• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
0195176006.jpg

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Kavalier and Klay fell apart when WWII hits. Chabon writes beautifully about being young and stupid, but I never get on with him when he tries to tackle Big Themes.

Just started Richard Price's Bloodbrothers.

Fell apart's a little strong, but I agree that the beginning of K+K is the best.

Did anyone read Jonathen Lethem's "You Don't Love Me Yet"? NOT A FAN.

Octavio Interrupted

Reaction score
The Assistant by Bernard Malamud. Depressing and naturalistic in the best mid-20th century way. It's about an aging Jewish grocer and his wife and grown daughter, and what happens when a drifter shows up and starts working at their failing grocery store. So far it's great -- really enveloping and real. I can see this little store, like a place I've been to before.

The Age of Pericles by (no kidding) Don Nardo. Great little introductory volume, apparently written for teenagers, but a good way in for ignorant grownups like myself as well.

Billy & the Boingers: Bootleg. Classic volume of maybe the greatest newspaper strip of the 80s, Berke Breathed's Bloom County. Pass the "Spam."

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Literal and significant aren't connected at the hip. Embrace the universe Faulkner created, as he created it, for a more productive reading.

I know being pithy and cryptic is sort of "de rigeur" on SF (okay, actually I've just been wanting to use 'de rigeur' in a sentence for YEARS), but what exactly do you mean? It seems to me that such an embrace and a discussion of literal/significant is exactly what GoSurf is talking about.

From what you said above, I don't know whether you are wanting us to read it that Caddy smells like trees simply because she climbs in trees and rubs leaves all over her hoo-hah... or whether it is Benjy's attempt to connect some ephemeral sense of being to a word or a concept that can evoke to others that unspeakable sense.

delirium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Fukuyama the neocon guy? Huh. I'll definitely have to check these out.

let me know what you think. i think it's a pretty interesting area to explore and think about.

fossil8412

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fossil8412
Clancy Martin's "How to Sell."

Great coming of age book that I could see a lot of people on here enjoying. John Updike-ish; Its a quick read, and I highly recommend looking it up.

Finished this. Moved on to Fitzgerald's "This Side of Paradise."

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I know being pithy and cryptic is sort of "de rigeur" on SF (okay, actually I've just been wanting to use 'de rigeur' in a sentence for YEARS), but what exactly do you mean? It seems to me that such an embrace and a discussion of literal/significant is exactly what GoSurf is talking about.

From what you said above, I don't know whether you are wanting us to read it that Caddy smells like trees simply because she climbs in trees and rubs leaves all over her hoo-hah... or whether it is Benjy's attempt to connect some ephemeral sense of being to a word or a concept that can evoke to others that unspeakable sense.

I took the comment to mean that there's only so much to be gained by trying to take the delicate mechanism apart and figure out why Faulkner chose to have her smell like trees to Benjy when she's a virgin. Benjy perceives what he perceives. Is there some association with the "naturalness" of youth, innocence, tree-climbing, etc.? Sure. Is there some sense of the "differentness" of Benjy's conceptualizing of things? Sure. But ultimately, it is what it is.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Hey, I'm reading that too.

fistbump.gif

I actually got the audiobook version. Great to listen to during a run or just trekking around town.

Lachy

Reaction score
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but now I'm getting into it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads