and very comfortable. Will post more pictures after the cleaners. I am completly satisfied, for the price a good value, and exceptional communication.
ORDER PLACED June 3rd. DELIVERED June 16th.

83304035.jpg
52145459.jpg

77379176.jpg

56121667.jpg
16386642.jpg

Regards.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Thanks for posting the review - very informative, and the shirt looks quite good on you. Would you kindly elaborate on the buttons? Thank you.

Regards.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Very nice! Thanks for posting the review - very informative, and the shirt looks quite good on you. Would you kindly elaborate on the buttons? Thank you.

Regards.

The buttons are white plastic. There were choices between white, brown, black or purple buttons. No MOP available.

Regards.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My take: Buttons look as if they tried to make them look cheap. For me the fit was so right the first time that I didn't change it the second time around, IIRC. I should If I try again, but only a little. The first time I put in my measurements they asked if I realy wanted sleeves that long (measured from middle back instead of shoulder) I didn't. So customer service seems alright. (They also called me twice on my holliday of one week, since I was 'never home' for delivery, but that's another story) Site is much clearer than those of my other online tailor experience, Jantzen. This is especially true for the shown fabrics. My last fabric, the pink oxford (No.: 290BRPKXO081111 ) is very nice. Fabric allone it is one of my best shirts (which I admit isn't saying that much). Cons: The small choice of collars. Button threads start to come loose, after 10 washes. Will they separate? Not clear ATM. Buttons. I can't stress enough how cheap they look

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i take it that that is the spread collar?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fabric Light blue twill / NLBTW090328 / $39.95
Collar Classic / Common /
Cuffs/Sleeves French square /
Inside fabric for collar and cuff
Pockets No pocket
Front No placket
Back Plain
Buttons White buttons

Regards.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
was this shirt laundered before photos were taken? guess not since it still has fold creases in the front.
buttons are as cheap as they come.
the collar stays must be those cheap clear ones. throw them away and use better white plastic stays. (I do not like brass stays)

yoke seems to large and sleeves look to long.
what is the deal with the number 44 under the collar?

Carl

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They put me down for a 42. It's MTM though. The lenght of my shirt can't be explained another way.

Edit: They're clear, yes.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven

what is the deal with the number 44 under the collar?

Carl

It means 44 cm. In some parts of Europe, metric is used, not Imperial (standard).

Metric = centimetres.

Imperial = inches.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
The buttons are white plastic. There were choices between white, brown, black or purple buttons. No MOP available.

Regards.

I just checked and now they have "white thin MOP buttons" for extra $2...

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy some altoid MOP buttons and sew them on yourself. That way you can have a shank and make a crows foot.

I have only sewn two buttons in my life, but I think with enough practice I could do a whole shirt in half an hour. Currently one button takes something like 20 minutes. The first one was like a 3 hour adventure in ineptitude.

borsaj

Reaction score
just ordered my first shirt from Modern Tailor,
will provide update once it arrive.s

le.gentleman

Reaction score
They now offer MOP buttons and a number of other options but they still have removeable collar stays for three collar styles. In our recent modern tailor shirt review, I explained in detail why a modern tailor shirt can be a good value for what you get, but why even the most expensive fabric will not provide you a top notch shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads