• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I Get a Bespoke DJ?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I think it depends on how dissatisfied you are with what you have. Say on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 = you hate wearing it, Dopey's attitude is a 5 at present.

I am probable at about 4 or maybe 5, but I think it would be nice to be able to experience 10.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that you have a Paul Stuart dj, but I thought it was more recent, around 2003. Didn't you mention that you bought it rtw at PS because you needed one rush at that time? I'm actually surprised you don't attend more functions where a dj would be de rigueur. Regardless, since all your other tailored clothes are bespoke, I don't see why you wouldn't get a dj made. Now whether or not your personal specs will ensure that it doesn't look outdated in less than 10 years remains to be seen.

LaoHu

Reaction score
If you took the plunge, what would you get? Midnight blue, shawl collar?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I am holding out on replacing mine as long as I can, and I am sure it is worse than yours. I guess, I don't really care that much anymore.
My wife has been bugging me to get a new one, so maybe I will. I am pretty sure this weekend will be the last I need one until next late fall, so I think if I put it off a bit, I can go another whole year.

your wife begs you to get a new dj? how often do you wear it!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
When I got that DJ I was probably going to black tie events 4-6 times a year. They are dying off. Another reason not to do it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaoHu
If you took the plunge, what would you get? Midnight blue, shawl collar?

Definitely blue DB, have not decided on shawl or peak.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
May I ask why? Or are you just being a contrarian for poops and giggles?

Just my interpretation of Manton's level of satisfaction with his RTW DJ, combined with a usage of a couple times a year. I don't know which tailor he was considering but I assume it will be a $3-4k expense. It just doesn't seem worth it.

Am I usually "contrarian for poops and giggles" ?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A DJ was my first bespoke purchase. I based it more on the thought that it was more important to look good at black tie affairs than at business attire affairs. In retrospect, I'm not sure that's really true, but I am very happy now that I have a bespoke DJ on those 2 occasions or so per year that I wear it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm with GDL: as long as you work for rich people, just stick with RTW.

- B

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. If I had the cash for bespoke a DJ would probably be No. 3 or 4 Surely black tie events are things you want to go to, whilst your regular suits are for things you have to go to like work. I would rather look my best for the events I enjoy.
Also so long as you don't radically change shape you are not going to need another one in a hurry so it should be a lasting 'investment'.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
Yes. If I had the cash for bespoke a DJ would probably be No. 3 or 4 Surely black tie events are things you want to go to, whilst your regular suits are for things you have to go to like work. I would rather look my best for the events I enjoy.
Also so long as you don't radically change shape you are not going to need another one in a hurry so it should be a lasting 'investment'.

Shhhhh...that makes too much sense.

- B

LaoHu

Reaction score
I think some of his black tie events are work.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Definitely blue DB, have not decided on shawl or peak.

Sounds like an emotional decision has been made and the hunt is on for rational justification. I recognize my M.O.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sounds like an emotional decision has been made and the hunt is on for rational justification. I recognize my M.O.

Sweet!

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think some of his black tie events are work.

?

466370.JPG

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads