• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I haven't worn a black shoe in 6 months.

woolymammoth

Reaction score
I'd like to be wearing these...

blk-123.jpg

Uncle Jam's Army

Reaction score
I am in the courtroom quite a bit and it is a cardinal sin to wear something that draws attention to you, and away from your unassailable logic in your argument. Black shoes are necessary tools of the trade.....though I am digging the brown shoes I've bought for those days I'm not in the courtroom.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncle Jam's Army
I am in the courtroom quite a bit and it is a cardinal sin to wear something that draws attention to you, and away from your unassailable logic in your argument. Black shoes are necessary tools of the trade.....though I am digging the brown shoes I've bought for those days I'm not in the courtroom.

Wasn't Denny Crane undefeated?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncle Jam's Army

I'm in court almost daily and seldom wear black shoes. Guess I'm a cardinal sinner. Also, many of the more successful private practitioners dress quite flamboyantly. I'm in crim law, if that makes a difference.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 1/3 of my dress shoes are black and I estimate I wear them about 1/4 of the time. Currently cordovan / oxblood pulls the most weight. I feel black goes best with lighter grey suits. Pre-SF I wore black much more (probably 3/4 of the time). Of casual shoes I have one pair of black Doc Martins that I have not worn in about a year, but I think I will pull them out in the fall.

Neo1824

Reaction score
My preferences have definitely changed over the last couple years but still like to wear black shoes on occasion...just not as much as varying shades of brown.

arvidg

Reaction score
I, like, totally get the iGent brown-shoes-only groupthink. Now, what should I get for wearing with white tie -- brown patent leather opera pumps or burgundy?

TasselsHongKong

Reaction score
I think the reason we're all on this forum is because we all agree that black is safe, while non-black is much more stylish. Brown and burgundy being the next step but now people are progressing to colors like twilight and midnight blue as well as olive and chameleon.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
Black shoes are the new brown shoes.
- I say navy or dark blue is the new black.
- I am still looking for a black pair

factorial

Reaction score
For a travel wardrobe (i.e. what I wear) it's a lot easier to wear one pair of black shoes that will work with any shade of gray or blue and go unnoticed for a few days straight than it is to wear one pair of tan or brown shoes. As such, my black dress shoes get a lot more wear than do my brown shoes.

That said, I enjoy brown for casual shoes (normally wear tan loafers or boat shoes), and I'd like to add a pair of RM Williams Comfort Craftsmen in Chestnut as I think they'll work for both business casual and casual.

pkincy

Reaction score
When I first traveled I also brought one pair of shoes with a matching belt because it did lighten the load.

However the new 22 inch wheeled carryon's (I have a Hartmann) allow you to go back to brown if you like. I routinely pack the bottom of the case with 2 pair of good brown shoes with wooden shoe trees and put a week's worth of business and casual clothes on top of them. The top of the case has a casual pair of loafers or running shoes along with my casual clothes.

One advantage of this is that in a week of work I wear one pair of shoes 3 days and one 2 days and the shoes last a ton longer given the time to relax themselves and completely dry out. While not downtown on appointments the loafers (or flip flops as my main travel is Honolulu) give the better shoes a bit more rest.

Perry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads