• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
Yes, it was Kiwi. I was shocked to say the least. I've used Kiwi all my life. No mention of alcohol is made on the tin. Just "a unique blend of natural waxes and genuine vegetable turpentine". Furthermore it is said to nourish the leather.

RM's tin gives no clues as to the contents. But they recommend it in conjunction with their leather conditioner to help preserve and nourish the leather. Kevin at the Prospect shop stressed that the polish was just that: polish. Not a nourisher.

Both brands contain 50 ml. RM's cost AUD 9.95 minus about 10% sales tax refund at the airport. Bootsonline charge AUD 8.00, shipping not included. I can get Kiwi for about AUD 7.00 here in Sweden. Have no idea what the RM products cost here as I live a long way from a retailer.

Leather conditioner ("that contains a special mix of natural Australian ingredients. Includes beeswax and lanolin..."), 500 ml, cost AUD 19.95 minus 10%.

You live and learn.

Cheers

This is a bit worrying to me as like you, I've used Kiwi for years (well forever). However, I can find solace in the fact that I've only polished my black & chestnut RMW's once each with Kiwi.

I just may pick up some of the RMW polish and leather conditioner to be safe.

amce

Reaction score
My photography "skills" don't do them justice but for what it's worth:
25rm6bb.jpg
On parade: from left to right 2xCC chestnut, CC mock croc, CC black, MTO Craftsman with screwed leather sole. All of these on the B543 last. Finally the B555 Macquaries with leather sole. All have been conditioned or re-conditioned but not yet polished.
2n8rbdi.jpg
The Comfort Craftsman Mock Croc
11gsy6g.jpg
The Macquarie B555 in chestnut
5rw2w.jpg
Toe comparison: Mock croc B543, MTO Craftsman screwed sole and Macquarie B555 leather sole Cheers

Tidybeard

Reaction score
On the subject of polishes, the saddle dressing is to be used on the rougher leathers (vesta, scout), such as on the yard boot, gammon and stockyard. The polish is for the yearling, veal and 'roo, and the conditioner (which is another product), can be used on either. Hope this helps.

Nice collection amce. I did get up to six paris myself at one stage but now I'm down to four. Interestingly I recently picked up a pair of Polo Redding II (which are chelsea boots made by C&J to handgrade standard), and I have to say I much prefer my RMW Craftsmen and Turnout. These really are excellent boots at a great price.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
On the subject of polishes, the saddle dressing is to be used on the rougher leathers (vesta, scout), such as on the yard boot, gammon and stockyard. The polish is for the yearling, veal and 'roo, and the conditioner (which is another product), can be used on either. Hope this helps.

Nice collection amce. I did get up to six paris myself at one stage but now I'm down to four. Interestingly I recently picked up a pair of Polo Redding II (which are chelsea boots made by C&J to handgrade standard), and I have to say I much prefer my RMW Craftsmen and Turnout. These really are excellent boots at a great price.

Thank you. This is about as big as it gets. Will now endeavour to keep all of these alive and kicking for the next 10 - 20 years! I have access to a RMW trained and authorised cobbler here in Sweden. Between the two of us we should be able to do it.

Cheers

rammie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard

Thanks for clearing that up. How often wold you recommend using the leather conditioner and how often do you polish your boots?

Tidybeard

Reaction score
No problem. I find that I use the saddle dressing on the yard boots every couple of weeks or so (probably not necessary but it does tidy them up and I wear them a lot), I polish the turnout/craftsmen after every 6 wears or so and conditioner on all of them 2-3 times a year. They all seem to be holding up pretty well.

Hope this helps,

TB

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
amce, love the Macquarie. Very sleek look. I just may have to add a pair to the rotation, thanks for the pics.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
love the mock crock, is it yearling with the stamp of mock crock? awesome though.
love the round toes also

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
love the mock crock, is it yearling with the stamp of mock crock? awesome though. love the round toes also
Sorry but I'm not sure what leather they use. It is stamped. Anyone out there in the know? Out of the box I thought that they were a little too "glossy". They came with a 50 ml jar of neutral conditioner/polish. After a couple of polishes they now have a deeper, more subtle, shine. They look absolutely marvellous together with Levi's (501's of course). Cheers

Presto87

Reaction score
Didn't want to start a new thread just for this ... had my MTO Craftsman, Chestnut (french calf/yearling) since December ... conditioned/polished a few times ... last night decided to leave conditioner on overnight (first time I tried this, as I was told the leather needs to 'absorb' the conditioner) ...

... anyway, woke up to find that I somehow managed to get conditioner onto the elastic (i.e. non leather) portions of the shoe! And now, needless to say - the elastic looks ugly: mixture of brown/black 'stains' ... and to make things worse, I can't seem to achieve the high shine so many say are possible with the french calf leather! Thoughts???

Inf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Presto87
Didn't want to start a new thread just for this ... had my MTO Craftsman, Chestnut (french calf/yearling) since December ... conditioned/polished a few times ... last night decided to leave conditioner on overnight (first time I tried this, as I was told the leather needs to 'absorb' the conditioner) ...

... anyway, woke up to find that I somehow managed to get conditioner onto the elastic (i.e. non leather) portions of the shoe! And now, needless to say - the elastic looks ugly: mixture of brown/black 'stains' ... and to make things worse, I can't seem to achieve the high shine so many say are possible with the french calf leather! Thoughts???

I would probably take it by a cobbler and see what they think, they would know best I think.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
^^^^^^^
i have also got conditioner on the elastics (the edges) it usualy drys off or goes away but my shoes are black so i dont know. ultimatily the elastics can be replaced by RMW if it is that bad but generaly you pants cover that part of the boot anyway. as for the shine. you wont get a high shine from conditioner and it also depends what degree of shine you want.
to get a nice shine, buy some RMW shoe polish as we have learned it does not contain alcohol, and wipe it over the entire shoe with a clean rag or tooth brush. leave it there for a while (an hour or so until it has dried) then buff off with a buff brush fast and and i bit of pressure also. afterwards go over with a cloth wrapped aroung a finger and very quickily rub all over (the faster, the more friction is generated thus a better shine) if you want a mirror shine then search 'bull shine' or 'bulling' on SF, i've never done it so i cant really comment.

regards

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Presto87

I tend to be very careful when applying conditioner or polish around the elastics. Even so I've managed to get a few spots on them but they are hardly noticeable. Managed to scrap off a conditioner spot with my fingernail. Polish spots brushed off with time.

About the shine: I've achieved a really nice one on my black French Calf Craftsman by the same method Wrigglez describes. When applying the polish (RMW's now days!) I put a small amount on the cloth and then dip it in water. Rub it in, wait about an hour then buff with a soft cloth and finally with a nylon stocking.

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads