• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
But they can do both! I wouldn't expect them to do it to all their pants--just the ones that are billed as "slim fit." For men with tiny bird legs and no ass, J. Crew pants fit like ****. Their slim fit pants are great below the knee, but the ass and thighs could fit two, perhaps three Asian men comfortably. You old farts can have your classic, regular, giant, officer, surplus, etc. All I ask for is one pair of pants with sensible proportions for a man with a 30 inch waist, no ass, and skinny thighs. As it is now, I have to have all my J. Crew pants altered in the seat so I don't look like I crapped myself. I don't care what your aesthetic priorities are, dumpy ass pants are just not flattering.

Also: No one has tried out their Ludlow suit? I think I might order one and give it a shot. If anyone else is interested I can report back with my data.

Couldn't agree more with respect to seat and and thighs in need of some slimming on the "slim" and supposedly "slim through the seat and thigh" classic fits, etc.

With regards to the Ludlow suiting, I've tried it on in the store a few times. What exactly are you looking for? Assuming fit, I normally wear a US 36R suit and the smallest size in store I always see is a 38. Considering it was supposed to be slim, I tried it and I would say they run true, slim, but not slim enough for me, typical J.Crew slim if you know what I mean. The shoulders were noticeably a better fit than the Albridge suit in the same size though. I'm sure a 36 would have fit me better, but I couldn't do the comparison. With regards to quality, they were nice. Nothing to rave about, but on sale, I would probably give them a buy.

EdenResident

Reaction score
Yeah their "slim" pants/chinos aren't slim at all. Luckily for me, I have relatively big thighs so I can still fit into them. Now I just need to do more squats to fill out the ass.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Couldn't agree more with respect to seat and and thighs in need of some slimming on the "slim" and supposedly "slim through the seat and thigh" classic fits, etc. With regards to the Ludlow suiting, I've tried it on in the store a few times. What exactly are you looking for? Assuming fit, I normally wear a US 36R suit and the smallest size in store I always see is a 38. Considering it was supposed to be slim, I tried it and I would say they run true, slim, but not slim enough for me, typical J.Crew slim if you know what I mean. The shoulders were noticeably a better fit than the Albridge suit in the same size though. I'm sure a 36 would have fit me better, but I couldn't do the comparison. With regards to quality, they were nice. Nothing to rave about, but on sale, I would probably give them a buy.
Thanks. No stores near me carry suiting so I was just curious to hear what they are like in person. I'm also a 36R so I would have to order from the site. With 20% coupon, the pile of gift cards I have been amassing, and my new higher-limit J. Crew Silver card I was thinking of taking a chance on one. I'm graduating college soon and I need a versatile suit that straddles the line between classic and modern--something with a slightly slimmer silhouette than normal, but nothing too aggressive.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. No stores near me carry suiting so I was just curious to hear what they are like in person. I'm also a 36R so I would have to order from the site. With 20% coupon, the pile of gift cards I have been amassing, and my new higher-limit J. Crew Silver card I was thinking of taking a chance on one. I'm graduating college soon and I need a versatile suit that straddles the line between classic and modern--something with a slightly slimmer silhouette than normal, but nothing too aggressive.

Gotcha. With that coupon and gift cards, I would personally go for it if I was in need of a suit. I think this would be right down your alley.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh I just took a chance on it. Cost me around $400 of real money. If anyone else is curious I will post fit pics when it arrives.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
id love to see it as i'm interested in getting either a ludlow or aldridge, i know it isnt on the site but do they have a 2 button ludlow?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
There is a 2-button ludlow on the site--just not in the "Italian wool." They have it in cotton and worsted wool. I ordered the Italian wool in a 3/2 roll.

Toopy

Reaction score
Grey shorts must be popular this year, can't find any in my size - officer chino shorts, broken in chino or club.

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldsnap
Anyone know how much the 100% Oxfords shrink in the wash?
I'm surprised how slim the tailor fit oxford actually is, I could probably size up to a Small but I'm sure the "shirt tail" would be too long for my liking on a small.

Not sure of the exact amount either, but I'd say around a .5-1'' shrink with hot wash/hot dry. I bought an oxford that was a bit baggy everywhere, and after that wash/dry, it was perfect.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just flipped through the J. Crew June 2009 catalog today. (I like the cover with the couple on it a lot)

I love the J. Crew aesthetic. There are multiple pages of items where I wouldn't mind owning every single piece. (All the vintage oxfords, thomas mason, all colours of the chinos). I think PP has done a great job of getting that look down and I wouldn't mind being dressed in purely J. Crew. A little sale, a little tailoring and a lot of their stuff seems to have great value.

I'm glad they don't have XS in stores and even smaller selection online that's on sale or else I'd be grabbing tons of stuff. ( I rarely buy things at full retail).

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^
There is a 2-button ludlow on the site--just not in the "Italian wool." They have it in cotton and worsted wool. I ordered the Italian wool in a 3/2 roll.

Yeah I saw it, but they only have the charcoal sharkskin and I'm looking for just plain charcoal =/

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
I love the J. Crew aesthetic. There are multiple pages of items where I wouldn't mind owning every single piece. (All the vintage oxfords, thomas mason, all colours of the chinos). I think PP has done a great job of getting that look down and I wouldn't mind being dressed in purely J. Crew. A little sale, a little tailoring and a lot of their stuff seems to have great value.
I swore off Jcrew a couple of years ago in favor of better quality stuff and to just to take some time to re-evaluate after being initiated to the ways of SF. What I've decided is that their knits are not worth my money at any cost. That excludes me buying polo's and sweaters and I'm covered from the waist down with SF approved denim and Incotex Chino Lino's in the summer. Hence, my pickups are limited to shirts and oddly enough I just opted for 3 shirts from the GAP at $20 each because I liked them better than anything I saw at Jcrew.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you should tell us what happens when you wash those gap shirts

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kontai69
Thanks for the measurement. I hope the waist is not going to be too tight.

I made these measurements by zipping/buttoning up the chinos and laying them flat on a table. I align the front and backside top edges of the chinos and measure across the waistband from left side edge to right side edge and multiply by 2. I'm not sure if that is the correct way to measure or is the same way as you did it.

I didn't line up the back and front of the pants so my measurement is smaller than yours. Lining them up usually adds one more inch. When you get the pants in, can you tell me how much the legs get bigger between 28 and 29? Thanks.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
I swore off Jcrew a couple of years ago in favor of better quality stuff and to just to take some time to re-evaluate after being initiated to the ways of SF. What I've decided is that their knits are not worth my money at any cost. That excludes me buying polo's and sweaters and I'm covered from the waist down with SF approved denim and Incotex Chino Lino's in the summer. Hence, my pickups are limited to ***** and oddly enough I just opted for 3 shirts from the GAP at $20 each because I liked them better than anything I saw at Jcrew.

I actually don't own anything from J. Crew still. I've had a crew-neck that seemed pretty decent. At $15-$20 I'd like it as something to throw on. The shirts i've dealt with were super soft and i definitely would grab a ton. I really hope the quality isn't as bad on other stuff as you say.

( i do ahve a bunch of ties I got at $15, ribbon belts, etc.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads