• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Great pickup, VG. Loved the photos. Thanks for posting them.

Yep. Keeping up with a nice umbrella is no different than keeping up with a nice pen, bag, gloves or sunglasses, yet SF seems to have far more advocates of cheap umbrellas than disposable Bics.

I wonder, does anyone have any experience with the small pocket umbrella from Swims?

1228315385.jpg

It looks like it might be perfect for a bag or briefcase. Sought of a "just in case" kinda thing...For the days where there is a chance of rain, but not high enough for you to carry the big umbrella...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I used to carry one, not this brand, in my bag and on trips. It didn't survive a storm so I no longer bother with one.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now this thread has me wondering about gray umbrellas. I'm not seeing any offhand. Any sources? AndI'm not looking for custom, I know I can go that route if need be.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota
It looks like it might be perfect for a bag or briefcase. Sought of a "just in case" kinda thing...For the days where there is a chance of rain, but not high enough for you to carry the big umbrella...

For collapsible umbrellas, I like vintage Knirps. They made some very nice models back in the day. But it takes a bit of hunting to find a good one.

RJE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
It sounds fantastic, actually. If it were gray silk, it would be even more fanastic.

- B

Hickory with silk canopy.
DSC02817.JPG

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Ive never understood the appeal of whangee handles. Great colour canopy and shine on the hardware though.

I think it's the practicality of the grip. It's interesting though, because it seems like the whangee seems like something salvaged after any and all woods were not available.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the ultimate classic English handle - if it works for John Steed, it works for me. What's not to like?
inlove.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It's the ultimate classic English handle - if it works for John Steed, it works for me. What's not to like?
inlove.gif

No doubt. The funny thing is, I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me - kind of like gin and tonics.

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota

My just-in-case umbrella is an automatic folder from Doppler (p 26 forward) - for what it is (ie not a Brigg by any standard) it's very sturdy and the mechanics are reliable, all for a very decent price. Doppler also makes very small pocket sized brollies and cheaper non-automatic mid-sized folders but they aren't as nice.

RJE

Reaction score
I've been looking for wallets like these for a long time. They're both from Garrard & Co: the red one (sadly, it only looks this red in bright sunshine) is crocodile with 9ct gold corners; the black one is calf edged in 9ct gold. They're approximately 7 inches long.
garrard.jpg

Lucy J

Reaction score
Another outstanding performance from my solid cherry Brigg in the intense storm/squall that hit parts of London yesterday evening as I was walking to the station. The downpour was so intense that I was thankful that I was also wearing my Burberry trench and boots to keep me dry from the waist down, but the top half of me was nicely dry thanks to my Brigg standing proud against the ferocious onslaught of wind rain and hail...

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucy J
Another outstanding performance from my solid cherry Brigg in the intense storm/squall that hit parts of London yesterday evening as I was walking to the station. The downpour was so intense that I was thankful that I was also wearing my Burberry trench and boots to keep me dry from the waist down, but the top half of me was nicely dry thanks to my Brigg standing proud against the ferocious onslaught of wind rain and hail...
We certainly don't need any more adjectives to describe Brigg's performance

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it very windy? Is it a 10-rib umbrella? As I've reported here a couple times, one of my Briggs umbrella bent a rib against NY's strong wind like it was warm butter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads