• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trend towards being a skinny guy?

Becks23

Reaction score
Professional athletes seemingly hit the piss more than you think. You would too if your job entitled only a few hours of work a day. Beckham is a pretty good model for an elite athlete, mid 30s, still commands a role in one of the world's best national teams albeit outside starting 11.

And don't models party super hard? I would imagine that a combination of good genetics and sometimes unhealthy practices get models to where they need to be in terms of body shape.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
heh, world class athletes exercising ?? phfff

killua

Reaction score
From what I've seen, the last few years have been about skinny guys like mentioned by the OP.

So I'd say the trend has already been established, but it's becoming a bit less popular already in favour of more muscular shapes. Of course, this is purely based on my experiences which isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mondayc
Fat girls scoff at me, curvier girls think I need to eat a pizza, and the skinny girls I like think I'm just right.

...and the problem is?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
I've heard from a few girls that the best male body type is what soccer players have. Tall and lean muscle. Thankfully I am blessed with good genes to not work hard to get those results, although there was a point in my recent past that I wanted to bulk up and look like an Abercrombie model. Not my liking anymore, plus clothes look better. There is a show called Burn Notice (laugh at me if you wish) and the main character is skinny but still looks like a badass.

True. One reason he looks like a badass is because he has that "I don't give a ****" attitude. Also, his clothes are always well-tailored and a great fit for him. Well-fitting clothes on a well-toned person look great.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
...and the problem is?

There actually are problems. Really big problems. And I know that if you are a heavier individual reading what he wrote, it's not immediately apparent.

The issue I find is this... slim and fit is an increasingly precious commodity. Slim and fit women have always been top of the totem pole, but now there are a lot fewer of them. The fewer slim chicks there are, the more fit they want their guys. Slim guys get muscled right out.

As it's been stated, women want you taller, which roughly translates to heavier as well. A more muscular man is matched to both curvy and slim women. But as a slim and fit guy, you are only matched to the slimmer woman. Most guys will take the bait on a woman skinnier than their standard, but I find women's more naturally selective nature places weight more firmly in deal breaker catagory.

So, as he said, fat chicks laugh at you, curvy girls feel insecure around you, and the increasingly rare in America slim girls are divided between those who can see themselves with a slim guy and those who can't. The fact that slim is rare actually balloons the size of the man they are looking for, as every pound they lose they add 5 pounds of pure muscle to their desired mate.

Athletic men have the best odds. Of course I'm stating the obvious, but on a fashion board where slim is 'the look' it runs against the grain. Girls don't like slim guys, not even slim girls like slim guys, but fashion does.

deliciosrster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Girls don't like slim guys, not even slim girls like slim guys, but fashion does.
who even needs girls when you have fashun?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There actually are problems. Really big problems. And I know that if you are a heavier individual reading what he wrote, it's not immediately apparent.

The issue I find is this... slim and fit is an increasingly precious commodity. Slim and fit women have always been top of the totem pole, but now there are a lot fewer of them. The fewer slim chicks there are, the more fit they want their guys. Slim guys get muscled right out.

As it's been stated, women want you taller, which roughly translates to heavier as well. A more muscular man is matched to both curvy and slim women. But as a slim and fit guy, you are only matched to the slimmer woman. Most guys will take the bait on a woman skinnier than their standard, but I find women's more naturally selective nature places weight more firmly in deal breaker catagory.

So, as he said, fat chicks laugh at you, curvy girls feel insecure around you, and the increasingly rare in America slim girls are divided between those who can see themselves with a slim guy and those who can't. The fact that slim is rare actually balloons the size of the man they are looking for, as every pound they lose they add 5 pounds of pure muscle to their desired mate.

Athletic men have the best odds. Of course I'm stating the obvious, but on a fashion board where slim is 'the look' it runs against the grain. Girls don't like slim guys, not even slim girls like slim guys, but fashion does.

I think we may be getting confused in the semantics here. There's a difference between slim (thin/skinny) and athletic. When I said "slim", I actually meant "athletic" in my post above.

arghmellamopablo

Reaction score
Soccer players for instance:

David Beckham Age 34 \t5'11" (1.80m) 158 lbs (71.8 kg)

Cristiano Ronaldo Age 24 \t6' 1" (1.85m) \t165 lbs (75 kg)

Me Age 21 6' 1" (1.85m) 165 lbs (75 kg)

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arghmellamopablo
Soccer players for instance:

David Beckham Age 34 \t5'11" (1.80m) 158 lbs (71.8 kg)

Cristiano Ronaldo Age 24 \t6' 1" (1.85m) \t165 lbs (75 kg)

Me Age 21 6' 1" (1.85m) 165 lbs (75 kg)

Body is overrated when talking about soccer players. Case in point, like at players like Ronaldinho, Tevez, and Ribery. I think it would be hard to find a women who would consider any of them attractive. If you put Beckhams body on a average person's face the whole of the person would only become average. It is only through the face, charisma, and clothing that make Beckham what he is.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06
If you put Beckhams body on a average person's face the whole of the person would only become average.

Style Guy 21

Reaction score
I think that the skinny/althetic look is defintely most desireable right now. The girls I associate with generally do not want super muscular guys. I do agree that they want the guy to be bigger than they are, however. It's most important to be the best that you can be. If you naturally bigger than you're never going to be soccer player cut and skinny just like a skinny guy is never going to a bodybuilder. Take what you have and make the most of it. Someone is gonna love it.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your body doesn't matter this much when dealing with the opposite sex unless you have a ****** between your thighs.

Being built like a pro boxer ftw.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Your body doesn't matter this much when dealing with the opposite sex unless you have a ****** between your thighs.

Nah, you're wrong. Women are inherently more selective than men are. Men have a max BMI cap while women have a BMI min and BMI max as well as a height min.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Girls like skinny men. Women like real, lean, built men.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads