• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help KWilk Pick a Graduation Present

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with the knife. You'll get to Alinea eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later obviously.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
go with the knives. They will carry you into your future and you can bring them to DC for the holiday party and put them to use!
smile.gif

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted for the kitchen table at Trotters. Upon further thought you should get the knife as you will have it for a very long time. In regards to Trotters...maybe some of the Chicago members will take you
bounce2.gif
. I would pitch in even if I couldn't be there.

ThomasoAIK

Reaction score
Get the knives, eventually they will pay for those tables many times over if you become a decent cheff

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Well, this wouldn't be a set. This would be a single, $300 knife. Plus, it's me buying it. If it were someone else, I'd allow them to choose any of the three for me, because I see good choices in them all.

Ebay it for <$200!

Saigon

Reaction score
I voted Shun. I'm kind of biased though as I have one. But also, i figured you can get a good job, work hard with the knife, and then afford your own Trotters' table or grand tour, am I right? Also, Trotter or Achatz will be much more impressed, and therefore more willing to offer you a potential stage, if you are paying for one of those meals out of your own pocket. Maybe. Edit, didnt see the part about you buying the gift for yourself, but I still go with the knife.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude. Some people say live for the future, some people say live for now. Each perspective has validity for different people. Who are you? That's the choice you make. Me, I try to live as if each moment was the culmination of a life's work; it reminds me of the depth of moments, to commune both with myself and those who share the moment with me, if only in spirit. A meal can do that (heck, a cocktail can, believe me). A knife most definitely can -- and if I was shelling out $300 for a knife I'd want it to have been as passionately made as a meal at Alinea, i.e., http://www.japanesechefsknife.com ~ H

Liam

Reaction score
Treat yourself to a really expensive meal, I think you will feel satisfied that you did it.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a tough poll, actually. Yes, the knife is tangible, but any of those three gifts would be permanent for you.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Dude.

Some people say live for the future, some people say live for now. Each perspective has validity for different people. Who are you? That's the choice you make.

Me, I try to live as if each moment was the culmination of a life's work; it reminds me of the depth of moments, to commune both with myself and those who share the moment with me, if only in spirit. A meal can do that (heck, a cocktail can, believe me). A knife most definitely can -- and if I was shelling out $300 for a knife I'd want it to have been as passionately made as a meal at Alinea, i.e., http://www.japanesechefsknife.com

~ H

You certainly have a way with words. Thanks for weighing in.
Originally Posted by Rambo
Are the knives you've got now doing a decent job? If not, get the knives. If so, get cash. You'll need it to help with your slave wages.
They're okay, but not great. I probably need a new knife BEFORE I go on my externship.
Originally Posted by HORNS
This is a tough poll, actually. Yes, the knife is tangible, but any of those three gifts would be permanent for you.
They would all three definitely stay with me for a while.
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Alinea's would be pretty akward alone IMO
I doubt it. TFL, Alinea, Trotter's, these guys love it when people come in alone, they can tell it's because the person is passionate about food. Hell, at The French Laundry, single diners are automatically VIP'ed and given multiple extra courses.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They're okay, but not great. I probably need a new knife BEFORE I go on my externship.
Aren't you going to be chopping onions and doing sauce reductions in the beginning? What do you need Shun knives for? If you really need a knives, get some Forschner blades. You'd spend less than $100 on a set of 4 and you'd be golden.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm fine with that. Or if I had money I'd take Lish. Wouldn't you go somewhere alone?

A lesser, single course meal would be fine alone but something that is a several hour long process doesnt seem right alone with nobody to talk to.
I'm probably with teger on this one UNLESS your being a graduate of culinary school would convince them to do something special for you. If you could buy yourself dinner at Alinea but get them to let you spend some time in the kitchen, getting to talk with the chefs and observe may well make up for the lack of someone to share the meal with.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1&gt; I have seen people eat at Alinea alone. It is a VERY long meal for that. I eat at nice places alone all the time, but not sure I could handle it.

2&gt; I voted for the Alinea dinner before I realized you were paying yourself. I had some superstition issues with the Knife as a &quot;gift&quot;.

3&gt; To each his own, but I like German Knives. I think Globals are cooler Japanese knives than Shun though.... Still, it is probably your best bet to go with a knife you love to start your new career.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads