• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any fixed-gear/single-speed fans?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Yeah, while I do not currently have a fixie (and right now the hipster connotations and my curent overgrowth of bikes are keeping me from getting another until I move), there is something beautiful about the raw transfer of power that a fixed gear provides.

If you build up a bike with solid parts everywhere (no wiggle in the headset, wheels, bottom bracket) and rig it with a fixed gear, you end up with a bike that has no play in any part including the pedals...just pure man powered machine.

They arwe also good for training you not to coast so much

I guess the gears are like a car. You lose power from the engine to the wheels. Hopefully I get to pick up the bike before the weekend.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is Rivendell's model:
50-150f.jpg

50-150d.jpg

The long horizontal dropout lets you switch to a larger or smaller front gear by taking (or giving) up slack in the chain. The rear hub is also reversible, allowing for two different rear cogs. So you can have a fixie with four different gears.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Here is Rivendell's model:
50-150f.jpg

50-150d.jpg

The long horizontal dropout lets you switch to a larger or smaller front gear by taking (or giving) up slack in the chain. The rear hub is also reversible, allowing for two different rear cogs. So you can have a fixie with four different gears.

Thats pretty cool. I didnt know you could reverse them.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does a bmx count? if so i was in my younger days

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
does a bmx count? if so i was in my younger days

That is why I am buying a fixed gear road bike. Reminds me of my youthful days riding my BMX from sun up to sun down.
laugh.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.. but you can't do tabletops with the bikes posted idt
=(

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You will all enjoy this.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
Amazing and beautiful.

turboman808

Reaction score
I have a single speed specialized bicycle. Nothing amazing and not nearly as cool as some of the old school stuff.

When I did restore a vintage bicycle I wanted something a little more usable. I wanted to ride it everywhere. Used a old school steel lug colnago with a single down tube shifter for the rear and only the large ring up front. 6 speed cassette out back with big enough gaps that I can ride it up the steepest of mountains and race down. Used campagnolo nuovo groupset with modolo levers. cables are ran so you don't really see them. Give a really smooth and fast look to the bike. Has a newer brooks saddle that still hurts but it looks cool on the bike.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I have a single speed specialized bicycle. Nothing amazing and not nearly as cool as some of the old school stuff.

When I did restore a vintage bicycle I wanted something a little more usable. I wanted to ride it everywhere. Used a old school steel lug colnago with a single down tube shifter for the rear and only the large ring up front. 6 speed cassette out back with big enough gaps that I can ride it up the steepest of mountains and race down. Used campagnolo nuovo groupset with modolo levers. cables are ran so you don't really see them. Give a really smooth and fast look to the bike. Has a newer brooks saddle that still hurts but it looks cool on the bike.

I like this plan. Sounds like a great bike. Pics, please?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Yeah, while I do not currently have a fixie (and right now the hipster connotations and my curent overgrowth of bikes are keeping me from getting another until I move), there is something beautiful about the raw transfer of power that a fixed gear provides.

If you build up a bike with solid parts everywhere (no wiggle in the headset, wheels, bottom bracket) and rig it with a fixed gear, you end up with a bike that has no play in any part including the pedals...just pure man powered machine.

They arwe also good for training you not to coast so much

I've got a multi-gear bike and while I have nothing against them, I don't get the hype for fixed gears. Having gears makes life much more convenient, and I haven't really experienced any consequences to riding one...

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
How are the cables run?

Only a single down tube shifter for the rear cassette. So yeah there is a cable but with no sleeve. The brake cables are run thru the bottom of the lever and then ran under the brooks leather bar tape. So yeah I have cables but not showing that much. 6 inches at the bar tape and 6 inches at the rear cassette.

At first glance people think it's a single speed sometimes. Then they see the rear derailer. I guess I should take pictures of it.

Oh also have pantographed seat post, cranks and stem. The brakes are shimano delta.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
Only a single down tube shifter for the rear cassette. So yeah there is a cable but with no sleeve. The brake cables are run thru the bottom of the lever and then ran under the brooks leather bar tape. So yeah I have cables but not showing that much. 6 inches at the bar tape and 6 inches at the rear cassette.

At first glance people think it's a single speed sometimes. Then they see the rear derailer. I guess I should take pictures of it.

Oh also have pantographed seat post, cranks and stem. The brakes are shimano delta.

Cool!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads