• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trend towards being a skinny guy?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
No, but it's still possible to 'overdo it'.

absolutely true. I was just saying that the fear of "overdoing it" is the excuse people make to stay fat (or skinny) and lazy.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06
I think the muscular but not the hulkish look of the Schwarzenegger is the way to go. Daniel Craig, Gerald Butler, Hugh Jackman, Ryan Reynolds are all guys who are all very muscular, but they stay lean. You can tell they go to the gym to stay fit, but they do not over do it.

Well, the Schwarzenegger look might still work for more "mature" ladies...

arnold-schwarzenegger-with-two-old-ladies-celebrities-28932.jpg

inq89

Reaction score
I've heard from a few girls that the best male body type is what soccer players have. Tall and lean muscle. Thankfully I am blessed with good genes to not work hard to get those results, although there was a point in my recent past that I wanted to bulk up and look like an Abercrombie model. Not my liking anymore, plus clothes look better. There is a show called Burn Notice (laugh at me if you wish) and the main character is skinny but still looks like a badass.

jwied82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by umadcuzimstylinonu
Does anyone else but me feel that there seems to be a trend towards being a skinny but ripped (low body fat %) guy versus a more muscular guy? I mean, when I look at who girls find attractive nowadays (Zac Efruit, The Jonas Brothers, some skater named Ryan Sheker or something like that), those guys have almost no muscle and just have low body fat. Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing this as well?

Yeah, its just a current trend... it's not like a majority of teen idols for the past 50+ years have been of a similar build.

look at this behemoth!

http://www.stuckinthe70s.com/images/tbss77shauncf.jpg

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure things have changed that much or are ever changing - are Steve McQueen/Paul Newman/Robert Redford/Cary Grant/Jimmy Stewart/James Dean/etc.. all that different from the (post-pubescent) guys mentioned in this thread?

The bodybuilder look has never been what women find sexy.

EdenResident

Reaction score
A couple chicks I know find the roided-out bodybuilder look "gross." They say they'd rather date a (somewhat) fat or skinny guy.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
I've heard from a few girls that the best male body type is what soccer players have. Tall and lean muscle. Thankfully I am blessed with good genes to not work hard to get those results, although there was a point in my recent past that I wanted to bulk up and look like an Abercrombie model. Not my liking anymore, plus clothes look better. There is a show called Burn Notice (laugh at me if you wish) and the main character is skinny but still looks like a badass.

Since when were Abercrombie models considered big? Anything smaller than the abercrombie and fitch look (i am talking about you average a&f model, not the jacked up ones) would be borderline skinny/the models you would see on AA website.

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06
Since when were Abercrombie models considered big? Anything smaller than the abercrombie and fitch look (i am talking about you average a&f model, not the jacked up ones) would be borderline skinny/the models you would see on AA website.
Well I guess the jacked up ones are what I'm referring to. I use Abercrombie more as a suggestion for the image I'm trying to paint. But I don't think the average AF model is that skinny either IMO, at least in my terms. They are the ideal image of the testosterone-fed American football quarterback with clearly defined guys with knots of pecs, abs, and quads. That's too much for what I try to achieve, as well as the girls I talk to. They prefer lean muscle a la Lance Armstrong and David Beckham as opposed to the Carlson Twins (although the twins are still "hot"", but if they had to choose one body type over another...) edit:I should add that that last time I shopped at AF (years ago), the models were much larger than they are now. Some of the current ones are noticeably skinnier than from before.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
They prefer lean muscle a la Lance Armstrong and David Beckham

guaranteed those guys put in 1-2 hours/day minimum at the gym or at practice, they supplement and eat clean and don't drink a whole lot of booze if at all.

I always say if women want an athlete then they should go for an athlete. I maybe can spend an hour a day in the gym. I think the best most guys can do is exercise regularly, eat food that fuels your body (clean stuff 90%+ of the time) and don't be an alcoholic. Follow those 3 tenets, have some confidence, don't dress like an idiot, and women will probably find you attractive.

Opermann

Reaction score
Girls go nuts over performers, musicians and money, not hard bodies and models. Witness the throngs of women waiting to jump all over rock stars as they leave a venue. Sure, looks matter a little, although I attribute my extraordinarily hot blonde wife in large part to my voice and not my six pack (or lack thereof). You want to attract women? Learn how to sing
biggrin.gif

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
Quite seriously, big muscles are not that high on most girls' priorities. They prefer slim (read: not bone skinny). Be slim before ripped. Slim + defined muscles = perfect combo.

I have a lot of female friends who actually say they can't stand an excessively muscular physique.

If you needed any proof, your list of celebrities is pretty much spot on.

Tell this to guidos.

Haha.

umadcuzimstylinonu

Reaction score
Is there a way to add a poll to this thread, because I'm thinking that we are fairly even between the two camps (agree/disagree).

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiscogooner
guaranteed those guys put in 1-2 hours/day minimum at the gym or at practice, they supplement and eat clean and don't drink a whole lot of booze if at all.

SO WRONG

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those elite professional athletes, only working out an hour a day! (Wait, is Beckham still elite? He's been aight since going back to Europe right?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads