• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So the saga continues: I returned the motherfucker. When I got home this evening, I tried it with every combination I could think of, and I still ended up looking like a trooper. Quick spin in the dryer, quick recovery of the tags, and off to the store. Bought a pair of the summerweight chinos, regular fit, very white, instead. And on sale for only 29.99. So I ended up saving 40 bucks from my original purchase. And they are very nice.

I should know better than to buy beige shirts by now, but what can I say. I can wear shirts that are any variation of blue: navy, light, cobalt, striped, gingham, chambray. I can wear grey, even charcoal. I can even do some greens, if they're the right greens. I can wear white. I cannot do beige, pink, red, orange. Why do I still try?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are super slim at the ankle (comparable to APC NS), but, like all J. Crew pants, the thighs and ass are too big.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the Ludlow two-button suits (their newer "trim" cut)? With my student discount I can get the jacket for around $300. How is the fit/quality for the price?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
like all J. Crew pants, the thighs and ass are too big.

Though not for those of us who don't want to look like Mick Jagger.

EdenResident

Reaction score
Just bought the classic-fit chinos in size 28. The waist is a little small but the legs fit perfectly. Will the legs get bigger if I size up to 29? Or should I stay with the 28 and hope it will stretch?

Thanks. (My local stores don't carry anything under 30 so I have to ask).

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
They are super slim at the ankle (comparable to APC NS), but, like all J. Crew pants, the thighs and ass are too big.

+1

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If J. Crew started slimming the thighs and seat, I'd stop buying their pants.

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they should alter the sihlouette on the majority of their offerings, just the ones that are called "slim fit"

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sizing down on the Officer's Chinos because the seat and thigh is too baggy and they stretch a lot in the waist. I had 32's and exchanged them for 31's.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
If J. Crew started slimming the thighs and seat, I'd stop buying their pants.

+1

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think most of J. Crew pants have a certain sillouette that's not meant to look slim. It's intentionally more traditional looking, which means a fuller cut.

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
Just bought the classic-fit chinos in size 28. The waist is a little small but the legs fit perfectly. Will the legs get bigger if I size up to 29? Or should I stay with the 28 and hope it will stretch?
I'm doing the opposite as you. I have 29's and just ordered 28's (not received yet) because the waist is a little too loose and the legs are little too baggy.
FYI...with the 29's, the waist measures 31" around. It measures 8.75" wide across at the knees. You can also contact them directly for measurements.
By chance, could you measure the waist of your 28's for me? (Yeah I know, I could just email them, I'm curious in seeing how they will fit).

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I think most of J. Crew pants have a certain sillouette that's not meant to look slim. It's intentionally more traditional looking, which means a fuller cut.

I definitely see where you are coming from.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
& I can see how they're not for everybody. At the same time, you can be "slim," as I am, and still not have to wear slim trousers, that is, still look good in a full cut like the J. Crew. To me, a full cut doesn't mean the same thing as "big" sizing for the overweight man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads