• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kodachrome

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Hahaha Indeed, they were not lookers.
I took a few pics on my digital camcorder in addition to my Yashica. Did you see the dude with the marital aid strapped to his head? The whole place really just seemed like some kind of joke to attract gaijin or something, but for a short period of time it was certainly interesting.
Also, I dont think I saw you there. That is to say no other dapper gaijin in my sight, mostly a bunch of military guys and tourists.

If you'd seen me, something probably would have clued you in. I was wearing a pink oxford shirt and was weighed down with three film Leicas and a couple of camera bags.

My friends and I never did find the penis-shaped lollipops.
confused.gif

My photos of the festival are up, by the way (Kanamara Matsuri set (no, not Connemara!)).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbaleic...7617174196440/

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love shooting Kodachrome from time to time but I am at heart a black and white guy. When Kodak shut Qualex down this year the pipeline from Canada to Dwanes got shut down and a local chain was charging I think $45 to get a roll of Kodachrome processed. Not cool, it's even tough to get E-6 processed in Toronto and I am doing research to do it at home. I also ran a roll of Ektar 100 through my Leica M3 last weekend, I can't wait to see how that turns out.

I guess there is a reason I shoot and print black and white most of the time, it's easy, fun and I can process at home.
http://flickr.com/photos/funwithcameras

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Toiletduck,

Thanks. Glad you enjoy my photos.

I've just sent another dozen rolls of Kodachrome to Dwayne's for processing, so more photos will be going up sometime later next week.

Bill,

I've just crunched the numbers and find that I pay just less than $25 per roll for Kodachrome. This includes buying and processing the film and all shipping costs plus scanning. The process involves ordering the film directly from Dwayne's 24 rolls at a time, which optimizes shipping costs, and then sending the exposed film 12 rolls at a time for processing. The unmounted, uncut slides come back in about 10 days and then my local lab scans them overnight.

If you optimize shipping costs, it should cost you no more per roll to deal directly with Dwayne's for your Kodachrome. In any case, it sounds like you shoot less than I do, so your costs will be spread out over a longer time period. (I've shot 24 rolls of Kodachrome in the past month alone and nearly a dozen rolls of other film too.)

Your B&W photos show that you're a B&W man at heart, so keep up the good work. Long live film!

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
This makes me want to send of my slides for scanning ... FlickrPro account good?

When I first signed up on Flickr and discovered that I could only upload about 10 pics a day, I immediately went pro. There's not much I pay for online, but I'm really happy with my Flickr Pro account.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pro Account is worth it. I had a regular free account for like 4 years. Pro is a bargain for how little you pay a year for it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
End of an era.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
We all have 18 months to shoot our last Kodachrome, if you can get your hands on any.

During the past few months, I've shot more Kodachrome than during the past 30 years.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbaleic...7617174196440/

I suggest you save you film and donate it to real photographers instead of compulsively wasting it .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads