• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most over-appreciated movies

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a thread about underappreciated, why not about over?

Here's a short list:

Little Miss Sunshine - Meanders, boring, predictable, cutesy but not cute

300 - Douchebag Film

The Dark Night - Average Action Flick

Sin City - WTF did I just watch?

Juno - Highly unbelievable, but Ellen Page is a good actor

Knocked Up - Total rubbish... Completely unbelievable

I'm also tempted to say Taxi Driver, but I won't as De Niro is one of my favorite actors. I've seen it once and it didn't do it for me. Perhaps I missed the point of it or it's just the genre. But, then again, I didn't enjoy Citizen Kane the first time I saw it. The second time I watched it (a few months later) I loved it and realized why people say it is one of the best movies ever made.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Dark Knight
thread imo

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Knocked Up was totally stupid, I agree. Juno too. Little Miss Sunshine for sure. Also:

Wedding Crashers - about 20% funny ad 80% corny or boring

Mystic River - generally, Clint Eastwood directed movies and Sean Penn performances are often overrated (not always) but this one was a double whammy.

Actually, most movies suck and I could spend way too much time with this list, so I'll stop.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Actually, most movies suck and I could spend way too much time with this list, so I'll stop.

Definitely true.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear that. I'd say I enjoy maybe 10% of the movies I see, I have friends who like EVERYTHING they see.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Forrest Gump. Sentimental, maudlin crap. Watch a moron stumble through history for three hours. The only redeeming feature is Gary Sinise. That movie makes my skin itch. Shawshank Redemption. OK, but just OK. The Lord of the Rings movies, like the Lord of the Rings books. Those Hobbits and their hairy feet creep me out. I threw up my hands when the first movie ended on the gripping cliffhanger of someone getting into a canoe. They really expected me to sit through 600 more hours of this?

Composer_1777

Reaction score
ET

Willy wonka and the chocolate factory

LOTR: Fellowship of the ring

All Harry potters after the second one.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Definitely true.
Originally Posted by nate10184
I hear that. I'd say I enjoy maybe 10% of the movies I see, I have friends who like EVERYTHING they see.
confused.gif
Whatever. You could say most books and music suck too. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of great stuff that doesn't suck. People who don't like anything suck too, you know.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Forrest Gump. Sentimental, maudlin crap. Watch a moron stumble through history for three hours. The only redeeming feature is Gary Sinise. That movie makes my skin itch.

The Lord of the Rings movies, like the Lord of the Rings books. Those Hobbits and their hairy feet creep me out. I threw up my hands when the first movie ended on the gripping cliffhanger of someone getting into a canoe. They really expected me to sit through 600 more hours of this?

+100000000 on forest gump. I remember when everyone was going nuts over this movie. Even as a youngin' I was a misanthrope.

-100000000 on LOTR. I loved the books and the movies were teh awesome. It's so rare that books like that get good treatment on film. Case in point: Dune. How often has it been tried and how badly have they failed each time?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
confused.gif
Whatever. You could say most books and music suck too. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of great stuff that doesn't suck. People who don't like anything suck too, you know.

Maybe. I don't really like watching movies so I guess I'm a tough audience to begin with. To stay on topic, Remember the Titans is the most overrated film of all time. It wasn't even good.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
-100000000 on LOTR. I loved the books and the movies were teh awesome. It's so rare that books like that get good treatment on film. Case in point: Dune. How often has it been tried and how badly have they failed each time?

The second, admittedly, is better than the first. Never made it through the excessively long third. But, damningly, I couldn't really tell you what happened in any of them, other than something about the ring and Golem. And that awful canoe scene.

I have a similar problem with the Harry Potter movies, but those don't seem to receive the same reverence.

I have plenty of geeky interests, so I'm not a snob about this stuff, but this one eludes me.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Wrestler.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics