• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I Get a Bespoke DJ?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Okay ... lets assume it's now $450 a yard. Given the prices we're talking in the world of bespoke ... do you really consider that prohibitive?

Originally Posted by medwards
RSS: An attitude I can appreciate (though perhaps not surprising from a gentleman who availed himself of Huntsman's services when they were the most expensive tailor on the Row).
smile.gif

I love having you guys here.

You are saving me a lot of work.

- B

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Medwards, I look at it this way ...

When having a suit made, if I supply my own cloth, the cost of the product goes down +/- £400. At an exchange rate of $1.75 to the £ … that’s +/- $700.

Now my tailor typically wants 3.5 yards to make a three piece suit. If the cloth were to cost $450 per yard ... that's $1575 in cloth ... even if we're talking three piece suit. $1575 - $700 = $875 in additional cost.

When we are talking suits that are in the $5000 range ... I can’t imagine another $875 being a deal breaker ... especially if it brings something to the suit that makes it even more special.

Personally speaking ... if I can afford a suit at $5000 ... I can afford it at $5875. If I can't afford it at $5875 ... then $5000 is likely pushing a limit I shouldn’t be pushing. And to be honest ... there have been a few times my approach has caused me to understand I should not proceed with a purchase.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I love having you guys here.

You are saving me a lot of work.

Why, thank you. Frankly, I had forgotten just how enjoyable it could be ... but you've done a good job of reminding me.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
If I can't afford it at $587.50 ... then $500.00 is likely pushing a limit I shouldn’t be pushing.

I carried the zero to reduce the number of readers who might faint from reading your post.

Many are alone in their cubicles or posting quietly in the prison library, and I fear that a fall might open unfortunate head wounds or cause concussions.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I carried the zero to reduce the number of readers who might faint from reading your post.

Many are alone in their cubicles or posting quietly in the prison library, and I fear that a fall might open unfortunate head wounds or cause concussions.

- B

The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe.
wink.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe.

wink.gif

Have you been broken in half yet?

- B

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

wink.gif

Sounds like this man:

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wink.gif

Vox was doing so well until the bolded portion.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wink.gif

A true American gentleman can curse for two whole minutes without repeating himself.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Medwards, I look at it this way ... When having a suit made, if I supply my own cloth, the cost of the product goes down +/- £400. At an exchange rate of $1.75 to the £ ... that's +/- $700. Now my tailor typically wants 3.5 yards to make a three piece suit. If the cloth were to cost $450 per yard ... that's $1575 in cloth ... even if we're talking three piece suit. $1575 - $700 = $875 in additional cost. When we are talking suits that are in the $5000 range ... I can't imagine another $875 being a deal breaker ... especially if it brings something to the suit that makes it even more special. Personally speaking ... if I can afford a suit at $5000 ... I can afford it at $5875. If I can't afford it at $5875 ... then $5000 is likely pushing a limit I shouldn't be pushing. And to be honest ... there have been a few times my approach has caused me to understand I should not proceed with a purchase.
Yep. IMO, it's really nice cloth and worth the (comparitively minimal)extra expense. Jeez Manton, it's not like it's going to need replacement in a couple of years.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Yep. IMO, it's really nice cloth and worth the (comparitively minimal)extra expense. Jeez Manton, it's not like it's going to need replacement in a couple of years.

How is the Tonik for nuclear radiation?

- B

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the Tonik for nuclear radiation? - B
Should do just fine; should I post the a-bomb gif now?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
A true American gentleman can curse for two whole minutes without repeating himself.

Thomas Williamson was called to testify on behalf of William E. Fourth, the candidate of the Modern party.

Q. -- What do you know of William E. Fourth?
A. -- I know him to be in all respects a brick.

Q. -- Has he got money?
A. -- Rich as Croesus.

Q. -- Is he pious?
A. -- Well -- I don't hardly -- well, t'ain't -- it ain't his strong suit, as you may say.

Q. -- Does he ever go to church?
A. -- Well, he -- he don't go as much as he used to.

Q. -- How often does he go?
A. -- Well, you see, he don't get a chance much now. He don't get up till noon on Sundays, and he thinks it puts a kind of dampener on his appetite to go to church before breakfast.

Q. -- You have not answered my question yet. How often does he go to church?
A. -- To come down to the fine points of it, he only goes seldom. But he loves it -- I know he loves it. I have known him to go to church in the hardest kind of a rain-storm. (Cheers.)

Q. -- Did he have an umbrella?
A. -- No; he didn't even have an umbrella. He would scorn it.

Q. -- Was he away from home when he took the notion?
A. -- I believe he was.

Q. -- Now, no trifling -- no prevaricaton! Answer strictly: What did he go in the church for?
A. -- Well, he -- he went in there to get out of the rain.
(Cheers from the other party.)

Q. -- Does the candidate gamble?
A. -- Him? Why he's the envy of the public. Take him at any gentlemanly amusement you can name, from faro for stocks of red checks, down to pitch seven-up for Limburger cheese and lager, and he is the prince of them all!

Q. -- Does he drink?
A. -- Oh, don't mention it! Why he's the pride of the village. He can banish more champagne and Jersey lightning than any man in the State, and still be the gayest of the gay.

Q. -- Does he chew tobacco? -- or smoke?
A. -- He does. He don't lack any gentlemanly accomplishment.

Q. --Does he dress well?
A. -- Him! Why he sports the stunningest harness in America. The tightest legged pants, and the shortest-tailed coats, and the reddest cravats in the continent, and the most of them. He gives all the powers of his mind to it -- and as a woman-killer there isn't his equal anywhere.

Q. -- Is he convival?
A. -- He is the most companionable gentleman I know. When he turns out of a night to have a time, somebody's premises have got to suffer! he is a regular calamity to street-lamps and door-bells when he gets started; and if anybody objects, why, there's trouble, you know. And his team is the fastest.

Q. -- Does he play billiards?
A. -- He can beat the man that invented the game.

Q. -- Does he pay his debts?
A. -- Most regular man in the world. Always gives his note, and is always affable and polite when a body wants him to renew it.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics