• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I Get a Bespoke DJ?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Never had one of these. My DJ is RTW (Paul Stuart, 1999). It is an odd size (41XL) so it fits me reasonably well as RTW goes, but not spectacularly. The button stance is low, the lapels are satin, and the pockets have flaps (which I tuck in). The cut is passable but hardly all that elegant.

I can count on wearing a DJ two times a year, and sometimes more. One the one hand, that is not much. On the other hand, 2x+ per year for the next 20 years is something like 50 wearings, which is ... still not much. But it might be nice to finally have something great to wear on those occasions. I have never calculated how much I actually wear other garments, but I will bet that some of them that I absolutely love don't get out much either.

Every time I have contemplated this in the past I have not done it -- opportunity cost is just too great. But now I am thinking that perhaps -- finally -- every other conceivable base is covered, and so it is time.

Opinions?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Foo has a bespoke DJ before you??

For shame.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It shocks me that you do not already own one. The thought of the great Manton, who owns so many bespoke commissions that he experiments with things like Blazersuits, showing up in an RTW garment at a black tie event when everyone is supposed to look their very finest, is mind-boggling to me. I therefore vote a resounding yes.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you have the cloth you want to use or completely starting form scratch?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
The Foo has a bespoke DJ before you?? For shame.
Yes. Manton is a small-timer compared to Foof (the ultimate diss).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote no.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I vote no.

May I ask why? Or are you just being a contrarian for poops and giggles?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
No. You seem to be weighting in use and other "economical" factors. Some purchases can only be born out of infinite love.
laugh.gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am holding out on replacing mine as long as I can, and I am sure it is worse than yours. I guess, I don't really care that much anymore.
My wife has been bugging me to get a new one, so maybe I will. I am pretty sure this weekend will be the last I need one until next late fall, so I think if I put it off a bit, I can go another whole year.

ndw

Reaction score
Definitely get one. You could even get some special features like a hidden bib and an internal pocket for your doggie bags- Swissarmy dinner jacket. In all seriousness- after reading so many of your posts I am surprised you dont already own one.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
While you might wear the DJ fewer times than your suits, you'll probably wear it to occasions where you're likely to bee seen by more people, and where you're more likely to be photographed.

Maybe that's more important than simply looking at the number of wearings? Or maybe it's just a justification to buy something nice....

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it depends on how dissatisfied you are with what you have. Say on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 = you hate wearing it, Dopey's attitude is a 5 at present.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Do you have the cloth you want to use or completely starting form scratch?
Tailor's cloth. Almost certainly Smith Woolens nine or ten ounce barathea.
Originally Posted by dopey
My wife has been bugging me to get a new one

This is so far outside the realm of my experience that I can't even process it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads