• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I haven't worn a black shoe in 6 months.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
A couple of unpopular blacks...Grant 888 vs. Vale 8000
45429436.jpg

87578585.jpg

Are you kidding me? Those are money.

SF opens a new world of non-black shoes to noobs, but it doesn't advocate getting rid of them completely. Stay healthy, people.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black...and Monks....lets keep the double ugly going...
Lobb William, Alden Black Shell, A. Testoni
14147040.jpg

Regards.
PS. Excuse the bathroom lighting camera phone pics...guess none of these 5 pairs of double uglies deserve wearing. Maybe I should post black laceups next...!

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 16 pair in my rotation, and 4 are black. I don't have a problem with that. My sleek Church's monkstraps are probably my favorite black pair. The others don't hit the rotation much.

pkincy

Reaction score
Black shoes are boring. Yes I have 3-4 pair to 10-15 times that in other shades. And more importantly the black shoes simply never get worn.

Perry

Loudly

Reaction score
In the US, I wore 90% brown. In London, 90% black (100% Mon-Fri).

As reported before, it's just the way of things here and not likely to change.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best piece of clothing is a black lamb leather jacket. Brown shoes just wouldn't go with this.

To people who don't wear black shoes, do you not have any black clothing? or can you find ways to get around the black/brown clash?

Astan

Reaction score
Everyone should have at least one pair of black shoes. Very versitile, classic, ect. But the problem became one of frequency. It is alright to wear a pair of black shoes when one is unsure how to color coordinate their suit but - like so many problems so often do - it became "what was easy to do". People began doing what was easy. And that which is easy to do, isn't always what is best (one could say the same about cooking as well).

ajv

Reaction score
I must admit that I do not wear black often, event though I have a few pairs and even thinking about buying a new pair of black G&G. Most of my shoes are colored, orange, blue, raspberry, green, blue and many different shades of brown. As I don't have to wear a suit very often, I can easily wear a pair of black trousers with a colored shoe. But I do not dare wearing anything else with a black pin-stripe suit but a pair of very well polished black shoes. Call me classical, but that is my taste. On the other hand I remember shocking my co-workers in London when wearing a grey suit with brown suede oxfords.

Astan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
I must admit that I do not wear black often, event though I have a few pairs and even thinking about buying a new pair of black G&G. Most of my shoes are colored, orange, blue, raspberry, green, blue and many different shades of brown. As I don't have to wear a suit very often, I can easily wear a pair of black trousers with a colored shoe. But I do not dare wearing anything else with a black pin-stripe suit but a pair of very well polished black shoes. Call me classical, but that is my taste. On the other hand I remember shocking my co-workers in London when wearing a grey suit with brown suede oxfords.

Those are some interesting colors. Pics?

Four Aces

Reaction score
Black shoes are necessary but in my shoes collection, about 10% are black. Most others are different brown or tan.

Unless black suits or black pants, I mostly wear brown/tan shoes.

Lucky7

Reaction score
I have a few necessary pairs, but rarely wear them...there are so many other beautiful colors. They do have their place though!

Biscione

Reaction score
A great pair of black shoes is extremely elegant. As with most of you I wear brown shoes almost exclusively, but black shouldn't be neglected.

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Astan
Those are some interesting colors. Pics?

I was thinking of maybe put a few pics on the Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central in the next few days..........stay tuned.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads