• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Seems like there have been quite a few complaints about the Papworth seconds. I had toyed with getting one, but I think I'll pass.

I haven't had any problems with my briggs from the papworth store I mine is probably the cheapest one they make. It only costed 35 GBP at the store. Its been through lots of storms and not at all damaged

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I haven't had any problems with my briggs from the papworth store I mine is probably the cheapest one they make. It only costed 35 GBP at the store. Its been through lots of storms and not at all damaged

Yeah, it's hard to know how to judge it. I paid full retail for my Brigg (shocking, I know), and haven't had any problems. But I know quite a few people bought the Papworths, so I'm not sure if the greater number of complaints among Papworth owners is a reflection of corner-cutting or a function of the greater number of people who bought the seconds vs. paying retail. I'm guessing it's probably a combination of both.

It's probably not that different than shopping at, say, a Polo outlet. I've bought plenty of lovely, first-quality items, but periodically find a suit with the wrong-sized trou or a coat with a large hole in it. Good to check these things in person, if possible.

_AMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I'll have some good umbrella pr0n to contribute soon: my latest order for metal shafted umbrellas (including some custom colors) arrived from Brigg.

How soon will they be on your site for viewing/purchase? Thanks.

Aaron

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have some good umbrella pr0n to contribute soon: my latest order for metal shafted umbrellas (including some custom colors) arrived from Brigg.

Do you get huge discounts from Brigg because it's custom?. There's a shop here in the Netherlands which sells Brigg. Their brolly's have a Royal Warrant, but no Swaine Adeney branding. Prices are around 170 euros for solid sticks, far from 220 gbp on SAB site.

There's another shop in Amsterdam that sells fox umbrella's. The shop owner got interviewed and he told the reporter that fox umbrella's are quality-wise the same as Brigg, Brigg's are more expensive because they spend more on marketing. That's why he doesn't stock Brigg anymore.

Can't wait to see more pictures, although I'm already settled on fox...

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
The shop owner got interviewed and he told the reporter that fox umbrella's are quality-wise the same as Brigg, Brigg's are more expensive because they spend more on marketing. That's why he doesn't stock Brigg anymore.

Yeah, I see brigg in magazines and on billboards all the time

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, don't JS and Briggs use Fox frames for their metal tube umbrellas?

tricota

Reaction score
Is that your first Brigg, Steven? Maple is always a solid choice.

There seems to be - atleast in the pictures I have seen - a rather big difference in colour of the shaft. In some pics they are very dark and with a gold RW Collar. In others they appear more light and with a silver RW Collar. I realize of course, that the colour in wood can change, but it seems that none of the websites where you can get them, mentions this...

Surely this would be a rather important factor. It is to me anyways...

tricota

Reaction score

Seeing as though we are once again speaking of the quality of the Brigg umbrella, I seem to remember you posting something about that in a thread...About the difference in qulity I mean. Something about the Ash being a better qulity than the Malacca, as evident by the price the the HY shop. I remember wondering about it at the time, seeing as the price difference between the Ash and the Malacca is not that great on the SAB website. Around 20 pounds, if I remember correctly. Any chance you could post your thoughts again, or direct me to where you posted it so I can see it again...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Do you get huge discounts from Brigg because it's custom?. There's a shop here in the Netherlands which sells Brigg. Their brolly's have a Royal Warrant, but no Swaine Adeney branding. Prices are around 170 euros for solid sticks, far from 220 gbp on SAB site.
That's a good price for a Brigg solid stick, assuming that they have all the top-of-the-line construction and materials. Are they branded with the shop's name and not labeled Brigg? I buy them wholesale, but it is very far from a huge discount. The umbrellas have among the tightest margins of anything I carry. They're barely worth selling in terms of actually making money, but I do because I like them.
Originally Posted by tricota
Seeing as though we are once again speaking of the quality of the Brigg umbrella, I seem to remember you posting something about that in a thread...About the difference in qulity I mean. Something about the Ash being a better qulity than the Malacca, as evident by the price the the HY shop. I remember wondering about it at the time, seeing as the price difference between the Ash and the Malacca is not that great on the SAB website. Around 20 pounds, if I remember correctly. Any chance you could post your thoughts again, or direct me to where you posted it so I can see it again...
Those posts were about two different types of umbrellas Brigg makes (the top-of-the-line gentleman's umbrella and the thin metal shafted. It just so happened that the ones I had available at the time for reference were bark ash solid stick and the thin metal shafted malacca. If they're both made to the top-of-the-line specs, I wouldn't say that the bark ash is an objectively better umbrella, although I haven't put them through a decade of wear and tear. It's mostly a matter of preference.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, Fox frames are not by the Fox umbrella manufacturer, but by a company called Hoyland Fox.
Didn't know that. So no connection at all?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads