• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Certified Pre-Owned the way to go?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am considering jumping into the German engineered automobile marked and have been looking at used BMW's and Mercedes. I was wondering what the thought is on Certified Pre-Owned vs. non CP-O.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
CPO is the way to go when buying BMW for the long term.
CPO with an extended warranty for either BMW or MB, I wouldn't consider a used one otherwise.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
CPO with an extended warranty for either BMW or MB, I wouldn't consider a used one otherwise.

+1 or get ready for large repair bills if something goes wrong.. Had a minor fender bender in mine and the passenger side headlight assembly was $1,200 for the parts alone..
eek.gif

That said, I've been driving BMW for over 10 years and am very pleased with the quality, although I tend to trade in around 50,000 miles so cannot speak for the used ones.. If it were me, I'd do CPO all the way..

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+ CPO

Needed a new transmission at 98000. miles on a 3 series. Cost me 50.00 to cover the deductible. A no-brainer.

konadog

Reaction score
a few years ago i bought a 2001 MBZ E320, got it CPO and with extended warranty. i would highly recommend it. i've paid very little for repairs and it still runs extremely well just shy of 100k.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Originally Posted by gnatty8
+1 or get ready for large repair bills if something goes wrong.. Had a minor fender bender in mine and the passenger side headlight assembly was $1,200 for the parts alone..
eek.gif
That said, I've been driving BMW for over 10 years and am very pleased with the quality, although I tend to trade in around 50,000 miles so cannot speak for the used ones.. If it were me, I'd do CPO all the way..

This was pretty much my thinking. The market down here is flooded with pretty low mileage used cars and a few of the dealerships in the area offer the 6 year 100k mileage CPO. Is the CPO exclusive to the purchasing dealership or is it a nationwide thing? I won't be sticking around my current locale for 6 years, hell even 1 year is a stretch, so I would need it to come with me.

Asterix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
This was pretty much my thinking. The market down here is flooded with pretty low mileage used cars and a few of the dealerships in the area offer the 6 year 100k mileage CPO.

Is the CPO exclusive to the purchasing dealership or is it a nationwide thing? I won't be sticking around my current locale for 6 years, hell even 1 year is a stretch, so I would need it to come with me.

CPO is nationwide at all authorized dealerships and the best route to go with owning any used car.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Six year CPO with BMW begins at the in service date for the car, not the sales date and stays with the car regardless of locale and transfers with ownership.

marin

Reaction score
+1 on CPO

I have nothing but good things to say about my BMW. However, when something does need to be repaired, it is very costly. Any savings from buying a non-CPO luxury car will be quickly eaten up by a single repair not covered by the warranty.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Six year CPO with BMW begins at the in service date for the car, not the sales date and stays with the car regardless of locale and transfers with ownership.
What qualifies as the beginning "in service date"? Also, anybody know of problem that arise using these plans? Are there limitations or deductables?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with essentially everyone in this thread, but I think CPO is a joke.

The reason you see so many attractive leases on BMWs and Mercedes Benzes (and other luxury lines) is that they take these things back with moderate mileage (30-40k), they do absolutely nothing to them besides a quick detail, and then sell them again at 80% (or more) of retail, having already collected 40% of the car's value from the lease payments. You don't necessarily get the full warranty, and there's not any guarantee that the car hasn't been in an accident. CPO is a huge money-maker for dealers... which is reason enough to see why it isn't a great deal for customers.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Originally Posted by Douglas
I'm going to disagree with essentially everyone in this thread, but I think CPO is a joke.

The reason you see so many attractive leases on BMWs and Mercedes Benzes (and other luxury lines) is that they take these things back with moderate mileage (30-40k), they do absolutely nothing to them besides a quick detail, and then sell them again at 80% (or more) of retail, having already collected 40% of the car's value from the lease payments. You don't necessarily get the full warranty, and there's not any guarantee that the car hasn't been in an accident. CPO is a huge money-maker for dealers... which is reason enough to see why it isn't a great deal for customers.

This makes sense, but it still seems like a reasonable way to go about leasing one of these cars. Your other options are non-CPO used vehicles, or new. I would assume the former is significantly riskier, and the former is a lot more money. Would you agree?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
This makes sense, but it still seems like a reasonable way to go about leasing one of these cars. Your other options are non-CPO used vehicles, or new. I would assume the former is significantly riskier, and the former is a lot more money. Would you agree?

Not sure if Douglas agrees, but I agree. It's all about risk, and whether or not the risk you avoid with the CPO car makes up for the higher margin relative to the non-CPO car. The fact that the dealer makes money on a CPO car means nothing to me, since they make money on their new cars as well, as they should, they aren't in this for charity or benevolence. Look at a comparable, non-CPO car and see what the price differential is. If it's significant, and you have the cash, buy the non-CPO and sock the difference away in a CD. If you ever need to make repairs, you'll have the cash available to do so, and if the dealer prices the CPO car right, you should be better off 9 times out of 10, buying the non-CPO car. However, this is where risk comes in. Are you willing to risk that your car is the one in 10 where the dealer would lose money on the CPO car, meaning you will pay more than you socked away?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Obviously, yes, this is all about risk. But I'm just not convinced that the deal you get from a CPO program is all that safe. I haven't looked at what's on offer lately, but it always seemed to me that you ended up with only a mildly extended warranty (~1 year) unless you paid for more, which brought the relative pricing even closer. I wasn't so sure, last I looked at it, that you wouldn't be better off in a private sale with a 1-owner car that you really took a close look at. And there are aftermarket extended warranties you can buy, too, to mitigate your risks.

I chose to lease my car (BMW 3-series coupe) with the intention of buying it. Because they were running a lease promotion, I pay 40% of the value of the vehicle at 0 interest, and when my lease term is up (end of this year) I've got plenty socked away in the meantime to buy the car out. In the meantime, I've coasted 3 years without any paying any maintenance costs, and I could even finance the rest of it, albeit probably not at some 2.9%ish teaser rate like I might have been able to otherwise.

I guess I just haven't felt like, at the price delta between new and CPO, that the dealer was accepting enough risk for my tastes, but that's a decision you have to make on your own, I guess. I'm a bit colored by the fact that my GF bought a CPO Volvo that hasn't run right since day 1 and between her not getting ****** enough and the dealer being a scumbag, she's gotten royally screwed, having paid 80% of retail for a car nobody in their right mind will ever buy because the suspension and steering are fucked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads