• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you remove shoe trees?

Elgin

Reaction score
Gawd, i can't believe I have to ask, but here goes. I received a pair of nice shoes today and they arrived with shoe trees already in them. How the heck do you get them out? A shoe horn to pop the back side forward? (There are no handles or knobs or anything.)

dj-jd

Reaction score
The shoes are meant to be worn with the shoetrees inside.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dj-jd
The shoes are meant to be worn with the shoetrees inside.

It is also acceptable to wear the shoes while the shoes are still in their box...this can help to prolong their life.

- B

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Only if you're lucky enough to get a box with your shoes.

lefty

Bellum

Reaction score
You mean you guys WEAR your shoes? I take pictures of them and put them in my shoe shrine.

I sell the boxes to bigbris, helps offset the cost.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to dip them in gasoline and light them on fire. The cedar is very flammable and will burn out before the leather does.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
You have to dip them in gasoline and light them on fire. The cedar is very flammable and will burn out before the leather does.
Just pull up on the back part of the tree. Even if there is no handle, there should be a lip that you can put your fingers under and pull upward. Or purchase a shoe tree extractor. You brought this on yourself.
musicboohoo[1].gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Elgin
Gawd, i can't believe I have to ask, but here goes. I received a pair of nice shoes today and they arrived with shoe trees already in them. How the heck do you get them out? A shoe horn to pop the back side forward? (There are no handles or knobs or anything.)

What picture below do your trees most resemble?

shoe-trees-anim.gif

- B

Elgin

Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't realize there is/should be a lip.

And to the rest of you, thanks very much for your support!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let us know when you get them out. Inquiring minds want to know,
wink.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

If the heel of your tree looks like this:

wooden_shoe_tree.jpg

Then yes, you pull up at the lip. As you pull, the spring compresses and helps you release the tree.

- B

Elgin

Reaction score
Yep - it does look like that, though I couldn't see it until you guys clued me in to the lip. So I'm an idiot, I admit it. The good news is that I the shoes -- AE MacNeil -- look like a million bucks.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep - it does look like that, though I couldn't see it until you guys clued me in to the lip. So I'm an idiot, I admit it. The good news is that I the shoes -- AE MacNeil -- look like a million bucks.
Cool. I love my MacNeils. Classic American longwings. Shell cordovan or calfskin? What color? I've got #8 shell.

Elgin

Reaction score
Calfskin. I actually really wanted the alden shells, but i tried on both last week and the two shoes, to the naked eye, are totally indistinguishable. I guess over the years there will be some difference in performance, but at literally half the price these seem good to me.

That said, I think they're probably the nicest shoes I've ever bought, my previous purchases all being more than 5 years old and typical banana republic stuff.

So, some advice, please, from those of you who know better. Should I add a waterproofing polish/cream/whatever to these immediately once I decide they fit perfectly, before polishing them and/or wearing them outside? Or is it bad for the shoes to add that stuff to your shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads