• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Thoughts on Flat Front Dress Pants?

alebrady

Reaction score
It seems that most 'classic' references are trousers with pleats. I am wondering if you view flat fronts as a viable alternative to pleats or is it something you associate with a fashionable trend that is popular right now?

I have always preferred pleats and cuffs but I recently acquired some fitted coats (think Huntsman) and have been directed toward flat front plain bottom trousers to harmonize with them. So, I am trying to reconcile my natural preference with what might go best with the trimmer Hunstman style cut.

Do you agree that it would be best to get a slimmer, flat front trouser in this case?

I should note, these are going to be worsted and flannel trousers, for work business casual mostly but also some social settings.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Flat fronts are soo boring but they are trendy right now, even so I am keeping my pleated pants.
Both are always going to be acceptable anyway so enjoy both. thats my opinion anyway.
to me flat fronts will look dated faster than any pleated pants will. even just one pleat is cool.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
Flat fronts are soo boring but they are trendy right now, even so I am keeping my pleated pants.
Both are always going to be acceptable anyway so enjoy both. thats my opinion anyway.
to me flat fronts will look dated faster than any pleated pants will. even just one pleat is cool.

Among my male friends within my age group (late 20s) though, pleated pants are often seen as representing the old and fuddy duddy look, whereas flat fronts are seen as the more "youthful" look. But maybe we all will learn when we are past 30
wink.gif

When I had my first bespoke suit made, my tailor convinced me that pleated pants are the way to go. He promised me that he will make them look good on me. First fitting is in October. We'll see...

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady
It seems that most 'classic' references are trousers with pleats.

This isnt true. Flat front pants actually predate pleated pants, the only problem is all those people are dead and there are few photos to support it.

Its in the same vein as a tuxedo being formalwear. At one point it was an informal dressing worn by some guys in tuxedo park, now its formalwear.

So saying "classically blah blah blah" isn't always correct because even menswear is cyclical, while not nearly as quickly as fashion, but it still is.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally don't see flat front pants as "trendy", considering that I've been wearing them almost exclusively for 10 years now. I like the cleaner lines of flat-front pants.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
This isnt true. Flat front pants actually predate pleated pants, the only problem is all those people are dead and there are few photos to support it.

Its in the same vein as a tuxedo being formalwear. At one point it was an informal dressing worn by some guys in tuxedo park, now its formalwear.

So saying "classically blah blah blah" isn't always correct because even menswear is cyclical, while not nearly as quickly as fashion, but it still is.

im not sure that you correctly interpreted my point. My observation and question had nothing to do with which came first, merely that in most references to being 'classicaly' attired trouser references seem to include pleats. I was also using the term classical in reference to past eras that are commonly held to provide many of our current day principles in dress, though certainly there may have been other, traditional uses or aesthetics prior to those eras.

i think your point is a good one though - that things change even in traditional uses and aethetics in menswear.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I think when people assume classic they think old or original. In this case classically really just means the early-mid 1900s. I think the same way, I always associate pleats and big cuffs with more classical dressing, when its not necessarily "true". If dressing from the 20s-50s is classic, then what would the 1800s be?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleats are Wrong. Flat-front trousers with cuffs are Right.

Horatio

Reaction score
+1
Pro flat fronts. They fit slim guys like me just fine.

Horatio

Reaction score

suitsusid

Reaction score
i too am Pro Flat front trousers, i could do with losing a few pounds and think these fit and look just right. make you look slimmer even...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads