• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus, what brought you to Japan?!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Almost everyday:

old black cowhide Julius duffle.

Want:

tan distressed suede Margiela duffle from FW08

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Almost everyday:

old black cowhide Julius duffle.

Want:

tan distressed suede Margiela duffle from FW08

pics?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Piquadro ($200-800)
Sort of like an Italian tumi.
Pros and cons more or less the same; the biggest Con I see is that the styling is sometimes just as boring and ugly as Tumi.
FINAL VERDICT: Yoox often has this stuff on deep discount. Good for luggage especially, but sort of dull for a manbag.

this is all over yoox!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
You're welcome; it's been fun to add pics and see those of others as well.

In my opinion, every guy needs at least three bags:

1) Brief or top-handled tote: good for work. (get leather and keep it simple... like black, brown, or MAYBE navy)
2) Messenger Bag/Mail bag: good for going out/non-work occasions/when carrying a laptop (or for school) (canvas, nylon, or leather, and make sure it doesn't look like something the US Army gave you)
3. Duffle/weekender: travel with it and use as a carry-on. (canvas or leather, dark brown or black is great, but lighter natural canvas looks nice, too.)

After you have those three for "basics," you can get some fun ones that aren't that durable/useful, but you just "like."

You'll notice I didn't put a backpack/rucksack in there; IMHO, if you're over the age of 20, or not a student anymore, and you're NOT a mountain climber, then it's time to LOSE the backpack.

Missed this description, but yeah, I can give respect to Prada, they don't do anything wrong do they? I had a waxed canvas messenger with brown waxed trim, and it was strongly reminiscent of Filson stuff, except this was back in like 2002. It was a nice bag, did me quite well.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
- Brooks Brothers (SAB and others)
- Ghurka
- Tramontano
- Carmina (some crazy designs I saw and classics in Palma)
- Vass
- Glaser
- BRUNELLO CUCINELLI
- Calder
- goldpfeil
- pratesi
- pineider
- parris

bunch of others

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, just as I say on this thread how many times I hate backpacks... I find a Porter one that I really liked and that I bought.
lol8[1].gif
It is from their CIRE line and is simple, minimal, made of their durable nylon, and has a bit of flare that makes it interesting. I am doing lots of walking this summer and carrying books/notebooks and stuff to teach... so it is rather convenient to carry.

I will post pictures when I get a chance, but here is a rakuten pic of the same one:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/galleria/598-09637/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads