• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Sofa: Florence Knoll in Ivory Cato

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Possibly a bit of a cheap shot, but I think the general narrative is pretty compelling. This is your modern Lord-of-the-Manor fantasy and it really wouldn't be changed much by a warehouse full of tasteful mid-century stuff.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/gal...?img=1&ref=fpa

How likely is someone to like this repulsive house and tasteful mid-century furniture at the same time?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Possibly a bit of a cheap shot, but I think the general narrative is pretty compelling. This is your modern Lord-of-the-Manor fantasy and it really wouldn't be changed much by a warehouse full of tasteful mid-century stuff.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/gal...?img=1&ref=fpa

I would only find it a cheap shot if I found your dichotomy based on quality vs. quantity to not be fallacious, or at the very least, applicable to me. I find it neither, therefore this link only supports my assertion that you bring much baggage to this and seem to have personal issues.

Now, I'm not sure if it was a cheap shot, but for a complete and totaly foot stomping, you can read this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=124335

Cheers.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
How likely is someone to like this repulsive house and tasteful mid-century furniture at the same time?

Not very. But how likely is it that someone contemplating such an addled suburban fantasy might have any taste to begin with? Oh, sure, it could be better, but this is where a lot of the obsession with size and the display of wealth leads. It's a pity there's no exercise room. Perhaps a corner of the Loft could be appropriated. Interesting how the furniture is so spare; massive, yes, but generally just a couple of things per room.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not very. But how likely is it that someone contemplating such an addled suburban fantasy might have any taste to begin with? Oh, sure, it could be better, but this is where a lot of the obsession with size and the display of wealth leads. It's a pity there's no exercise room. Perhaps a corner of the Loft could be appropriated. Interesting how the furniture is so spare; massive, yes, but generally just a couple of things per room.

This house does not represent the only way to live in the suburbs, even if it is alarmingly common these days. Urban dwellers are not the only ones with taste. If I had the money to afford such a monstrosity, I'd it on a larger, wooded land in a more secluded area, and build a smaller, more tasteful house. But I'd still be in the suburbs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Sorry, I forgot to identify these fallacious assumptions too.

I'm looking forward to my yurt.

This house does not represent the only way to live in the suburbs, even if it is alarmingly common these days. Urban dwellers are not the only ones with taste. If I had the money to afford such a monstrosity, I'd it on a larger, wooded land in a more secluded area, and build a smaller, more tasteful house. But I'd still be in the suburbs.

Foof, you are attempting to present reasonably framed things to a man that does not want to reason. Leave him alone, in his pyschosis.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I would only find it a cheap shot if I found your dichotomy based on quality vs. quantity to not be fallacious, or at the very least, applicable to me. I find it neither, therefore this link only supports my assertion that you bring much baggage to this and seem to have personal issues.

Now, I'm not sure if it was a cheap shot, but for a complete and totaly foot stomping, you can read this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=124335

Cheers.

Baggage. Yawn. And if that's your idea of vindication....

Anyway, as I said earlier, this is (sadly) where the suburban manse too often leads. Wouldn't it be totally great if we had a wine cellar that looked like every crappy cheap tasting room you've ever been in? btw, feel free to show me some kick-ass examples of tasteful 5000sf suburban houses.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Baggage. Yawn. And if that's your idea of vindication....

Anyway, as I said earlier, this is (sadly) where the suburban manse too often leads. Wouldn't it be totally great if we had a wine cellar that looked like every crappy cheap tasting room you've ever been in? btw, feel free to show me some kick-ass examples of tasteful 5000sf suburban houses.

Some members here, have posted tasteful houses approaching that size. And why would I post you examples of anything? Unlike you, I have nothing to prove.

Cheers.

P.S. I see your fixation now, more clearly. I notice you didn't ask for any house of 5k sq feet, but rather a suburban house. Me thinks we've spotted a big city snob.

pejsek

Reaction score

I agree. I've seen plenty of beautiful suburban houses. And I wouldn't be truthful if I didn't admit that city living doesn't sometimes lead to a longing for a more pastoral existence. I'm really not dogmatic. I'm certainly not arguing that urban dwellers are even likely to have better taste.

It does, however, seem to me that so much new suburban building is based on these silly It's-A-Small-World fantasies (Roman villa with bonus Pirates-of-the-Caribbean den). And size often really is the enemy. Once you reach a certain point you do sort of abandon the human scale--the ability to experience and appreciate (which was what I was trying to get at with the notion of basic human needs).

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Some members here, have posted tasteful houses approaching that size. And why would I post you examples of anything? Unlike you, I have nothing to prove.

Cheers.

P.S. I see your fixation now, more clearly. I notice you didn't ask for any house of 5k sq feet, but rather a suburban house. Me thinks we've spotted a big city snob.

Yes, you certainly don't owe me anything. Good to see you find the bolding function such a useful tool.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I like the way it fits into the landscape. It's a bit bigger and more stark than I personally would prefer, but it seems comfortable and a fitting expression of its owner's tastes. I hope they are happy there.

Missed the exercise room, though.

My, but you do fixate.

How do you know it's not there, and he simply did not have a photo of it taken?

pejsek

Reaction score
Okay, now I see you've appended the Fallingwater house. I honestly don't see your point, except that you seem to have decided I'm simply some 'big city snob' who is obligated to turn his nose up at everything that is not his. This is just plain silly.

The two houses you reference here make good use of rural settings.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, now I see you've appended the Fallingwater house. I honestly don't see your point, except that you seem to have decided I'm simply some 'big city snob' who is obligated to turn his nose up at everything that is not his. This is just plain silly.

The two houses you reference here make good use of rural settings.

Your first dozen posts or so, certainly made pugnaciously clear, what seemed a complete rejection of anything a) bigger than your domicile and b) not in a major metro area. How did you start your initial position off? Oh yes, "What new type of hell is this?" I believe. I tried several times to suggest perhaps that was too extreme a characterization, but only in the last few posts, have you in any way moderated your assertions. In fact, just today, you started off with that disaster of a house as your QED summation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads