• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Factual errors/dumb stuff in movies that really ruin it for you

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
why does everyone in a movie who uses a laptop is using an Apple computer or macbook? that bugs the heck out of me.

Bugs you too huh?
smile.gif

On that note, every "hacker" in any movie has some bling bling bullshit OS that is supposed to look "cool" or whatever, but usually ends up looking like it would be a pain ********** to use, hog resources, and would take twice as long as opening up word and writing the code.
smile.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The CSI shows are completely marsupialed. Hard to pick just one thing from that lineup, but for me it's the giant room-sized computer in CSI Miami with the glass wall monitor and the touch panel that does it all.

r...

Reaction score
In keeping with the computer theme, anything that had to do with computers and or jargon in that SwordFish movie. Good gawd, hacking in AutoCad to build some six part worm?!?! The representation of the inside of the "internet" which end up looking like Lawnmower Man left over renders.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
That's true everywhere, at least in America. I own the movie, but it's been a while since I watched it. I'm wondering, though: how big was the NJ town? Some very small towns don't have a police force, so they automatically lie within a sheriff's jurisdiction. That might be the case, but I don't remember.

But in this particular case, he wasn't the county sheriff, he was the town sheriff!! Even if the town was so small that it had no police department he would have been the county sheriff patrolling that town, not a town sheriff. Here's a picture of the cop car from the movie which shows he was the town sheriff:

garrison.jpg

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maj
To the OP; you can administer insulin IV, and it'll act quicker than it does when give SC.

No ****? I'll have to talk to my doc about it.

And to the rest of you...yeah, yeah, Star Wars, James Bond, Kung-fu ******* Panda...screw off...Blergh.

b

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
The Matrix series' entire premise was a ridiculous violation of the laws of thermodynamics. Just ludicrous. You're going to feed, store, house, and nurse humans just to extract the electricity in brain currents? Bear Grylls strenuously exerting himself for four hours to harvest three grubs for food thinks that's stupid.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I was watching The Black Book, an otherwise great movie about WWII in the Netherlands, the other night and it had one really bad, factually incorrect scene in it. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed it.

This is a real spoiler so stop reading if you don't want to know.

Towards the end, Hans, the doctor, shoots Elise with insulin in order to kill her.

1. He injects it IV, which you can't do with insulin. It's injected subcutaneously (sp?).

2. It takes effect immediately. Even current fast-acting insulins take 5 minutes to take affect and they've only been around for something like less than 20 years (when I was first diagnosed in 1982 the fasted acting was 30 minute on-set).

3. To counteract the insulin she eats a chocolate bar and it revivers her nearly instantly. Chocolate is very slow to absorb and is not recommended for counteracting low blood sugar.

This bugged me almost as much as that dumb scene in Steel Magnolias with Julia Roberts where she goes all bad-**** crazy when her blood sugar drops.

Any personal annoyances for you?

b

It's a ******* movie. Entertainment. Want absolute, total realism? Go outside. You truly expect the director/editor to waste 5 minutes of screentime showing the insulin taking effect? Or waste/**** up the feel with an odd transition effect to indicate the elapsed time?

r...

Reaction score
But they had too, we torched the sky remeber? Remember?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
along similar lines... 555 phone numbers. So annoying.

Ford Fairlane: Hey, look. Write down my number: 555-6321 Got it?

Twin Club Girl: Yeah. Wait a minute. 555 is not a real number. They only use that in the movies.

Ford Fairlane: No ****, honey. What do you think this is? Real life?

Originally Posted by odoreater
But in this particular case, he wasn't the county sheriff, he was the town sheriff!! Even if the town was so small that it had no police department he would have been the county sheriff patrolling that town, not a town sheriff. Here's a picture of the cop car from the movie which shows he was the town sheriff:

garrison.jpg

Well holy crap...I guess I never noticed that, and I've watched the movie three or four times! I suppose they were trying to make this town as rural-sounding as possible to contrast it with the big, bad New Yawk cops.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
It's a ******* movie. Entertainment. Want absolute, total realism? Go outside. You truly expect the director/editor to waste 5 minutes of screentime showing the insulin taking effect? Or waste/**** up the feel with an odd transition effect to indicate the elapsed time?

I know it's a movie. The director could have taken zero minutes to just show her run away with the chocolate in her hand rather than fake low BG driving her into a coma.

******* chill out.

b

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
why does everyone in a movie who uses a laptop is using an Apple computer or macbook? that bugs the heck out of me.

I thought that also. And what about indepence day where they manage to hack the aliens OS to spread a worm or what ever it is.....come on. That and flying the ship, attatching a nuke, getting away, punching out the mega alien.....nuff said.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5

There's a different between entertainment and sloppiness. Usually, one can entertain in a convincing way...it's just that lots of directors and writers are too lazy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads