• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks - what colours are essential?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Nagrani "fun" socks and wear colors that complement my clothes but do not match them. I think many have a very classic look (diamonds, vertical stripes, etc.). Argyles are great as well. Foo's color choices above are good ones. The Men's Clothing 101 lesson is that shoes should match your pants. Most of us are taking electives now (although I didn't say we were all passing said courses
devil.gif
).

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey and navy blue. Work all the time except for black suit/black shoes combination.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy. Charcoal. Tan.

QED

calvinloke

Reaction score
A businessman matches his socks to his pants. A gentleman matches his socks to his mood. So for me, anything goes but white socks.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I like them to complement something else I'm wearing. Since I almost always wear light blue shirts, navy blue socks almost always work. I only stay away from navy blue socks if something else I'm wearing has lots of navy blue in it, like a tie or jacket--even then, I'd rather go with navy blue than wear grey socks with grey trousers or . . . *shudder* . . . khaki socks with khaki trousers. I would absolutely never wear navy blue socks with a navy blue suit or navy blue trousers. If you must match the color of your socks and trousers together, at least make the socks a little darker to provide some contrast.

Some people here seem to like 'fun socks'. Don't listen to them, either. It's a trick.

Okay, I hear what you're sayin about the khaki trousers and socks... interestingly enough, my boss actually told me last week not to wear light tan socks and to stick to darker colors (yeah he's a special kind of boss I guess)

So my question is: since my pants are all cotton, and one of three colors (olive, khaki, british tan), what color socks should I be wearing?

I bought navy blue and dark brown socks today from Gold Toe, will these be acceptable to mix and match as I please with the pants I described?

thanks

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Bright red is all you need. Well all I need.

Nope.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Navy blue. Works 90% of the time.

Matt once posted that. It sounded good to me so I went out and bought 2 dozen pair of Navy socks ( guess I wanted to be like Matt ). Later he admitted that he was kidding and has many Navy socks but many, many other colors too. Luckily, so do I!

For the OP though. If you could only have 5 pairs of socks, Navy would be a good choice since they are very versatile and could go with almost anything. It would be boring though.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
A boss who specifies what socks should be worn in a workplace where cotton trousers are acceptable sounds like a real piece of work. Keep records in case you have to sue.

Well in all fairness the company made a deliberate decision 5 years ago to change the dress code from business attire to business casual.

I like a nice suit, but I prefer wearing my cotton pants and nice button downs.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke
A businessman matches his socks to his pants. A gentleman matches his socks to his mood. So for me, anything goes but white socks.

Well said.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy a good assortment of socks.

SOCKSMANY.jpg

I always buy two pairs of socks to compliment any pants I buy. I get them at the same time I pick up my pants in order to get a good color match. Rarely are they solid. I often like to match the pant color and then have a small pattern that picks up the color of my shoe (brown mostly).

graysocks.jpg

or

socks-7.jpg

or

ashoe.jpg

It's almost impossible to exactly match the color of your socks to your pants so I usually look for a heather background.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Navy blue , dark grey , black ,brown and tan ....
90% of my socks are just plain solid...No dots ,stripes or patterns..
I used to have a lot of Burberry's socks 10 years ago and I loved the pattern ...
I just find solid socks easier to match with everything and I'm aware of the fact that's a bit lazy..

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
It's almost impossible to exactly match the color of your socks to your pants so I usually look for a heather background.
I don't like an exact match. Instead I try to go for the same hue but several shades lighter or darker. If there is a highlight pattern on the socks I try to match it to something worn on my upper body rather than the shoes.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want to match socks to something, make it match or complement your shirt. Makes things more interesting for your eyes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads