• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linux Appreciation Thread

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is where us Linux fanboys can post screenshots and have the biggest circle jerk in SF history.

I am liking Ubuntu right now.

ubuntu-logo.jpg

What distros do you guys run? Likes, dislikes? Wanna make this thread 20+ pages dissing Microsoft and Apple? I'm game!

In the words of Johnny Canales, "You got it, now take it away!"

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't possibly be the only Linux user here. You guys are really missing out.

Hayling

Reaction score
Nice pic, haha. My flavor of choice is Fedora. 'Bout to upgrade to Fedora 11 soon. Also enjoy Ubuntu and FreeBSD.
linux-girl.jpg

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy ****! If this is what Linux is like today, I'm going back!!!!!!

(Used Mandrake/Mandriva for a little while years back)

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just curious, why did you decide to stay with Fedora over Ubuntu?

I made the switch from Windows back in April and haven't looked back. Granted, there were some issues moving over to a new operating system, and a new way of doing things. But once I got past that (quicker than I expected actually), it's been smooth sailing.

True, the way you do things in Linux is way different than a MS OS, but damn, the way you do things in Linux just makes logical sense.

Also really attractive to me is the fact that the commands have pretty much remained the same since the 70s.

The biggest deterrent to me finally taking the Linux plunge was fear of having to learn something new. Well, Microsoft has ensured that with Vista and 7 we are all pretty much starting from scratch and having to re-think the way we do things on the computer anyway, so why not make the right choice this time around and use a REAL operating system?

Free software, (relatively) easy to use, and the biggest kicker for me, no digital rights management!!!

Hayling

Reaction score
Well I worked as a Linux Sys Admin for a couple years and the systems I supported were mainly Red Hat. Since Fedora is pretty much identical to Red Hat it was only logical for me to install it at home because I was already very familiar with the platform.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hayling
Well I worked as a Linux Sys Admin for a couple years and the systems I supported were mainly Red Hat. Since Fedora is pretty much identical to Red Hat it was only logical for me to install it at home because I was already very familiar with the platform.
Cool. I tried installing Redhat years and years ago, but my vid card was unsupported so I went back to Win. These were back in the days where driver issues kept people from running Linux. Now there is really no good reason not to, especially with the Vista and soon to be 7 debacles. I am quite happy with Ubuntu, but once I learn enough and feel comfortable I'd like to use Slackware. I mess around with that one virtualized. It's pretty sweet. Can't say I'm too big a fan of Linux Mint though. GUI is too much like Windows, and have to say, I really love Gnome. Gnome + Do > any craptactular "Dock"

Palladio

Reaction score
I've used Debian for about three years as my main desktop, and now prefer it to any of the alternatives for my home desktop.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer getting actual work done over installing a new OS every week.

stirpot.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I prefer getting actual work done over installing a new OS every week.
stirpot.gif

Cool so what distro do you use? The need for constant reinstalls was actually the reason I ditched Windows in the first place. BTW: Ubuntu installed in 20 minutes, no downloading of drivers to worry about, worked out of the box. I just had to enable the Nvidia drivers, and download the media codecs I use.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
This is where us Linux fanboys can post screenshots and have the biggest circle jerk in SF history.
Dumbass. Put NSFW in the title if you're going to post that kind of stuff outside of DT.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentoo since 2004... Started with Slackware in 1997. Did the Free/OpenBSD thing for a few years in between.

adversity04

Reaction score
I have an Ubuntu partition on both desktop and laptop....but since I've been mostly gaming lately Windows is used. Do the development work on them though
smile.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have Ubuntu Dual booting with Windows 7 at home. I do my cisco emulation and networking stuff in linux but everything else in windows 7.

I'm not thrilled with Ubuntu. It's ok, but it's not as good as the hype. And I hate firefox. I run opensuse 11 and centos 5 servers at work.

Frankly, I prefer linux without the gui. It's awesome for servers. For day to day use, 7 is far better imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads